Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

According to City-Data, Monticello grew 4% from 2000-2006. That is not quite "exponential". It is not much bigger than it was when we left in 1980. Cute little town, but that 22 miles from Champaign (according to CD), can be misleading. If you have to work in Champaign, it can be hairy in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,422 times
very informative & relevant for a prospective new comers in the twin city area!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Default You might look here

Unless you must live in Champaign, take a look at Rantoul before you make a final decision. .

Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If you're willing to live that far from Chambana, there are far better options than Rantoul.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^^ Good heavens, yes!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Unless you must live in Champaign, take a look at Rantoul before you make a final decision. .
Not a chance in hell I'd live in Rantoul (or "Rantucky", as it's commonly referred to). If you don't want to live in Champaign (which I think is a very good place to begin with), check out Mahomet or Monticello. Both of those are nice as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
The farthest I would live from campus would be Savoy. Nice enough area, smells like cow poop though. Professors can enjoy Mahomet, Monticello, etc if they hired me to stay here (please don't), I'd look into the places going up in downtown Champaign.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM

64 posts, read 376,959 times
In Champaign and Urbana, schools and cost of living are good but violent crime is high. I honestly don't know why, given its profile as a college town; however, this site says that 27% of Champaignians live in poverty, which is very high for a small city. Are there ghetto areas in Champaign or something?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I wonder how many of those listed "in poverty" are simply students with little to no income to report and therefore end up in the "poverty" statistics. There is a "ghetto" portion of Champaign, but it's not huge or particularly dangerous. As for the high violent crime rate, that's fairly easy to explain too: It's not despite being a large university town, it's because of being a large university town; i.e., students getting drunk and getting into brawls. Rape is also higher than average, again owing to the college. But for people minding their own business and staying away from alcohol-fueled after-bar parties on campus, it's as safe a city as any its size.

Last edited by Drover; 02-29-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I wonder how many of those listed "in poverty" are simply students with little to no income to report and therefore end up in the "poverty" statistics. There is a "ghetto" portion of Champaign, but it's not huge or particularly dangerous. As for the high violent crime rate, that's fairly easy to explain too: It's not despite being a large university town, it's because of being a large university town; i.e., students getting drunk and getting into brawls. Rape is also higher than average, again owing to the college. But for people minding their own business and staying away from alcohol-fueled after-bar parties on campus, it's as safe a city as any its size.
Good analysis, I also think these are the reasons.

Much was made of the ghetto-ish area in the north central part of town in much earlier posts, but it is important to understand that this is the Champaign-Urbana ghetto! This area (and east Urbana) has low income and property values, a high concentration of minorities, and evident lack of pride of ownership and upkeep of many of the houses there. I wouldn't walk there at night, or certain more isolated streets during the day. No doubt crime rates are higher and there are some street drugs there, but it is nothing like the ghettos of Chicago, not in the same galaxy! Not even as bad as some parts of Decatur, IL can be. A gangbanger from Englewood (Chicago) visiting the depressed areas of C-U would probably find its ghetto "cute".

Also, responding to much earlier posts, it's important to judge C-U according to its peers: isolated metro areas (i.e. no satellite cities) of pop. 150K - 300K. Compared to the alternatives, C-U gets big pluses for culture, public transportation, parks, and in my opinion a pretty nice downtown district and pretty residential areas W and SW of downtown. If you are working or associated with the University, it gets another big plus for you personally, as U. Illinois is world-class. Probably about even with crime. Minuses might be moderate cost-of-living (higher than many metros of 250K people; many of which are DUMPS!), and the school system can be spotty. It's worth noting that its arrow seems to pointing up: more knowledge jobs arriving as the University Research Park expands, and some beautiful, large developments in and around campustown and downtown Champaign which are currently going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois