Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 PM

110 posts, read 170,698 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting the Champaign-Urbana area in mid-October for a job interview. While I currently live in NC, I'm originally from northern Michigan. Is there anything I should check out while I'm there? Anything about which I should be wary? I'm a single, middle-aged woman with geekly inclinations (comics, scifi, superhero movies), a fondness for cats and gardening, and lefty-liberal politics by NC standards (which means I'm probably pretty middle of the road for many other regions). I also miss cross-country skiing, so I'm hoping I'll find that near wherever I eventually move (although not in October). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 PM

128 posts, read 268,370 times
Hi! I am from Michigan and just moved to Champaign to go to grad school at U of I. Champaign-Urbana are two great towns. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but you'll find many opportunities here for your interests.

If you are going to move here permanently, I would recommend avoiding NW Champaign and the areas around campus in Champaign. I live in NW Champaign and while I don't mind it much, I wouldn't have chosen it if I had known before I moved here how grimy it is. Around campus in Champaign is where you will find most of the undergraduates.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks viktor77! If I end up being offered and taking the job for which I'm interviewing, I'll keep your suggestion to avoid NW Champaign in mind. Once I move it would be great to not want to move again right away.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,671,845 times
Without having ANY idea of possible budget for housing, it's hard to recommend anything. Do you have kids, will you be looking at school districts, etc?

A lot of people commute from Mahomet, just down the road - lots of nice homes, there. Champaign-Urbanaites think it's an AWFUL commute, but to those used to large urban commutes, it's a drop in the bucket. :-) Just a matter of perspective.

There are some lovely older homes west of Neil St. and south of Springfield -- but there are interspersed with lots of pockets of rental housing (read: students who don't care about the house or yard). It varies wildly from block to block -- you'll just have to wander around a bit. There are also some nice areas in Urbana, out around Meadowbrook Park. I'd suggest renting for a year, just to get your bearings and see where your friends and co-workers tend to congregate. Most of the night life tends to center around the students, as is typical of a college town. Shopping is pretty much a bust, except for one tired mall on the north end of town.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,028,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Most of the night life tends to center around the students, as is typical of a college town.
"Campus Town" (i.e Green Street from Neil to Wright) is the epicenter of undergrad student night life. Downtown Champaign tends to be a more mature crowd.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Without having ANY idea of possible budget for housing, it's hard to recommend anything. Do you have kids, will you be looking at school districts, etc?
Good point. I'd be looking for something under $800/month. I don't have kids, just an incredibly spoiled cat. In a perfect world I'd be able to walk or take the bus to work, walk or bike to nice restaurants, pubs, bookstores, parks and gardens, etc. I'd prefer a quiet area with a lot of greenery. At the moment I'm in a small (12 unit) apartment complex set in a wooded area where I can walk my cat on a leash, about half a mile from shopping and socialization opportunities. I'd love to find something similar.

Quote:
"Campus Town" (i.e Green Street from Neil to Wright) is the epicenter of undergrad student night life. Downtown Champaign tends to be a more mature crowd.
Good to know. I should probably avoid that, as I'm fond of quiet. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:08 PM

Sounds like you'd do well in the area around West Side Park in Champaign. The park itself is pretty large (13 acres), yet it's walking distance to downtown Champaign which has restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, boutique stores, etc. Furthermore, there's a transportation hub downtown where you can get local bus service to virtually anywhere in the CU area plus North/South Amtrak service (towards Chicago or Memphis) & and Grayhound/Trailways bus service East/West (towards Indianapolis or Peoria).

Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 AM

128 posts, read 268,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Indeed. Actual downtown Champaign has a nice bar scene with more upscale bars, but a night out on the town is thus not a cheap endeavor. Green Street is the cheaper alternative. Downtown Champaign has this interesting vibe. It feels like they are trying to mimic the Loop in Chicago. The apartments there are upscale, the restaurants are upscale. It all looks very out-of-place for a mid-sized town.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:47 AM

As for cross-country skiing, it would be hit and miss around here. Last year we had snow-pack all winter long. However, most winters we get intermittent spells of above-freezing temps between snow fall events which tends to melt off the accumulation.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you'd do well in the area around West Side Park in Champaign.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Quote:
As for cross-country skiing, it would be hit and miss around here.
That's a shame. Oh, well. It'll be a closer drive for me than it is currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois