Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 37,183 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to Champaign Il and have Kids,
do you know about good schools and neighborhoods in Champaign
or do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM

131 posts, read 745,483 times
If you are able to live outside Champaign, I would suggest Saint Joseph. It has the best school system in the county, and a small town feel.

For Champaign itself, if you stay generally south of Springfield Avenue and west of State Street, you should be fine. Anywhere west of Duncan Road is fine. The areas I've outlined range from lower middle income housing and affordable apartments to very high value subdivisions. The exception to this is the north Prospect Avenue development zone north of Interstate 74. The new apartments in that area are very nice. There are abundant shopping options on north Prospect Avenue, and another economic zone along Mattis Avenue and Springfield Avenue where the two avenues intersect. Champaign's downtown is reviving, and though some areas still need work, overall the downtown district is a nice one.

The best schools in Champaign are in the south and west. You should research the area to find which school fits the bill for your children.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 37,183 times
Thumbs up Thanks!!

Thank you alot, I'm sure this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch625 View Post
If you are able to live outside Champaign, I would suggest Saint Joseph. It has the best school system in the county, and a small town feel.

For Champaign itself, if you stay generally south of Springfield Avenue and west of State Street, you should be fine. Anywhere west of Duncan Road is fine. The areas I've outlined range from lower middle income housing and affordable apartments to very high value subdivisions. The exception to this is the north Prospect Avenue development zone north of Interstate 74. The new apartments in that area are very nice. There are abundant shopping options on north Prospect Avenue, and another economic zone along Mattis Avenue and Springfield Avenue where the two avenues intersect. Champaign's downtown is reviving, and though some areas still need work, overall the downtown district is a nice one.

The best schools in Champaign are in the south and west. You should research the area to find which school fits the bill for your children.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,904,196 times
Southwest Champaign is nice. Most of the city is a dump. Urbana is overrated.
I live near the university, but I would like to live downtown; too bad the university and downtown are so separated.

I have a professor that lives pretty close to the southwest corner of Springfield and Prospect Avenues.
That is a nice enough area, with outdoor parks and so on.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 PM

There are those who believe that Champaign is moving up. I haven't been here that long yet; ask me a few years from now. I don't really see any major evidence of this.

The south and western edges of Champaign are suitable for those in the family way, I suppose. You could do worse.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 AM

I would avoid living in Urbana. The rich areas are really rich and the poor areas are really poor. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between. Also the property taxes are high, and the services provided don't match the taxes you pay. The far eastern edge of Urbana is seeing some development now, but Urbana is mostly a retail and shopping wasteland. It's sad to see how bad off Lincoln Square mall is.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
There are those who believe that Champaign is moving up. I haven't been here that long yet; ask me a few years from now. I don't really see any major evidence of this.

The south and western edges of Champaign are suitable for those in the family way, I suppose. You could do worse.
Champaign is definitely better off than it used to be. The downtown area used to be desolate. There has been effort to reclaim neighborhoods in the marginal zone between Springfield Avenue and Washington Street, which has shown some success. The zone between Springfield Avenue and Church Street has seen the most improvements. Prospect Avenue north of I-74 has seen an astounding transformation in the last ten years to the better.

Avoid the Bradley Avenue corridor at all costs. Between Bradley Avenue and I-74 is blighted. There are a few exceptions to that, but it's a good general rule. Lock your doors when driving through that part of the city.

To those who don't know Champaign, all the streets I've mentioned in this post (except Prospect Avenue) are east-west streets.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch625 View Post
I would avoid living in Urbana. The rich areas are really rich and the poor areas are really poor. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between. Also the property taxes are high, and the services provided don't match the taxes you pay. The far eastern edge of Urbana is seeing some development now, but Urbana is mostly a retail and shopping wasteland. It's sad to see how bad off Lincoln Square mall is.
Ditto on this. In Urbana, one minute I think I am in an enclave, next minute, I think I hit the wrong side of town.

Champaign: The shopping areas feel safe, but many of the neighborhoods - I would not want to live there. Southwest Champaign is a slice of suburbia and fairly bland, although there are a few small strip mall developments.

The cities were not good at clearing the roads and sidewalks after the blizzard, and of course Lincoln Square is blight.
However, the street lighting in the cities is very good, and the postal office is punctual here.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 35,140 times
Housing costs are high for what you get. Property taxes are too high for the services received. Unit 4 schools are a mess good luck getting into a good school, if you are black then that will help. I would agree that St. Joseph is a good alternitive with 15 min commute. Lots of parks and activities for the kids. Downtown is nice in the summer except for parking. Savoy is also a good alternitive with some new business growth and close to university but is a good 20 min drive to shopping districts on*north end of town.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
I also like Monticello as an alternative. Nice downtown square, some really sharp houses just off the square (particularly to the East). Don't know a thing about the schools though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois