Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have 3 young kids and live in the Lincoln Square neighborhood in Chicago. We currently rent. I love this area, being able to walk my kids to school, the diversity and relative safety, however, we are looking to leave Chicago due to high taxes, general craziness of the local government and not wanting to deal with the school system when the kids get to high school, and just want to settle somewhere and stay put a long while.
We both work from home. My husband has family on the East Coast, and mine is mostly in the Midwest. Are there any neighborhoods or towns in the Midwest/East that are similar to the Lincoln Square area? We have a car, but he's the driver -I would prefer not to have to drive. Our kids are biracial, so we'd like an area that is diverse enough where they feel welcome, would love a 3+ bedroom house less than $350k (fine renting at first given these times), safety is key as are good schools. Some areas I've seen that I have considered are Shaker Heights, OH and Yellow Springs, OH (though the dreary weather is not ideal). We don't mind the cold, but endless gray is not going to work, nor is humidity. We also like to hike, so being near nature would be cool. Thank you for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 04:49 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Shaker Heights is an old money suburb of Cleveland that is most similar to the North Shore or Oak Park/River Forest. It bears no resemblance to Lincoln Square.

Lincoln Square reminds me of much of Brooklyn.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Shaker Heights is an old money suburb of Cleveland that is most similar to the North Shore or Oak Park/River Forest. It bears no resemblance to Lincoln Square.

Lincoln Square reminds me of much of Brooklyn.
I have heard Lakewood outside Cleveland might be more similar?

You might also consider Over the Rhine in Cincinnati.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:58 PM

212 posts, read 230,636 times
River West and the Upper East Side in Milwaukee feel somewhat similar to Lincoln Square

Old 04-03-2022, 07:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 3,252,251 times
DannFrankenstein, oh NO you did NOT say MY city!!!!

Brother, I need your analysis broken down on the River West and Upper East Side comparisons.

THEN, I'll need a minute or 2 to reflect

Aaaaaaaand GO!....

Old 04-04-2022, 08:30 PM

212 posts, read 230,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
DannFrankenstein, oh NO you did NOT say MY city!!!!

Brother, I need your analysis broken down on the River West and Upper East Side comparisons.

THEN, I'll need a minute or 2 to reflect

Aaaaaaaand GO!....
You know what, I take it back. River West and Upper East Side May have a house for the OP’s price range while being relatively safe and diverse. But it’s less dense and less busy than Lincoln Square and looks different with majority wood buildings, if I remember correctly. I agree with the above poster that LS is similar to Brooklyn

What was I thinking ?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:31 PM

DannFrankenstein, good to see you back. I'm born and raised Milwaukee. Today I told my coworker about this topic, because she lives in Riverwest. But she does not know of Lincoln Square, other than what I tell her. She is 100% German, and I told her she should check it out, as it is the last remnant of the most Germanic roots in Chicago, from what I've seen.... She has only gone to Chicago a few times, and prefers the area by Logan Arcade.

So our thoughts put together, Riverwest MAY be like Lincoln Square that there is some openness to the LGBT+ community as well as the BLM signs in some house windows. There are a lot of indy places, as opposed to major name stores. A lot of people you'll see strolling the streets, and some biking.

But geographically it is in between UWM land on the other side of the river to the east, and a Black and Puerto Rican side to its west. Riverwest is less safe and more gritty than Lincoln Square.

Now, when you said Lower East Side, were you thinking like a Brady Street, or a Farwell/Prospect area?

And how do you know my city?

And is it Frankenstein, or Fronkensteen? ( are you old enough to get that joke?).

Old 04-05-2022, 09:39 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I have heard Lakewood outside Cleveland might be more similar?

You might also consider Over the Rhine in Cincinnati.
Lakewood would likely be more comparable, but it is still also an older money suburb, just on the historically less monied west side of Cleveland. Lots of old mansions, etc. that just aren't present in Lincoln Square.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:01 AM

thinkinginil, good morning.

First of all, I am a bit jealous! I love the Lincoln Square area. One of my favorite neighborhoods. I do love the sense of community it has. I have always felt attached to it. On one day around Christmastime in 2021, I came down and decided to get a bunch of bags and I cleaned up all the garbage in the sidewalk and streets. I was sad to see that once again it looks rather not good again.

In any event, it is still a beautiful area. I enjoy the diversity, just as you said. And the proximity to a lot of independent establishments is very nice to see. Great parks. Very nice library. I enjoy the German fests, and other Lincoln Square Summer and Fall fests.

So when I think of a community that is similar, I think of 2 towns I frequent very often, BECAUSE they remind me so much of the vibe of community, diversity, and relative safety: Libertyville, and Highwood, both found north in Lake County.

Let me know what you think...

Old 04-05-2022, 10:50 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Whenever anyone has the right answer to this question, I'd love to hear it....

I live in LS now (on Leland, also a two-race family, we may be neighbors), and we aren't looking to leave soon, but I'm sure we eventually will. It will be nearly impossible to duplicate. You'd have to blend:

Mom and pop businesses rather than chains (probably my favorite part)
Being in an urban environment with public transportation access to "downtown"
Oldness to the buildings and architecture
Hints of old culture (in this case German, but it could be a different one and work fine)
Mix of families, empty nesters, young people, even some grandparents (so not dominated by any one age group)
A bit "beer-forward"
Good access to Asian restaurants (my favorite food)
And generally a place people enjoy

Anyone? Bueller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois