Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
That's because it's the midwest too.
That's funny, cuz I've met people like that on both coasts and the various regions in between. It's hard to fit into any small town in any state or country. When a town is so small every body knows every one and their business you are going to stick out like a soar thumb when you come to town. Which might make it hard, but not impossible, to fit in. But If your going to base your opinion of the entire state of indiana off of your experiences in "smallville", then I guess every state sucks just as bad, because they ALL have their own "smallville's"

Based off of your descriptions of people where you work and live, I'm guessing you must be living on the set of Footloose??? If you are not of a small town mentality, move out. Pick a place that has more than one major intersection and maybe a few traffic lights, and you will find it easier to find people more like you, with your interests, who share your points of view, no matter how distorted they may or may not be. Diversity is a numbers game, if you don't have the numbers, you're not going to have the diversity....in any town, in any state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Lack of jobs creates problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Lack of jobs creates problems.
So does being bitter and negative.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGibby View Post
So does being bitter and negative.
Name-calling, eh?

Facts are...and if they are bitter and negative to you, so be it.
I noticed the labeling on here, if one disagrees or doesn't like something, they are "bitter and negative."

The job market in Indiana is poor, so if that sounds negative to you, it should.

Doesn't matter whether you live in a small town or Indianapolis...the job market is bad.
Jobs for high schoolers or second-income mommies are not livable wage jobs.
Just because this isn't affecting you doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it won't ever affect you.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Yes neb, you are bitter and negative:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007712290404
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007712290397

And Honda is going to be up and running by next fall ...

Old 12-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Name-calling, eh?

Facts are...and if they are bitter and negative to you, so be it.
I noticed the labeling on here, if one disagrees or doesn't like something, they are "bitter and negative."

The job market in Indiana is poor, so if that sounds negative to you, it should.

Doesn't matter whether you live in a small town or Indianapolis...the job market is bad.
Jobs for high schoolers or second-income mommies are not livable wage jobs.
Just because this isn't affecting you doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it won't ever affect you.
Where was the name calling? Bitter and negative are adjectives I used to describe the apparant attitude in the many posts you have made that say the same thing over and over...."No jobs" "Not affordable". There have been many responses (myself included) arguing the opposite and why, but you have not offered anything substantial in return to support your opinion.

Statitics contradict your opinions, with some areas maybe being the exception, but as a whole, which is the idea of the "Indiana" thread, the state is either at or better than the national averages when it comes to housing and employment, therefore disproving your constant claim otherwise.

So the "facts" you claim to support and defend are not facts at all....just misinformation...so that rules out the facts, or non-facts, being bitter and negative.

74% of "Hoosiers" own their own home compared to the national avg of 68%. You claimed in an earlier post that you made over $50k / yr and could not afford a house here??? The median Indiana income is $43k and the national median is $44k.....nuff said.

Last edited by ImGibby; 12-29-2007 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 342,397 times
I am currently planning my escape. I moved to Indiana from Michigan 20 years ago. I married into it, if you will. Both ended up being a big mistake. At least in Michigan in the winter there was snow on the ground. I know that we get snow here, but it rarely sticks around. Right now it's frozen muck outside, just ugly. Of course being so flat doesn't help matters either. In Michigan there always seemed to be some kind of outdoor fun to partake in. Skiing, skating, snowmobling and countless other things. I guess I just miss any kind of landscape and lakes. I know that there are closed minded people everywhere, but Indiana seems to have more than it's fair share.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 169,304 times
"The job market in Indiana is poor, so if that sounds negative to you, it should. "

I know manufacturing has been hit pretty hard but, hell, the job market everywhere is poor right now. Here the big thing is construction, and we're feeling the effects, too.

As far as people being closed-minded, are you talkjing about the small-town attitude kinda stuff? You get that everywhere there's a small town. We egt that in small towns in north florida and the panhandle, too.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinFL View Post
I know manufacturing has been hit pretty hard but, hell, the job market everywhere is poor right now. Here the big thing is construction, and we're feeling the effects, too.
That's one of Indiana's biggest problems, it still has so much manufacturing and now that so much is moving to China it's being we are being hit hard by it.

Quote:
As far as people being closed-minded, are you talkjing about the small-town attitude kinda stuff? You get that everywhere there's a small town. We egt that in small towns in north florida and the panhandle, too.
This is so very true. People in smaller towns/communities have this suspicious attitude of anyone in their community they do not know or have not heard of so it makes everyone go a little bonkers. I don't really care when someone moves here. I like bigger cities anyways, which is why I like Fort Wayne. It's got that big city feel to me, yet, it's still not as big as other places, yet.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes neb, you are bitter and negative:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007712290404
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007712290397

And Honda is going to be up and running by next fall ...

Huh? What does Honda have to do with anything?
Everyone's gonna work at Honda?
Not my line of work.

Anyone who disagrees with you is "bitter and negative."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana