Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Illinois: education, teachers, children, college, sports.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM

36 posts, read 71,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Hello sgresident. I hear what you are saying, but you have to try harder to understand what I am trying to tell everyone. Why wouldn't we as Americans make sure that EVERY CHILD gets to P-L-A-Y, so that we can really see where the talent lies. Don't you see, the kids are halted at try outs. You can not say that only 15 out 1500 are the best. That is brainwashing polotics. It is time to UNITE. Our children would still have every oppurtunity to be scouted for college or the Olympics. So I guess I don't understand your reasoning about this. In China, every child plays and then they pick out the elites and start working on them for the Olympics. Shawn Johnson did not go through the school for her gymnastics either. So I still do not see your point.

As far as the monies it takes to keep these school sports going is just ludicrist when Americas' schools are failing. We need good academic teachers in the classrooms, not coach/teachers. Force the sports into the communities and the communities actually would collect revenue. When that happens then our schools will have enough money to make sure our children get educated academically. The taxpayers need to wake up and smell the coffee. It is a lot of their own faults for listening to the brainwashing about sports being so important for kids in school. That is hooey. The majority (non-sports kids) go to school every day, all day long and do graduate. THe myth that sports keeps kids in school is exactly that, a myth. If that were true, than why wouldn't we offer it to all of our children?!? I am a little confused on this issue. It is not about winning or losing in the k-12 public schools. It is said to be a good release for (some),(very few) kids. That is also a myth. Do you know the amount of pressure that is put on these very young people?? These kids are playing their hearts out, for what?, a coaches paycheck?!? That is wrong. It is suppose to be fun and a life experience to be able to be a part of a team. What is so bad about that? It is easy enough to seperate the greens from the pros, in the communities.

And speaking of the communities, this could detour alot of the criminalization within our communities, due to the fact of alot of movement due to the community sports. It makes it much harder for a criminal to go unseen. It would bring together families, who probably should know one another a little bit. What better place for parents to be a big part of the fun in the kids lives. Even the kids who do not want to play would probably end up at the community games as well, just because that is where the action is. It is still a structured, disciplined, well watched, all around good place for kids to be. THis would be a great oppurtunity for the elderly and busy parent to get to watch games alot more. I can just smell the money that would come in for the communities.At the same time it would give space to the schools to teach academics, arts, music,health,survival,etc.....

We have grade school kids who are having to walk 2 miles on a very busy highway in order to get to school. THe buses quit this year. Excuse me, but the taxpayers need to wake up and figure out what is really important in schools. And it sure ain't sports. Academic teachers get black balled alot over repremanding the chosen few(sports kids).

And absolutely, I am not downing any child who is in sports today.I love watching kids play sports. I do wish they would abolish football though. THat is good for noone. I am a stands coach, if ya know what I mean. I do alot of cheering.

So see, it is not a bad thing to let every child play while they are young and learning. What does everyone think practices are all about? They are to teach and help the child to improve. Well how can they do that if they cannot afford the community sports and get told that they are not worthy or good enough to be on their classmates teams at school. This is one sad day in America, as far as I am concerned. This is an abomination, directed toward innocent children for the adults pleasure. I know my opinion on this is very strong, but these are the facts. THere are schools that do have this in place in their communities and no sports in the schools. It works great for everyone involved. I know it would be a great tiime to be had by all.

I hope I cleared a few things up for you. I just wish everyone would think about it long and hard, the way I have. Maybe this one will convince you. There is a middle school age child who was in a wreck at the age of 5. He has been in a wheelchair ever since. So, this boy wants to play basketball for his school. If that is all it would take to put a smile on the kids face, than why not. Really, why not??? What could it hurt. This kid realizes there are wheelchair programs out there, but they are not his school or classmates. That man that was on tv and wrote a book and I don't know what all, but he had one childhood dream that he wanted to experience and never got to. He just wanted to play baseball for his school. He finally got to, just before he died. So you tell me what is important in life. This is very important to the balance of life. I hope everyone gives it good thought. Have a nice day.

p.s. this boys friends will not go out for sports because they will not let him play. HE is one heck of a good baller, even in a wheelchair. His friends and others that have watched him play, will tell you the same.
You aren't doing anybody any favors by pushing for all kids to be accepted into everything, regardless of whether or not they belong. It's a terrible lesson. But you aren't going to let common sense get in the way of a good fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 AM

498 posts, read 1,521,017 times
Cool Oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
You aren't doing anybody any favors by pushing for all kids to be accepted into everything, regardless of whether or not they belong. It's a terrible lesson. But you aren't going to let common sense get in the way of a good fight.
It is obvious that common sense should prevail here. You bring absolutely nothing but put downs to the table. That will get us nowhere. America has been doing the sports thing ever since the 1800's. It is time for a change.

It is not a terrible lesson. That is only your opinion, that will not count when you ask all the kids if they want to play for their school, or their community. It is not a bad thing, wake up and smell the coffee.It is good for everyone involved, except you, I guess. Don't get so hung up on being equal. It is just a little rearranging of furniture, so to speak. Don't take it so hard, that every child can play. Can you imagine the talent that we are missing>>

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
My child got caught in that sports trap. HE did good and excelled at everything he did, but it did not produce good studying habits at all. Hmm, me thinks you have alot of studying for college. Hmm, must be why so many young college kids can't or won't get their college grades in order to be able to stay in college. As I said, it is one sad day in America.
Maybe your child had bad studying habits because your child didn't want to try hard enough. Could that be? No, it must be sports fault. Who made him play sports? If he can't handle both, then he needs to quit sports. What on earth does college kids dropping out have to do with sports? How do you connect the two?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
It is obvious that common sense should prevail here. You bring absolutely nothing but put downs to the table. That will get us nowhere. America has been doing the sports thing ever since the 1800's. It is time for a change.

It is not a terrible lesson. That is only your opinion, that will not count when you ask all the kids if they want to play for their school, or their community. It is not a bad thing, wake up and smell the coffee.It is good for everyone involved, except you, I guess. Don't get so hung up on being equal. It is just a little rearranging of furniture, so to speak. Don't take it so hard, that every child can play. Can you imagine the talent that we are missing>>
Common sense rarely prevails, unfortunately.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
Don't get defensive. My fingers and eyes are not always coordingated either. I'm trying to point out the schools don't teach penmanship, English, proper speech or good study habits.

The son of a former neighbor loved Cross-Country. His team ran three miles every morning before school and thee miles after school. He was a good runner and a poor student. He slept in class, and every summer he spent in summer school in remedial something or other. His twin sister, on the other hand, didn't care for sports, She loves science and math and is an A student. She wants to go to college. Her siblings don't. They are all satisfied with McDonald's type jobs because their parents didn't aspire to anything greater, and didn't encourage them to perpare for the future. .

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
No, I am not with you. Show me proof that the majority of schools lose money from sports programs. Maybe they do, I really don't know, but I'd like to see some facts. Yes, we were created equal. What's that got to do with school sports? How does letting everyone who wants to be on a team onto the team teach them anything? I see nothing wrong with selecting the best athletes for the team. And as I said, aren't there park district operated programs for them to join?

I don't know the situation in Illinois, but here in Colorado, who can be on a team varies from school to school and sport to sport within a school. For example, football doesn't do any cuts at my local high school. Not all kids get to play varsity, but anyone can be on the team. In my district, gymnastics ditto. Girls' volleyball and boys' tennis on the other hand have tryouts and cuts. It has to do with the resources the schools allocate to different sports (football coaches get paid more), and the resourcefulness of the coaches. For example, the gymnastics coach gets volunteers to assist so she can still have a decent coach/athlete ration w/o cuts.

Where do you get the idea sports programs are preventing schools from hiring good academic teachers?
Sadly, I have heard of situations where teachers were hired on their coaching ability. Almost all the high school teachers coach something, or sponsor a club.

It seems like the premise of this post is that sports should be eliminated from schools. I disagree. The only sports I have problems with are the ones that use the high school system as a farm system for the colleges, which is mainly football and basketball in the larger athletic classifications. My kids did high school sports and it was an opportunity for them to learn leadership and get some recognition for something other than academics, which was very cutthroat at their school. I have examined the school budget for my district and it is true that sports "lose" money, e.g. are subsidized. But so is everything else in school. Physics is not supposed to make money for the school, nor American History or any other subject. Neither is the National Honor Society or the newspaper supposed to bring in money for the school. Even the music and drama departments are not supposed to make money from their concerts and plays.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,654,348 times
all of the extras at school..sports, clubs, groups are meant to enhance the educational experience. There is more to life than just hitting the books! colleges are looking for those students that actually did something...any thing..and got involved, whether it was at school, church, community groups. They want a well-rounded individual. sometimes that individual is an athlete, a leader, a member, or just a participant. School districts do charge extra fees for participation in sports and clubs and band etc. However, these costs never cover the REAL cost of a program. A school district is not a profit center. That is why most high schools have pto's, booster clubs etc. to help offset the cost of the "enhancement programs" that are being offered. that is also why parents are given a choice about having their kids participate. As far as sports go, all kids can try out, but there is only room for so many on a team. It is a fact of life. Your kid applies to college, some make it, some get turned down. as my 13 year old likes to say "Deal With It!"

Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 AM

498 posts, read 1,521,017 times
Question Deal With It????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
all of the extras at school..sports, clubs, groups are meant to enhance the educational experience. There is more to life than just hitting the books! colleges are looking for those students that actually did something...any thing..and got involved, whether it was at school, church, community groups. They want a well-rounded individual. sometimes that individual is an athlete, a leader, a member, or just a participant. School districts do charge extra fees for participation in sports and clubs and band etc. However, these costs never cover the REAL cost of a program. A school district is not a profit center. That is why most high schools have pto's, booster clubs etc. to help offset the cost of the "enhancement programs" that are being offered. that is also why parents are given a choice about having their kids participate. As far as sports go, all kids can try out, but there is only room for so many on a team. It is a fact of life. Your kid applies to college, some make it, some get turned down. as my 13 year old likes to say "Deal With It!"

Right there is half of what is wrong in America right now. Using a 13 year olds mentality to be told what to do. With a whole lot of sas. I just think we can do better if we all pull together. Like they say, two heads are better than one.

I thought you might be interested in a book by Dr. Rudy Crew. He is the superintendant to Miami Dade,Florida high school. He wrote this book about taking the sports to the communities. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I also saw him in an interview about his book,on tv. Very interesting. He used some of the same exact words and ideas that I had just told my fiancae the week before. I was feeling real right about my thoughts at that point. All I knew is that our academics are failing miserably,here in America, which your son goes to school at and that was all the both of you together could come up with, which proves the dumming down of America is obvious. That is where my whole thought process started. Ok, so, sports are supposed to be so important and well structured and disciplined and is what keeps kids in school. Ok, well than that is pretty easy. Move the sports to the communities, bring in revenue to the communities and stop spending and wasting the academic monies for 15 students as opposed to 1500 students, let EVERY CHILD P-L-A-Y, let EVERY CHILD LEARN ACADEMICS, let them stand up and be counted, both in their classrooms and their communities,to feel important,well structured,disciplined, and keep them from dropping out. Well roundedness comes from home, always.
Physical Education is badly needed here in America, now. Well guess where all the equipment for that class went. All out, full blown, sports. But mind you, only for 15 kids out of 1500 kids. Ok and sports in the communities would curve criminalization,be good quality family time, commradary, busy parents and the elderly would be able to frequent the games more often, so see the list just keeps on going. IT would lessen the baby sitting that the cops have to do while the kids run the streets.

The ones who say I am talking about abolishing sports altogether couldn't be any wronger if they tried. As a matter of fact, it is quite the opposite. I am trying to create more of everything for every child. I don't understand why some people think that it is skin off their backs. It is not even close. It is a positive all the way around for everyone. And seeins how we live with everyone than maybe ya all should think it all the way through.

As far as my child goes, an honor roll student, has already graduated and was excepted to the college of his choice within 2weeks of applying. So see, it really has nothing to do with mine. He is audio-visual if you know what that means, he is also a very strong willed person. He is not perfect though. He is just him. He is a humble, football player if that tells ya anything.HE is an all-state player if he so chooses. He is totally awesome and very charming.Very popular and well respected. HE loves baseball and basketball. He started in all of them. As a freshman he took the Varsity to STate. HE has won state two years in a row in track as well. He has trophies for math. So see, I don't know what you want from me. I definately know what I want for these kids. First of all, an education. I do not send my child to school to be happy. I send my child to school to learn (academics,arts, music, health, survival,physical ed,etc...). Let's pull together and over power the polotics of it all and we might be a smarter, happier,healthier, United States of America. Wouldn't you agree??

Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 AM

How many people are on a normal school football team? I'm going to guess 52, since I think that's how many are on a pro football roster. Those 52 are of course selected from the many that try to make the team. Say you let everyone on. You get what? 100? 200? God only knows. How many of them are going to end up playing in the game? Knowing you, it will be made that everyone plays. What have you done here? You have helped out the kids that aren't so phyiscally gifted to make the team, but have punished the ones who are, because their sport and their game has been completely diluted. Perhaps they could have had a future playing for a college or professional team. But they won't get that chance, because young Johnny who can't throw more than 10 yards is getting playing time instead. But everyone is going to play pro and make millions right? What you are proposing is entirely unfair to the person who is more athletically gifted, and probably a very hard worker, as it takes work and committment to keep in shape and remain good enough to be on a team.
Not everyone is good enough to make a team. Too bad, that's life. They are probably better at something else than someone, they need to figure out what that is and use it to their advantage.
If your all american wonder child was forced to sit on the bench in whatever sport he was playing, so some kid that is absolutely terrible and only half interested in being there can play, do you think he'd be happy? Would you really be happy about that? It's affecting your child. What if he has scouts there to watch him and potentially offer him a scholarship, or to consider drafting him for the pros, and they don't get to see him, because your neighbor's kid is put in to make everyone happy?
Your child is a true inspiration to us all, may all our future children stand in awe of him and strive to fill the massive shoes he has left for them.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 AM

And where is the money going to come from to fund these massive community sports leagues? Something tells me you aren't going to be pushing this for your town when you find out how much it's going to cost you in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois