Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 11:44 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times

Advertisements

$11.82 for a $140.00 purchase shipped to Illinois on Amazon.
If I change the shipping address to Maine, it's $7; Oregon is no tax.
What are we paying for here, bloated pensions and Michael Madigan's trial expenses?.
It certainly isn't going to state roads, which ALL need resurfacing in my area.
This state is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 12:11 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
This state is a joke.
Not sure you are in a position to relocate. I don't suspect tax rates will decrease to a level that will feel appropriate to you.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Then move.

Did it take you the entire lunch hour to surmise this bit of wisdom?

Old 12-11-2023, 04:12 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Did it take you the entire lunch hour to surmise this bit of wisdom?
2 minutes later I thought it over and edited the comment to what is shown above.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
$11.82 for a $140.00 purchase shipped to Illinois on Amazon.
If I change the shipping address to Maine, it's $7; Oregon is no tax.
What are we paying for here, bloated pensions and Michael Madigan's trial expenses?.
It certainly isn't going to state roads, which ALL need resurfacing in my area.
This state is a joke.
Both Maine and Oregon have higher income taxes than Illinois. The state's sales tax is 6.25%. Localities and other taxing bodies add on other taxes. Statewide, the average combined rate is around 8.5%. That puts us in line with California and New York. However, it also means we pay less than Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Regarding sales taxes, the only thing that bothers me here is that things like groceries are taxed whereas in most other states they are not.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Both Maine and Oregon have higher income taxes than Illinois. The state's sales tax is 6.25%. Localities and other taxing bodies add on other taxes. Statewide, the average combined rate is around 8.5%. That puts us in line with California and New York. However, it also means we pay less than Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Regarding sales taxes, the only thing that bothers me here is that things like groceries are taxed whereas in most other states they are not.
We have the second highest property taxes in the nation.
Honestly, my complaint is; I just don't see the return.
And the governments have no foresight, example being; the lead water line replacement projects here.
These were federally funded, and they left the streets in a such a patchwork of patches; dozens of them have become roller coasters. Why resurface only 50% of the pavement?, now it has to be done over.
The state Rte. roads haven't been addressed in years, yet there's all this $$$ for social programs that seemingly haven't brought people out of poverty.
There's too much government we simply do not require.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:02 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
My old neighbors are saying they have had as much as 50% property tax increases this year. Can you imagine?

Old 12-12-2023, 02:06 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
We have the second highest property taxes in the nation.
Honestly, my complaint is; I just don't see the return.
And the governments have no foresight, example being; the lead water line replacement projects here.
These were federally funded, and they left the streets in a such a patchwork of patches; dozens of them have become roller coasters. Why resurface only 50% of the pavement?, now it has to be done over.
The state Rte. roads haven't been addressed in years, yet there's all this $$$ for social programs that seemingly haven't brought people out of poverty.
There's too much government we simply do not require.
You are rambling. Is this about paying sales taxes online in Illinois, or is this a political rant? I think we are probably generally on the same page politically, but I think you just want an opportunity to vent your political frustrations.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:49 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Come to KC -- the sales tax in the city core is now something like 13%. Applies to groceries as well as everything else under the sun. This includes the middle-class, Catholic neighborhoods around the Plaza and Brookside. It breaks out something like 5% city, 5% county, and 3% transit.

In the 1980s, we paid maybe 4% sales tax at the same shops. It's a 10% reduction in standard-of-living, not even accounting for inflation.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:03 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You are rambling. Is this about paying sales taxes online in Illinois, or is this a political rant? I think we are probably generally on the same page politically, but I think you just want an opportunity to vent your political frustrations.
Elections have consequences.

States have been trying to collect sales tax on mail order/on-line purchases for two or three decades. They now have the ability to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: