Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 02:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Claimed "any American city". Cited 2 cities. I guess half constitutes "a fraction".

The point is, there are very few Republican cities with high crime.
Well I don't know if you're referring to me but you asked if any American city that is Republican has higher crime rates than Some cities in other countries including Toronto.

I provided you with two examples as per your request. If you compare crime rates of Republican cities in the U.S to say Toronto and Montreal, I think it would be easy to find that the Canadian cities would have lower rates on a proportional basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 02:14 PM

11,472 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I don't know if you're referring to me but you asked if any American city that is Republican has higher crime rates than Some cities in other countries including Toronto.

I provided you with two examples as per your request. If you compare crime rates of Republican cities in the U.S to say Toronto and Montreal, I think it would be easy to find that the Canadian cities would have lower rates on a proportional basis.
Yes, thank you for showing how few Republican cities have high crime ratest.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
The thing is Toronto has 2.8 million people and Montreal has 1.8 million. There are very few large Republican cities. Most of them I could see were under 500K people. So of course a city of 2.8 million v 200K is not exactly comparable unless you compare them proportionally instead of absolutely

I picked two cities that are among the largest American Republican cities and even with their lower populations, they still had higher homicide rates than Toronto and Montreal. If you drill down to smaller Republican cities, they may have less homicides in absolute terms, but they have a fraction of the population of T.O or Montreal. So proportionally, I think you'd find if you care to compare, that Toronto and Montreal would have lower crime rates than just two cities.

You can investigate to confirm. I think you'll be disappointed if you think that the crime rates of Canadian cities are less than American regardless of if they are democratic or republican.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:02 PM

37,143 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Because it has worked so well everywhere else.

This is sad news. Even woke cities are being pounded by residents who want a return to cash bail and holding more suspects over for trial rather than releasing them to commit more crimes. Illinois is going backwards.

Sad.

I think the devil is in the details bit is pretty spot on. A lot of countries do not have cash bail systems and do fine by it, but it's not how the US has done things so I think going with it is going to involve some growing pains. The question is if we're smart enough to figure out how to do it, because there are some benefits to it but it's also possible to totally bungle it. Do it poorly enough and then you have people wanting to bring back cash bail, but on top of this is the muddying of the waters since a lot of this removal of cash bail was also near to or right before the pandemic which means a lot of other social upheaval as well so the stats on crime might have at least the possibility of coinciding with upticks from things *not* related to cash bail reform. Kind of a **** time all around!

Old 11-04-2022, 05:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the devil is in the details bit is pretty spot on. A lot of countries do not have cash bail systems and do fine by it, but it's not how the US has done things so I think going with it is going to involve some growing pains. The question is if we're smart enough to figure out how to do it, because there are some benefits to it but it's also possible to totally bungle it. Do it poorly enough and then you have people wanting to bring back cash bail, but on top of this is the muddying of the waters since a lot of this removal of cash bail was also near to or right before the pandemic which means a lot of other social upheaval as well so the stats on crime might have at least the possibility of coinciding with upticks from things *not* related to cash bail reform. Kind of a **** time all around!
There has to be some rational criteria for keeping a person in jail other than "they can't afford bail". And in a state like California it doesn't require a very serious offense to end up with a very high bail, each county creates it's own bail schedule. Orange County has the highest bail in the state (and probably in the US). The bail amount for domestic violence in Orange County is $50,000. That means you either cough up the entire $50,000 or you pay a bail bondsman $5,000 which is not refundable, even if the charges are dropped the next day.

The bail bond industry in California is drowning in cash, so much that they can kill any bill or referendum that calls for bail reform, in fact they have already done that twice. And who can blame them, the non refundable fee is 10%, but the surety bond actually costs the bail bond agency 1.4% to 1.8% - the remainder of that 10% is pure profit.. such a sweet deal, huh?

Old 11-05-2022, 01:46 AM

197 posts, read 235,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There has to be some rational criteria for keeping a person in jail other than "they can't afford bail".
Why? Bail is both a guarantee that you will show up to court and not flee the state, as well as a means to keep offenders segregated from society so they can't continue to commit crime. I also don't know why you're discussing California in an Illinois forum, I don't care what California is doing.

This system has worked just fine for hundreds of years. It seems like a certain political party can never just leave things alone.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:56 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
No doubt there will be pushback on this within a year or two. One should take into account the criminal record of person. Lots of repeat offenders will be out on the street, committing new crimes.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
Why? Bail is both a guarantee that you will show up to court and not flee the state, as well as a means to keep offenders segregated from society so they can't continue to commit crime. I also don't know why you're discussing California in an Illinois forum, I don't care what California is doing.

This system has worked just fine for hundreds of years. It seems like a certain political party can never just leave things alone.
So people who can afford bail are perfectly safe and those who can't - they are the ones we need to keep in jail? If this forum is limited to people in Illinois I will be more than happy to not post in it, but I can't find a rule that states that...

Old 11-05-2022, 07:30 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Alot of people(myself included in the past) have no idea what cash bail or bail reform means. Bail reform is for minor offenses or for those who were arrested for not committing a crime. You don't have to rot in jail for possession of weed or some crap and risk getting evicted, losing your jobs or worse. You don't get out on bail reform if you commit crime/violence. Violent thugs can still get out on cash bail depending on the state; they need 10% to pay to their bail bondsmen.

The problem is the judges/DAs/bounty hunters who are not going after those who don't show up for their court dates or keep providing light sentences for violent crimes.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:20 PM

219 posts, read 135,440 times
Quote:
There's hardly any Republican cities to begin with, so it's going to be hard just to identify any. Colorado Springs which has a population of less than 500,000 had 44 homicides. Montreal which has a population of 1.78 million had 37. Sydney Australia had 84 murders but they are 10 times the size of Colorado Springs. Name any Republican city and I'll bet you that any liberal city outside the US is going to have a fraction of the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois