Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 10:45 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,076,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
OP, I suppose you mean can you be included in the environment if you're not part of UofI? The answer is yes. UofI is a large part of C-U ecosystem but you can live there without dealing with it. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, and a pretty good arts district from what I hear. You are also near Bloomington-Normal, Peoria, Springfield, and only a three hour drive from Chicago and St. Louis if you need a weekend get away. C-U and B-M tend to lean more blue, Springfield is red, and Peoria is in the middle. I used to have a friend who lived in Champaign, I went there often. Never felt unsafe.
3 hours to Chicago? More like 2, tops. Oh, and Indy is also less than 2 hours away. C-U is an awesome community. An island of vibrancy and culture amidst a larger region that is generally not that. Blo-No does have some of that, though, thanks to Illinois State, though perhaps not to the same scale as C-U. The prairie and farmland does have it's own unique beauty, though, if you can learn to appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 09:07 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
3 hours to Chicago? More like 2, tops. Oh, and Indy is also less than 2 hours away. C-U is an awesome community. An island of vibrancy and culture amidst a larger region that is generally not that. Blo-No does have some of that, though, thanks to Illinois State, though perhaps not to the same scale as C-U. The prairie and farmland does have it's own unique beauty, though, if you can learn to appreciate it.
2* hours to Chicago (if you don't hit traffic).

Old 05-10-2023, 07:31 AM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
2* hours to Chicago (if you don't hit traffic).
Or the ****ty ever-long construction on I-57.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post

I meant 3 hours to include traffic, and depending which end of the city you want to go too.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
OP did say they'd be carless, so maybe the 2 and a half hours or 3 hours by Amtrak is more useful which apparently is also about the time it takes for Greyhound. I do wonder why the City of New Orleans service is about a half hour longer than the Illini and Saluki given that it's the same tracks and the City of New Orleans makes two fewer stops between Champaign-Urbana and Chicago.

On a side note, it's too bad this is based in Utica, Illinois instead of Champaign. A sparking wine from the Champaign region of Illinois can be confusingly good and can maybe get around the restriction of not being able to call itself Champagne, or in this case, Champaign.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-01-2023 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 11:17 AM

55 posts, read 146,360 times
If you move to an apartment here, get ready to be surrounded by all these twentysomething knuckleheads who never got the memo that the whole dog ownership thing...is supposed to wait for home ownership. I live in a 100% rental subdivision in Savoy and it seems every one of these idiots has a dog. I see these wolf looking things on upper floor apartments barking away annoying the neighbors. Dog excrement everywhere, and then the awful smell of their breath when that thing is freaking out at me in the hallway of my own unit. I really wish the rental agencies had a "no dogs allowed" policy. Since when is it OK to have dogs in apartments? I remember in the 80s most places didn't even allow cats, now all the downwardly mobile twenty somethings have these unpleasant things, I even see huskies in apartments, one of the most active breeds that will tear and apartment to pieces if they don't get to run 10 miles a day. It really irks me encountering these awful things when I'm out and about in my neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:10 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
If you move to an apartment here, get ready to be surrounded by all these twentysomething knuckleheads who never got the memo that the whole dog ownership thing...is supposed to wait for home ownership. I live in a 100% rental subdivision in Savoy and it seems every one of these idiots has a dog. I see these wolf looking things on upper floor apartments barking away annoying the neighbors. Dog excrement everywhere, and then the awful smell of their breath when that thing is freaking out at me in the hallway of my own unit. I really wish the rental agencies had a "no dogs allowed" policy. Since when is it OK to have dogs in apartments? I remember in the 80s most places didn't even allow cats, now all the downwardly mobile twenty somethings have these unpleasant things, I even see huskies in apartments, one of the most active breeds that will tear and apartment to pieces if they don't get to run 10 miles a day. It really irks me encountering these awful things when I'm out and about in my neighborhood.
It doesn't matter where you live. I have owned some nice houses in nice neighborhoods. People have allowed their dogs to bark incessantly for hours on end everywhere I've lived. Animal control will not do anything about it. I'm currently surrounded by barking dogs all day, every day. I work from home and have to listen to them, nothing can be done about it. The only solution is to live in an isolated area with no neighbors.

I love dogs and owned two for 15 years until they both passed away. I would not allow them to bark for very long indoors and never for any period of time outdoors.

It's not the dogs fault, it's the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois