Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 PM

264 posts, read 2,143,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I think that'd be Bolingbrook you are talking about, and yeah I think that place is a bigger dump than Romeoville, haha. Look up a place called Swallow Cliff online for a great hiking location.
I used to go there a lot. I'm gonna head there this week, thanks for reminding me about it, I was drawing blanks thinking of where to go this week (I really like it out there on Cal Sag, its a nice strip of woods). I was about to go to Starved Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Take me with you. I head out to Romeoville like 2x a week to go to Bass Pro Shops. I too like nature and the outdoors.
Awwwwwww. So cute. Let us know when you get married in California.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 AM

27 posts, read 64,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
First off to whoever said Texas is expensive, they are wrong. Probably one of the lowest taxed stated in the nation, and very low cost of living. Housing where I am from (Corpus Christi) averaged around $60,000 for a good size ranch, and you could afford a bigger home with several acres of land for the low $100,000's.
Thank you for easing my mind, everywhere I read and people I have talked to said TX is cheap compare to IL, so I was a little confused by that comment. We looked at the houses in NW suburbs of Dallas and for $350K you can get beautiful, brick, 3500 sq feet, house, with pool, hardwood floors and all the upgrades you can imagine, try getting that in IL, especially Naperville

Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom View Post
Thank you for easing my mind, everywhere I read and people I have talked to said TX is cheap compare to IL, so I was a little confused by that comment. We looked at the houses in NW suburbs of Dallas and for $350K you can get beautiful, brick, 3500 sq feet, house, with pool, hardwood floors and all the upgrades you can imagine, try getting that in IL, especially Naperville

Simple answer: You can't. Which is actually one of my biggest pet peeves up here. And most people seem to not care!

Well, funny watching these people retire.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
^try lake in the hills?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I moved from Park Ridge (a NW burb), IL to the Greenville, South Carolina area in mid-December of last year. My two stepsons and their families had relocated from Florida to the Carolinas -- one near Raleigh, NC and one here in Greenville.

I had no intention of moving until I visited Greenville. I fell in love with the lush vegetation, the hills and winding roads, the beautiful downtown area with its small-town atmosphere, the parks, the convenience of shopping areas, not to mention the proximity to the mountains, Asheville, Charlotte, Charleston, the coast, Atlanta, etc.
Every sport imaginable is available within a short distance. The weather is a huge improvement, and even when it's hot, it doesn't seem quite as unbearable as when it's hot and humid in Chicago.

I came for the beauty, the climate, the grandchildren, the better quality of living (for me) and because it's a place that's perfect for me when I'm ready to retire. I won't be moving again until it's time for a nursing home or the grave.

Just visited Chicago for two weeks. The stressful feeling of sitting in traffic through several stoplights and construction zones and the new 10% sales tax helped to confirm that I had made the right decision. Miss my friends and the lakefront, but I can always visit!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom View Post
Try Elburn, Sycamore, etc.

The problem with TX homes is theyre a lot like TN homes, based on my personal observation... CHEAP. No basements, popcorn walls and ceilings, shoddy construction, etc. I couldnt believe you could get a 3BR, 2BA home in TN for 70K (with a 2 car garage and decent lot), until I got there and saw many of them first hand. ICK! My dad came down (used to be in construction) and was shocked at the quality of some of the homes we looked at. We rented a place, then came back to IL where the homes seemed like fortresses compared to what we saw in TN.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
If you think Illinois is expensive, just wait untilyou move to Texas.
Perspective is needed. OP lives in Havana, which is downstate, SW of Peoria. HIs cost of living WILL be cheaper than TX. Sure TX has no state tax, but property taxes are proportionally higher when you look at taxes compared to house value. Now for someone coming from Chicago area, TX is going to have lower overall COL, especially with the efficient state government and Cook County government giving us more services for less $.
Another poster mentioned the -80 windchills. Probably thinking of the 77-78 and 78-79 winters which were much more brutal than average. And yes, occasionally Cubs home-openers do get snowed out. I really undestand people moving because of climate and cost of living. But there are trade-offs. I hate NOV-MARCH. Too much grey, too much cold. April & May are annoying, once you think its going to stay warm, BAM another lake breeze makes it feel like winter again. Oh well, that's my still beloved Chicago.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM

264 posts, read 2,143,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Awwwwwww. So cute. Let us know when you get married in California.
I just wanted the free ride. Not a homosexual relationship. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
I just wanted the free ride. Not a homosexual relationship. Get your mind out of the gutter.
I bet you wanted the free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois