Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasham76 View Post
Freeport is soo racist, I lived there and there was probably 5 black kids in the whole school.
I lived in Freeport for many years, both of my children graduated from FHS.

There are many black children in Freeport, certainly more than 5. Plus inter-racial couples. My son was best man for one couple's wedding.

When did you live in Freeport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 03:51 PM

77 posts, read 193,848 times
Default When I lived there

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I lived in Freeport for many years, both of my children graduated from FHS.

There are many black children in Freeport, certainly more than 5. Plus inter-racial couples. My son was best man for one couple's wedding.

When did you live in Freeport?

I lived there in 1993-1995
When I was there inter racial couples were not accepted at all.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:55 PM

77 posts, read 193,848 times
Default Which side did you live on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bergren View Post
I used to live in Rockford during the school lawsuit years, and had to move because my property taxes went up so fast I couldn't afford to stay there. Rockford is a great place to live if you can afford it. It has a great symphony and a fabulous park system. If you can afford to send your kid to a public school, I wouldn't hesitate. Maybe it was just me, but all the time I lived there, I spoke to my next door neighbor a half dozen times, and I was there 6 years! People seem to be so busy, they don't have the time to relax a bit and be friendly. Not their fault I guess, but it just seemed odd that my wife and I didn't really have any friends in Rockford. After we moved to a much smaller town, it was incredible the number of friends we've made, and we can actually meet downtown and have lunch rather often. Also be careful as Rockford has an obscene number of taxing bodies, and I noticed that everyone of them had their hand out. Also the city services don't perform as well as they could, considering you're the customer. If possible, you may want to consider Pecatonica, Winnebago, Roscoe (although real estate is expensive), or Rockton (same). It just seems that Rockford is one of those towns that will expand and develop at any cost. I'm glad I left.
I find that the west side, even though economically disadvantaged, has the frienlier neighbors. I lived on the west side and in Loves Park and I prefer the west side because of the friendliness.In Loves Park I found that the neighbors were much more critical of you and would judge you.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM

196 posts, read 969,393 times
Default define "good"

You need to clarify what it is you are looking for.
The Winnebago school is great...if you like sports. Great small town, but lots of drugs.
Scared me.
I had several staff who grew up there... some awesome homes.
Drugs, Crime is everywhere.... getting to that area, you pass some not so nice places getting there.
Being off the Bypass is good.
What is it that you need or want to know?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 AM

16 posts, read 92,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasham76 View Post
I find that the west side, even though economically disadvantaged, has the frienlier neighbors. I lived on the west side and in Loves Park and I prefer the west side because of the friendliness.In Loves Park I found that the neighbors were much more critical of you and would judge you.

i totally agree with you... there is a lot of the suburban 1-up mentality on the east side of the river, our neighborhood was always very close knit and everyone from up to 3 blocks away knew each other. most of my friends on the east side didn't even know their neighbors.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM

196 posts, read 969,393 times
Thats a fairly new development. I think you are missing a few letters in the builders name. I would write that correctly or you will get some bad information.
Prices are great here....other than that., it is what you make of it. Some of the schools are ok. I put my kid in private after 8th grade. too much kid drinking and sex at to early of an age.
like I said....check out the builders name and do a google search, better business., some of these areas allow the worst builders here cos no one else will build or compete with them. So sad....

Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 PM

18 posts, read 86,698 times
I was born & raised in Rockford, and although attended Winnebago schools K-12, I am a big suppporter of the Rockford area. I do believe that our public school system has its share of problems, but there are many private schools to choose from should you decide to keep your daughter in private schools.
I am a counselor & administrator in the Rockford school district, and I believe in the wonderful teachers we have here teaching our children everyday!
It is a great place to raise a family. Yes, we have crime, but what city doesn't? I agree that Rockton, Roscoe, and Belvidere are great options but are becoming overcrowed for sure! Unfortunatley we are leaving Rockford to move to Wisconsin, but only because my husband got a new job there.
Good Luck to you!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM

18 posts, read 86,698 times
Oh, one more thing. Houses are cheap! Compared to almost any other place you will look. My brother who lives in Seattle, Washington teases me that my house was "free" it was so cheap! Great neighborhood too!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
TRY: Oregon, Byron, Stillman Valley, Davis Junction, Monroe Center, Winnebago, Belvidere, Rockton, Roscoe, Lena, Elizabeth, and depending on how far you want to travel, Dubuque, Iowa, on US 20 across the river in Iowa is very cool, 22nd in the nation for job growth, ranked an all American city, and ranked best place for young people in the united states, Good Morning America was recently here... VERY VERY LITTLE CRIME.

You could definitely find something to do that makes good money in Dubuque.

If you do choose Dubuque, choose to move to a new subdivision, west of town, where the housing market has exploded.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM

54 posts, read 306,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
TRY: Oregon, Byron, Stillman Valley, Davis Junction, Monroe Center, Winnebago, Belvidere, Rockton, Roscoe, Lena, Elizabeth, and depending on how far you want to travel, Dubuque, Iowa, on US 20 across the river in Iowa is very cool, 22nd in the nation for job growth, ranked an all American city, and ranked best place for young people in the united states, Good Morning America was recently here... VERY VERY LITTLE CRIME.

You could definitely find something to do that makes good money in Dubuque.

If you do choose Dubuque, choose to move to a new subdivision, west of town, where the housing market has exploded.
Yes, living outside of the Rockford Metro helps you avoid Loves Park/Westside/City problems. Byron has a Nuclear Power Plant, dunno how you feel about it, but it has an impeccable safety record. I've NEVER heard of Crime in Dubuque. Plus they've built a big, brand new John Deere Tractor Works up there. the Job Growth isn't done yet! Yes, there's been some major construction Projects on the west side of Dubuque, including the big Menards store, the NW Arterial (excellent project), and the many many new subdivisions/Homes. I'd recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois