Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Illinois: education, teachers, children, college, sports.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 AM

36 posts, read 71,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Don't get defensive. My fingers and eyes are not always coordingated either. I'm trying to point out the schools don't teach penmanship, English, proper speech or good study habits.

The son of a former neighbor loved Cross-Country. His team ran three miles every morning before school and thee miles after school. He was a good runner and a poor student. He slept in class, and every summer he spent in summer school in remedial something or other. His twin sister, on the other hand, didn't care for sports, She loves science and math and is an A student. She wants to go to college. Her siblings don't. They are all satisfied with McDonald's type jobs because their parents didn't aspire to anything greater, and didn't encourage them to perpare for the future. .
Whose fault is that? Did anyone force him into sports? If he couldn't do that and go to school, he needs to be smart enough to quit. That's not anybody's fault but his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I just wish unite would spell politics correctly! no matter how much she wants all kids to make the team. not going to happen. and, for the record, my older son was also a straight A honor student, 3 sport athlete and attends one of the top universities in the country and plays football!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I just wish unite would spell politics correctly! no matter how much she wants all kids to make the team. not going to happen. and, for the record, my older son was also a straight A honor student, 3 sport athlete and attends one of the top universities in the country and plays football!
I graduated high school with a 2.8 GPA. I blame the athletes for sucking the resources away from me. Otherwise my lack of motivation and failure to do homework would have for sure gotten me a 4.0

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
How many people are on a normal school football team? I'm going to guess 52, since I think that's how many are on a pro football roster.
The high school teams are larger, especially at the bigger schools. There is a freshman team, a JV and a varsity, sometimes also a sophomore team. I once counted the number of people on my high school team; it was about 100 students.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The high school teams are larger, especially at the bigger schools. There is a freshman team, a JV and a varsity, sometimes also a sophomore team. I once counted the number of people on my high school team; it was about 100 students.
Thanks for the info. That's more than I would have expected.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Wink No denial here

Quote:
Hey resident, thanks for correcting my spelling. You don't have to talk around me though, you can talk to me. I am right here. No matter what YOU want, it is already being done in some schools. You will just have to get used to it. THis world is making some serious changes. Actually, your vote does not count here, because you are not a part of the majority. You had a child in sports, that is awesome, and I commend him for that. I enjoyed every game I went to. Win or Lose, didn't matter. I only projected my sons doings, so that you would know that I myself have been a hands on sports mom of 10 years. I didn't put it out there to compare anyone. I like watching them all as I said.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Question My town

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
And where is the money going to come from to fund these massive community sports leagues? Something tells me you aren't going to be pushing this for your town when you find out how much it's going to cost you in taxes.
Is that the answer to everything? Taxes?? No. Absolutely not. The community will take care of their own through sponsors and fund raisers, concession,car washes, etc... You would be amazed at what kind of resources you have once you start looking for them and using them inside your community. It is called hometown monies. THere are alot of people who would pay to watch the sports in the communities. However, I do not believe that every tax payer should be strapped to this, like they are in the schools. The tax monies are for everything but the sports. The government even alots a certain amount to go towards sports. Excuse me, but that is every tax payers monies and it should not be going towards sports. Ya know maybe if we offered free small vacations to kids for an incentive to do good academics, than maybe we would get better results in grades. Sports will be in the community. The cost of sports would be entirely the parents and communities responsibility and problem.They would not be taken away from the academics any more. That is just one of my goals.

My town as you call it, might have to do it whether they like it or not. I am not worried about what town is whose. THat is half the battle. Why wouldn't I want my town to do it if I am reaching for all 50 states?!? Maybe you should try and open your mind a little more to this. It is a positive for EVERY AMERICAN.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Actually, your vote does not count here, because you are not a part of the majority.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Question Me???

Quote:
WEll, I guess I could ask the same of you,by the way. You don't start sentences with a small letter. Whats up with that?? If you are going to correct me than I am going to expect more of you. Thanks for pointing out my error though, I learn something new everyday.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post

Is that the answer to everything? Taxes?? No. Absolutely not. The community will take care of their own through sponsors and fund raisers, concession,car washes, etc... You would be amazed at what kind of resources you have once you start looking for them and using them inside your community. It is called hometown monies. THere are alot of people who would pay to watch the sports in the communities.
I think you are seriously underestimating how much these sports cost to operate. Most rec center (park district in Illinios) sports are subsidized by taxes now. None of them are paying their own way. My kids were involved with rec sports and I am well aware of the costs to the taxpayers. You can't build a gymnastics gym by having a car wash. Ditto a football field, a basketball gym, an ice hockey rink, etc. No one is going to pay more than a few bucks to watch most of these contests. The schools don't make a profit from tickets, why would a rec program? The YMCA, which is non-profit, even charges more than the parks programs, b/c they are not getting tax money to build or operate their facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois