Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 32,182 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of accepting a job offer in Rockford, IL, but with the crime rate so high we are thinking twice about the move. We have a 6 year old daughter who attends private school now, and we plan on her attending private school once we move. Are their any nice towns nearby Rockford? Are the taxes higher in IL than WI? We are also giving thought to moving to Janesville, WI instead of the Rockford area. Is that a better area to live and rasie a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,202 times
I would not live in Rockford. (I am not a big Janesville fan either) Bellvidere & Rockton/Roscoe are nice but have major overcrowding issues.

Winnebago, Byron, Oregon, and Stillman Valley might be good places to look.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM

196 posts, read 969,607 times
Roscoe and Rockton are nice, but talk to the neighbors about their builders. Some are just awful. Terrible flooding and cheap homes.
Great private schools though...I even give Rockton top notch ranking for their schools up to 8th grade.
As far as Wisconsin...taxes... you will get killed. Stay in illinois.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 24,327 times
Exclamation Rockford???

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine07 View Post
My husband is thinking of accepting a job offer in Rockford, IL, but with the crime rate so high we are thinking twice about the move. We have a 6 year old daughter who attends private school now, and we plan on her attending private school once we move. Are their any nice towns nearby Rockford? Are the taxes higher in IL than WI? We are also giving thought to moving to Janesville, WI instead of the Rockford area. Is that a better area to live and rasie a family?
Rockford is very bad place to live.. Discrimination Lawsuits have destoyed the public school system..Private schools are therefore much more costly than other towns..Janesville is ok, much cheaper housing,schools have to be better

Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM

40 posts, read 259,323 times
If it is a good job offer, go for it, just live somewhere nearby, but not actually in Rockford. Rockton is nice, so is Janesville, but income taxes are significantly higher in Wisconsin. Illinois has a flat income tax of 3%, whereas Wisconsin charges just about everyone over 6%. And the tax code in Wisconsin is complicated, as are the tax forms. User fees are similar between the two states, but sales taxes are a little lower in Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine07 View Post

Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Also, propety taxes are on the whole much higher in Wisconsin. But in Wisconsin your tax dollars actually buy you something in the way of higher quality schools (at least in smaller towns) and a better maintained infrastructure and park system.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 AM

4 posts, read 63,739 times
You will be just fine.
Yes, the schools are in very troubled times! That doesn't mean you have to act the part of a sheep sent to slaughter just because you live in Rockford.
You can stick with private schooling, there is financial aid out there if you look, not that I am assuming you need it, but in reference to a previous post about cost.
Or choose to home school for a bit, and do some great networking and meet all types of families on a new venture in a new city. Yes, its possible.
Or tough out the public schools for now and just be prepared to be very hands-on with your child's education. Before you buy in Rockford, KNOW where your 6 yr old will be sent to school. Don't ask the realtor. No offense to realtors. Go to www.rps205.com and start digging. Changes in how students are assigned are being made, supposedly... I suggest being aware. (duh)
Or go buy in the Harlem shool district, which is just north of Rockford. (ie across the street, literally, and easier on tax issues when I owned thereabouts)
There are enough nice neighborhoods in town, and smaller communities around the area, that with some sincere, assertive looking and asking around, you will find a nice little spot to call home.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM

77 posts, read 193,899 times
Thamk you very much for pointing out that not all areas of Rockford are bad. I am moving back to Rockford after living in Chicago for 11 years. I am bringing my husband and our 2 kids. There are good schools and there are bad schools everywhere in this whole area. I am one of the rare ones that went looking on the west side because that is where I feel comfortable at . There are little pockets that are great. My husband is black and I am white and Chicago is worse as far as racism.Rockford is mucxh better where race is concerned.I don't know your race but if that is an issue Rockford in my opinion is much better than Chicago.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 63,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasham76 View Post
Thamk you very much for pointing out that not all areas of Rockford are bad. I am moving back to Rockford after living in Chicago for 11 years. I am bringing my husband and our 2 kids. There are good schools and there are bad schools everywhere in this whole area. I am one of the rare ones that went looking on the west side because that is where I feel comfortable at . There are little pockets that are great. My husband is black and I am white and Chicago is worse as far as racism.Rockford is mucxh better where race is concerned.I don't know your race but if that is an issue Rockford in my opinion is much better than Chicago.
You are so right about "pockets!" My parents found a beautiful home in an historic neighborhood that you would almost never assume is even there, its so tucked away. They are so happy to be in a great house, quiet area, yet smack in the middle of everything they like to do.
And they stole that sucker, too! lol
GL to you & your family in your move!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 31,646 times
Cool Is Rockford a decent place to raise a family?

Hello All,
I am considering buying a new home in the Kelly Meadows subdivision through Conty Builders or Maplecrest which is located off of Montaque Rd and bypass 20. I was told that the kids in that area go to Winnebago schools and not Rockford. Some people say it is good others say it a mistake. The new homes are a great price. Can someone please give advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois