Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times

Advertisements

*Black cloud alert, yep, here I come-

Where to start? I would be here for a year whining about the things I hate about Indiana. So I'll keep it as brief as possible.
I'm in Northern Indiana so this wont apply to all of the state:::

Snow- From November to April it snows. That's 6 months of the year. That's half your life spent scraping ice from your car and falling on your butt (like I did Sunday morning).

Ice- Has anyone watched the news and seen that we are in with all the other states getting these ridiculous ice storms? 12 are dead so far. Maybe people should think of this when telling me how stupid I am for moving to CA? Remember EVERY state even Indiana has it's disasters.

Tornados- Nappanee was leveled by a twister awhile back. 1000's out of work and home. Once again, see the last sentence of the "ice" thread.

Humidity- Now, yay summer is here! It's June! Lets all go to the park! Wait, I cant hardly move around in the park because everyone else is there too! Cabin fever from winter makes any outdoor activity unpleasant and finding a private picnic spot is almost unheard of.

Mosquitos- This ties in with the above post. Yay! Somehow we found our own little spot to picnic! The sun is out! The trees are green! The air is muggy and I'm sweating, but at least it's not snowing, right? Ahh, this is nice...Ouch!!! What the?... Gotta pack up and have our picnic IN THE CAR AGAIN due to the Mosquitos trying to eat me! OFF! isn't cutting it. Being allergic to Mosquitos I swell about the size of a half dollar on each bite.

Autumn- Finally, October is here! I made it through a sweltering humid summer and now I can enjoy fall!! Can't complain about this though. I love the turning of the trees and the weatehr is almost perfect in October! but then comes November...doom is just around the corner.

Meds- In November I get back on my Welbutrin. Every year it's worse. The depression only worsens from year to year. Light lamps don't help. Therapy don't help. 4 doctors have told me to move, that's what we're doing. I gave it 31 years and it only gets worse with time. That's depression.

I know some of you here are going to respond to this and try to sugarcoat my complaints, you'll try to, it's as predictable as this wonderful state of ours. This weather brings me down low and I'm sick of it. Unless you experience S.A.D. don't tell me to "cheer up."
Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Jakehorror - fundamentally you feel the same way about Indiana that I do about my current employer and team I work with. I think you're making the right move for you to leave and sunny California as you've described it seems like a great destination for you. I'm planning on doing something different career-wise shortly (let's call it my California-equivalent occupationally), despite that fact that many people I know would give their right arm for a job like mine or to work for the company I work for earning as much as I do. Seriously, we all have our own perceptions and life-paths to take. What's great to someone isn't great to someone else.

I won't sugarcoat your complaints... I know they are very real to you. Just like how others typically don't relate to my work-stress and yearning for change, I admittantly don't relate to your complaints about Indiana. But that's ok. We each will hopefully find what we are looking for eventually.

Lastly, I know I mentioned this to you in another thread, but I want to reiterate because I was serious... once in California, please report back how things are as I do want to read/hear from happy people, and in particular what makes them happy. In my own pursuit of happiness and satisfaction I figure it is always good to read about success stories.

Lastly, I have some experience and knowledge of SAD and general depression. As you probably have already found in your own research, there's a pretty big genetic component and Dr's today do believe it is just a brain chemistry issue. Personally, I think they are only partially correct. A big part of it seems also to be habit and another influencer seems to be social support structure. If one takes medication but does not address the other two things I don't think they will find much success. Perhaps a topic for another thread, I just figured I'd mention these observations as they came to my mind responding to your post.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited by belovenow; 12-11-2007 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks. I agree. Some of the depression does run in our family. My friend moved to SoCal in 1998 and another friend of mine moved to Tucson,AZ. They both said that mentally their depression has gotten so much better that they don't need meds anymore. However, when they come back here to visit they do get rather sad. Moving is NOT a magical soulution, it also takes my own willingness to make the best of my situation, I've tried that here and things are usually pretty even keel til' the bad weather hits, then it's a huge nosedive.
There comes a point in some peoples lives when they know what needs to be done, as with you and your job situation. I wish you the best. I can relate because in a sense your work is a staple for what you represent. It is your livelyhood. It is not only your income, but it's also where you spend 1/3 of your life so it must be at least somewhat tolerable if not enjoyable.
My friends tell me the thing they enjoy most about the west coast is that when they plan something it is rarely ever side-tracked due to bad weather. I've been visiting them for 10 years and I really don't know why it took me so long to make the decision to leave Indiana. I guess I thought I couldn't do it for whatever reason. The downside is realistically we probably never be able to afford to buy a home. But we prefer renting as we like the freedom it provides so really it's not a big issue as it is with others. Also we are empty nesters (and always will be) so the nightlife is very appealing. I'll keep you posted on the + and - of our move. I'm sure it will be rough, but we are really looking forward to the change. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I remember spending a January in Sweden .... ugh!!! Once the novelty of the sun never rising above the horizon (it peeks out around 10am and is completely down and dark again by 3pm) wears off, it really messes with your psyche. Most of the country leaves for sunny climes during that month. I totally understand how S.A.D. can affect your outlook ... I think California may be a great tonic for you Jake.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I remember spending a January in Sweden .... ugh!!! Once the novelty of the sun never rising above the horizon (it peeks out around 10am and is completely down and dark again by 3pm) wears off, it really messes with your psyche. Most of the country leaves for sunny climes during that month. I totally understand how S.A.D. can affect your outlook ... I think California may be a great tonic for you Jake.
Thanks! And the cool thing is when I want snow for Christmas my Mom said we can stay in her home for the week! Nothing to lose really. (except that extra rent money:-)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It has been dark and cloudy for about 2 weeks here in eastern KS with little sun. I make up for the lack of sunlight by getting more exercise and drinking extra amounts of caffeine. I am like the opposite of most people, and prefer the cloudy days to the sunny days. However, I know a friend who lives in Chicago that has SAD so I know how it can impact some people. If you really think about it, however, the US is actually quite a bit further south in latitude than Canada and many European countries. However, the Northwest and Great Lakes experience the most persistant cloudiness during the winter season.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Thanks. I agree. Some of the depression does run in our family. My friend moved to SoCal in 1998 and another friend of mine moved to Tucson,AZ. They both said that mentally their depression has gotten so much better that they don't need meds anymore. However, when they come back here to visit they do get rather sad. Moving is NOT a magical soulution, it also takes my own willingness to make the best of my situation, I've tried that here and things are usually pretty even keel til' the bad weather hits, then it's a huge nosedive.
There comes a point in some peoples lives when they know what needs to be done, as with you and your job situation. I wish you the best. I can relate because in a sense your work is a staple for what you represent. It is your livelyhood. It is not only your income, but it's also where you spend 1/3 of your life so it must be at least somewhat tolerable if not enjoyable.
My friends tell me the thing they enjoy most about the west coast is that when they plan something it is rarely ever side-tracked due to bad weather. I've been visiting them for 10 years and I really don't know why it took me so long to make the decision to leave Indiana. I guess I thought I couldn't do it for whatever reason. The downside is realistically we probably never be able to afford to buy a home. But we prefer renting as we like the freedom it provides so really it's not a big issue as it is with others. Also we are empty nesters (and always will be) so the nightlife is very appealing. I'll keep you posted on the + and - of our move. I'm sure it will be rough, but we are really looking forward to the change. Good luck!
I lived in NW Indiana in the past. I think most of what is applicable to northern Indiana does not apply quite as much to the rest of the state in terms of persistant winter cloudiness that is influenced by the Great Lakes. The winters are definitely much more cloudy than places like Minneapolis or Des Moines. Those cities are much further removed from the influences of the Great Lakes.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I lived in NW Indiana in the past. I think most of what is applicable to northern Indiana does not apply quite as much to the rest of the state in terms of persistant winter cloudiness that is influenced by the Great Lakes. The winters are definitely much more cloudy than places like Minneapolis or Des Moines. Those cities are much further removed from the influences of the Great Lakes.
I know, my friend that now lives in Tucson AZ grew up in Evansville and he said they had some gloomy days too but nothing like us up here.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 89,735 times
I'll tell you why....maybe because Indiana is one of THE MOST close minded/small minded states. People that live here are very ignorant. I've lived on the east coast before moving here and I can saw this was the worst move.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Not all are closed or small minded and definitely not all are ignorant. Sorry you've encountered them here, but trust me, those folks are everywhere. And, Indiana is notoriously one of the most conservative states in the nation, didn't you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana