Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 17,379 times

Advertisements

Hello...I am planning to buy a home in Columbus...first time buyer....I saw some good homes built by Beazer in Shadow Creek farms.....near to Southside elementary school....can anyone comment about the quality of construction and neighborhood and also resale value in this area? my plan is to stay for about 5-6 years before I move out of Columbus...is there any other location in Columbus I can look for new home construction? budget is ~200k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
Shadow Creek is about the only production home 1 builder neighborhood that I know of ... wait ... I think Terrace Woods was too, but that builder went out of business. Production homes aren't a big thing here.

Wondering why you are secluding yourself to that area only. Lots of homes in your pricerange for 200K ...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 PM

well someone told me about Beazer homes community and thought will do some research before buying house from them......I wanted to live in a good elementary school district...kind of short listed southside and parkside...in parkside area i couldn't find any new construction house within $200k...i am looking for 2 story or one with basement at least 2000 sq.ft...couldn't find one within 200k which is built new or not too old...
how much it will cost to construct a 2000 sq.ft home ( 2 story or one with basement) in parkside school district?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

the only place in parkside's district that I know of that has new construction is broadmoor north. Not sure of the prices since it's not a production builder neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

thanks for your immediate response domergurl...i will definitely check broadmoor north....seems like a much better neighborhood compared to shadow creek farms....

Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM

91 posts, read 316,566 times
Broadmoor North is more expensive than Broadmoor. You can get a nice home in Broadmoor for the price range you are looking in. Also, Princeton Park is another newer home area. The school for this is Schmidt but that is a wonderful school as well. It really bothers me that people are only saying that Southside and Parkside are the only good schools in Columbus. We now have the CSA (Columbus Signature Academy) schools which are doing quite well.
As far as Shadow Creek, the resale value is not as good. They are building new homes for less than what the original people bought their homes for. As long as they have many acres to build on this will probably continue.
Good Luck!
JulieL

Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Julie, I agree! Unfortunately, the chatter around town for new relos is Parkside/Southside, Parkside/Southside ... I kinda wish we would have looked at houses in Richards and Rock Creek too. But I have to say that overall, I do really love my neighborhood and it's walkability to our school. Can't do that at Southside.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Julie, I agree! Unfortunately, the chatter around town for new relos is Parkside/Southside, Parkside/Southside ... I kinda wish we would have looked at houses in Richards and Rock Creek too. But I have to say that overall, I do really love my neighborhood and it's walkability to our school. Can't do that at Southside.
Hear hear!

Also, as a side note, I hope parents who choose Southside based on realtor/internet recommendations take time to drive out and look at the school.

I take part in several on-line discussions about architecture were we have been debating, recently, how appropriate that structure is as an elementary school.

It may be a fine example of "Brutalist Architecture", but most who attended as students or taught there as adults seem to agree that the structure is unwelcoming and intimidating from the outside (people often refer to it as a "prison").

Yeah, I know probably not as important to most parents as say, test scores , but for me, as a visual artist and and architecture-fan I'd take a pass on sending my kid there. I think visual cues are super-dooper important. If that makes me shallow, then so be it.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM

We thought it looked like a jail.

The bummer is that there is a pool in the basement. I sure wish they could revive it!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We thought it looked like a jail.
Columbus: The town that has a school that looks like a jail, and a jail that looks like a school!

Quote:
The bummer is that there is a pool in the basement. I sure wish they could revive it!
Southside was originally designed as a Middle School, hence the pool. I think the admin. decided it was more of a liability than an asset at the elem. level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana