Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,610,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
One word on moving to Indiana .. Don’t. I grew up there and can’t think of one good thing to say about Indiana or Indianapolis. Of course, if you are living on disability or other government handouts, you will fit right in so you might find it to your liking.
You sound just as mean and bitter as my ex-wife's grandma. Not everybody has the same experience. Just because Indiana didn't work out for you doesn't mean it won't work out for anybody. That said, Indiana must have really dumped a number on you. A number 2, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Will you look at this. We poor, benighted folk of the Hoosier state managed to make some progress--even as reported hate crimes rose nationally!

https://patch.com/indiana/indianapol...shows-decrease

And we're below the national average on SNAP recipients!

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...sheets#Indiana

But I'm sure we have a long, long way to go to catch up with Washington.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Some of these apt complexes have serious crime issues, even outside of Indy. $850 for a 1BR ain't worth the hassle. $1200 in downtown Indy with possibly no utilities included is ludicrous. For near the same cost you can get equally nice apts in Center City Philly or downtown Pittsburgh, which are WAY more car free.
I lived in a relatively inexpensive complex in Carmel for three years. No crime issues, but it had a lot of Indian families and foreigners. Overall, I’d say the Carmel complexes and similar will be much more family friendly and have less crime.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Check in with the NW Indiana forum. They could probably help you there.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM

174 posts, read 243,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
[Mod cut.]
Are there areas of Indiana like this? Yep not going to argue that, just like there probably are in any state if you go looking for it (including parts of Washington). However, most of Indiana is not like that. I understand that something terrible obviously happened to you, whether due to family, job, something else or all of the above, but painting the whole state that way is just ignorant.

I'm sure people could just say any stereotype they want about a state and it would sure fit some of the population, but like any stereotype it will not fit all.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-15-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
...I could not justify moving 2000 miles to a town that is not all that much bigger or different or more exciting than Muncie. I am sure Spokane is a very nice city and the people who live there love living there, but, lets face it, Spokane is about the equivalent of Ft Wayne and Evansville. At best, Spokane would be considered a lateral move from either of those cities rather than an upgrade. The only thing Spokane has going for it that Ft Wayne, Evansville, and Muncie lack is legal weed.
Maybe if one doesn't take the outdoor offerings into perspective, then yea, maybe Spokane would be along the same lines as Ft. Wayne or Evansville. A four hour drive from Spokane puts one in Glacier National Park. Not only that, even short drives likely result in amazing outdoor places in the region. I know some will disagree, but I believe many outdoor enthusiast would say that fact along ranks Spokane much higher than Ft. Wayne or Evansville. To some people, a tree is a tree, and the forest and mountains of Flathead Valley are no different than the trees and lake of Eagle Creek.

While I'm now looking at more warmer climates, in my younger years, I did read up a lot about Spokane. Of course being an outdoor lover, especially areas like Glacier NP, I never saw it in the same category as Ft. Wayne and Evansville. Guess in the end it all comes down to individual perspective.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:15 AM

468 posts, read 465,968 times
I was born and raised in Indiana but have lived in New Jersey, Colorado, Mississippi, North Carolina and Florida. My home state has its pluses and minuses. The pluses are that the cost of living is very reasonable and it's a great place to raise a family. Indiana isn't known to be a tourist mecca so I'm sure many people craving scenic beauty wouldn't be happy there. Also, Indiana does have its share of "rednecks" but I've encountered those types of folks every place I've lived. My girlfriend is from New York and they've got plenty of rednecks there too. Indiana has all sorts of people. There are liberals, moderates, and conservatives scattered throughout the state. Perhaps Martinsville might have rubbed SpokaneInvestor the wrong way. I've never been there so I can't comment one way or another. I think it's unfair to generalize about an entire state regardless of where you live. I've found many positives and many negatives in my current state (Florida) but I see no point in going on a forum to denigrate the entire state of Florida based on the negatives.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:42 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Everyone: This thread has been cleaned up and numerous inappropriate posts have been deleted. Please remember that personal attacks can earn you infractions or even a permanent ban from posting. Attacking, bickering and trolling with off-topic remarks only derail the thread. Report personal attacks and do not reply to them.

Thank you, those who posted comments helpful to the OP. If the thread goes awry again, it will be closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Check in with the NW Indiana forum. They could probably help you there.

Understood, will check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana