Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

I left Illinois for Madison WI. Ended up coming back.

Then I left for Pittsburgh. Ended up coming back.

About the only thing keeping me in Illinois is Chicago. I'd be thrilled if Chicago and Milwaukee could swap places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
As for housing in TX, it is notorious for being less expensive than in a lot of places, and not all of it is cheaply constructed. (Yes, I've been there.)

I'm not a native of Ill, but lived there for 7 yrs in my 20s. Left when DH graduated from grad school at UI, went to Colorado. Colorado was DH's idea, but we were both looking for a change. He is not a native, either.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
We moved from Illinois - military reasons
we had children and moved back to "be closer to family"

We want to move out again - price of living is high - taxes for the most part are high we have a farm so they are not to bad .... but for the most part .. I think some of the reasons we are wanting to move are life style... and we feel ppl in Illinois are not as friendly .. we live in a small town and its all about who you know and what your last name is!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
I moved to AZ two years ago, do I like it? Absolutely not!!! Do I miss IL and wish I could go back, Abosulety!!! Will I? Probably not. There are more job opportunities with better pay for RN's in AZ than IL. My teen loves it here, but not where we are living. I moved here to a small community, little did I know that it was "high income" people that lived here. We just don't seem to quite "fit in." I don't like that this is a right to work state as I have seen many good people get fired from their jobs from "personality conflicts" with the supervisors. My house is for sale in IL, not selling, and I am going to have to rent it out again, I don't know if I am relieved or what that it is not selling. I need to sell it financially, but want to keep it as it will be paid for in 10 years. Opportunity to move back? I don't think anywhere one moves they are truly happy. You just go day to day to get along.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 AM

You're confusing "at-will" employment to "right-to-work." Illinois is an "at-will" employment state and people can get fired for the most trivial reasons here just as sure as they can in Arizona.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,489 times
I had an attorney tell me here in AZ that if he doesn't like what his secretary has on and he feels it is hurting his business whether she does a good job or not, he can fire her for no reason. I don't like that.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Hate to break it to you, but that's the case in most states. The same flexibility that gives employers the right to fire someone at will also gives the employees to quit at will. It's a two-way street.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
One could change this thread a bit and ask if you moved TO IL and specifically Chicago, why?

We moved here from Milwaukee WI this year for a better job.
Jury is still out on whether it was a good move.

Traffic in Chicago area is ungodly. Glad I ride a bike to work. If I had to sit in this traffic I would go back to WI for minimum wage.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
September is the best month of the year for Illinois period. I do not recall ever having snow in September. Maybe once every few years it will snow at the very end of October but that is RARE. Also, I don't believe Illinois EVER had a windchill of -80 degrees (I think -40 would be the coldest).
I believe it got close to -50 in 1993 or 94. On a day off of school (because of cold) we discovered that our sisters' plastic dolls, while not normally brittle, will shatter when you combine extremely cold temperatures with small fireworks. Also, my eyelids froze shut.

As someone who's lived in a few parts of the country but is back in Illinois, I'd say if I left, it would have to be for another place that has all four seasons.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Moved to Denver almost a year ago from Chicago. Lived in the metro area/city for the majority of my life.

Not sure if I'll ever be back, but never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois