Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 17,477 times

Advertisements

Much appreciated. For me, my income at the moment and what is still being determined (disability) is non-taxable as it is not considered reportable income. So, it is one of the items I was looking at when I decided on Indiana instead of Illinois. Also, many of the locations I've seen in Indiana have disabled veteran discounts on their property taxes ranging from a few hundred off to a full percentage point lower. So, I started focusing on the cost of housing, the utility costs, internet service, as well as ease of access to other areas. With Illinois raising the minimum wage, I think that is going to result in higher charges overall for services up and down the supply chain for businesses (even though it is going to be gradually implemented) so it may make overall expenses a lot higher in comparison even with the tax difference added in.

Due to my limiting myself to the price range that I can afford at the moment, the number of houses within my price range are somewhat limited at the moment. When I add the requirements needed by VA inspections, it gets smaller still. I could go for higher based on what I would receive with full VA disability, but I'm not looking for a large place and I would not use it as a basis for expenses until I'm actually receiving it. But I'm still looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:48 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I would look well outside of Chicagoland in western IN.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:59 AM

12 posts, read 17,477 times
Right now, looking south of State road 2 and north of highway 24. May look a bit north and south of those but not too far. IF I do choose a place in Illinois, it'll be close to the border to escape from some of the high fees tacked onto items. Still keeping things loose as I'm waiting on the VA.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:22 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
Indiana is a low-tax state for corporations. For individuals who rent, it is comparable to Massachusetts. For people with an inexpensive house, results vary a LOT by county.

Our state income tax is 3.06%, which is lower than Illinois' but all 92 counties have a local income tax. Along the Illinois border, Lake County has a 1.5% county income tax while Newton County has a 1.0% county income tax, so in either case you'll pay Indiana over 4% where Illinois lowered its income tax to 3.75%.

Kankakee County has no county sales tax, but cities may charge one -- the highest is 2.0%. The statewide sales tax is 6.25% where Indiana charges 7%.

In Indiana, there is a 1% cap for homeowners that is shared by school districts, municipalities and the county, at least in theory. School districts can ask for more on a temporary basis and communities that are not circling the drain tend to approve so 2% is a possibility.
If one can get over the housing issue, having to have this and that, you can save a lot of money. Of course the problem is that people are picky. They have to have a certain school district(s) which are usually better schools, houses cost more, etc..

Rents are absolutely horrible for what central Indiana offers. A co-worker said she was at $850 for a one bedroom in a somewhat newer complex near Zionsville/SW Hamilton County. That same apartment in downtown Indy is $1,200+. The whole argument that living downtown can allow one to really consider not having a car and save that money is basically laughable when you end up being charged $400 or so more a month to live downtown and be "car free."

Also, never forget that the Indiana property tax cap has two issues: First it is based on assessed value. Our assessed value has risen around $60K-$70K in three years. I think it is finally catching up to where it likely should be, but that just shows how screwed up the system is. This increase should actually be based on housing values increasing. The assessor is claiming that my house has increased in value by 30% in just two years. Housing values haven't risen that much at all, but they know my house was likely undervalued so they know I know I can't really complain. The second issue is that the caps can easy be increased with special referendums. Thankfully we see many of these being blocked, usually causing the local government unit to cut back or just come up with a different plan.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
If one can get over the housing issue, having to have this and that, you can save a lot of money. Of course the problem is that people are picky. They have to have a certain school district(s) which are usually better schools, houses cost more, etc..

Rents are absolutely horrible for what central Indiana offers. A co-worker said she was at $850 for a one bedroom in a somewhat newer complex near Zionsville/SW Hamilton County. That same apartment in downtown Indy is $1,200+. The whole argument that living downtown can allow one to really consider not having a car and save that money is basically laughable when you end up being charged $400 or so more a month to live downtown and be "car free."

Also, never forget that the Indiana property tax cap has two issues: First it is based on assessed value. Our assessed value has risen around $60K-$70K in three years. I think it is finally catching up to where it likely should be, but that just shows how screwed up the system is. This increase should actually be based on housing values increasing. The assessor is claiming that my house has increased in value by 30% in just two years. Housing values haven't risen that much at all, but they know my house was likely undervalued so they know I know I can't really complain. The second issue is that the caps can easy be increased with special referendums. Thankfully we see many of these being blocked, usually causing the local government unit to cut back or just come up with a different plan.
Why are rents horrible?

$850 for a 1BR in Zionsville is a steal compared to how nice the area is. There are few, if any other, places in the country where you could rent an apartment in a community as rich as Zionsville at that price.

I paid about the same price in Carmel. That same apartment in the upscale suburbs of Nashville, northern VA, and even Raleigh would have been considerably more expensive than Carmel.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:11 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why are rents horrible?

$850 for a 1BR in Zionsville is a steal compared to how nice the area is. There are few, if any other, places in the country where you could rent an apartment in a community as rich as Zionsville at that price.

I paid about the same price in Carmel. That same apartment in the upscale suburbs of Nashville, northern VA, and even Raleigh would have been considerably more expensive than Carmel.
Some of these apt complexes have serious crime issues, even outside of Indy. $850 for a 1BR ain't worth the hassle. $1200 in downtown Indy with possibly no utilities included is ludicrous. For near the same cost you can get equally nice apts in Center City Philly or downtown Pittsburgh, which are WAY more car free.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 PM

289 posts, read 224,451 times
One word on moving to Indiana .. Don’t. I grew up there and can’t think of one good thing to say about Indiana or Indianapolis. Of course, if you are living on disability or other government handouts, you will fit right in so you might find it to your liking.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why are rents horrible?

A whole lot more. I can't think of to many places that have amenities that have cheap one bedroom apartments.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Indiana’s infrastructure is a complete joke and dangerous. I’m saving my money and selling my house within the next 5 years. You can find better quality of life places without having a much higher cost of living..

Old 08-31-2019, 07:30 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Indiana’s infrastructure is a complete joke and dangerous. I’m saving my money and selling my house within the next 5 years. You can find better quality of life places without having a much higher cost of living..
Interesting.

Just one link, certainly not the gospel. https://www.homesnacks.net/these-are...merica-123067/

The writer can be a bit off. I think he bases this on very specific areas leaving a lot out.

Another....https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana