Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 11:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Kmanshouse, now I just DID give the answer!!

Or did you not like my answer?

I thought we were homies! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 11:58 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
Elmwood Village neighborhood in Buffalo comes close, but is likely out of your price range now.

North Park neighborhood is considered more family friendly, is less dense than Elmwood but has lots of walkability, and there are still some 3 br singles that may be in your price range.

Both neighborhoods have a range of housing types and styles (singles, doubles, multiple, apartments), with North Park having more singles. Elmwood is the older neighborhood (predominately 1870s-1910), while North Park predominately 1920-1950. Some older, some newer in each. A few new builds in part of North Park.

City high schools range from some of the worst to some of the very best in state and Northeast. Also plentiful private and free Charter schools. Buffalo also has the Say Yes program where city students earn tuition credits toward college - HS graduates can get free college. Weather should be comparable to Chicago, with slightly cooler and drier summers, slightly warmer and snowier winters.

In-laws from Texas moved to North Park and work from home. They love it. Purchased a 2-family home for 320k just over a year ago. They put 2 teen age kids in a local private school, looking to move 1 to a city magnet high school.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:09 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, now I just DID give the answer!!

Or did you not like my answer?

I thought we were homies! lol
You didn't seem to sure about Riverwest. Was that your answer?

I've never been there.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:24 PM

Kmanshouse, oh no no no.

I meant: Libertyville and Highwood, in terms of giving me those great Lincoln Square vibes.

What do you think?

Old 04-06-2022, 02:29 PM

I've never been to either place. What they'd both be missing though, is the urbanity and quick access to the rest of the city.

To me personally, the urbanity is a huge part of it. For this to be a suburban downtown area....that's all there is then, there isn't a plethora of other neighborhoods close by that offer a whole lot. We lived in Naperville for years and I love its downtown area, but it's where EVERYONE goes - it's that or just car-retail or houses.

I think the only way to really duplicate Lincoln Square is to be a similar neighborhood within a larger city. Like if NYC had a neighborhood like that, or even a smaller, old city like Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Philly. Someone mentioned Buffalo might have a similar spot. I could see that.

In LS, I could walk to Andersonville in 20 minutes, or stroll down Lincoln into North Center and all the stuff there. Or take the train 10 minutes and hit Southport. I can be in River North in 20-25 minutes without my car. The whole proximity factor to other, interesting places is really huge.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:20 PM

Kmanshouse, ok I need to be clearer, then.

The OP I believe was asking for an area LIKE Lincoln Square. Well, I named 2 cities that have a downtown that give me that vibe (Libertyville, the most, by far).

But you are correct, if the Lincoln Square equivalent must have a similar vibe AND be connected to/in an actual city, then my suggestions clearly would be out voted.

THEN, I guess you'd have to name a close Chicago neighborhood like North Center or Andersonville, and you'll have a closer comparison.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:50 AM

I think there are likely several suburban business districts that have a similar look and even potentially feel of LS. So in that part, you're probably right. But the absence of being within a big city (kind of this oasis) makes it feel a bit hollow, at least to me. But others may feel more like you do.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:43 AM

Kmanshouse, good morning.

I tell you what is beautiful in this world.. When you can "have the best of both worlds"; When you can "have your cake and eat it, too."

So let's celebrate that we DO have our beloved Lincoln Square AND our Libertyville, AND our wherevers we have that same feel.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:35 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
The east coast does this pretty well compared to most midwestern cities outside of Chicagoland.

Price aside, places like Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline outside of Boston have the dynamic you’re looking for. Would you consider moving that far East?

I imagine Royal Oak outside of Detroit is a more reasonable option, both geographically and financially. Take a hard look there.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:38 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The east coast does this pretty well compared to most midwestern cities outside of Chicagoland.

Price aside, places like Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline outside of Boston have the dynamic you’re looking for. Would you consider moving that far East?

I imagine Royal Oak outside of Detroit is a more reasonable option, both geographically and financially. Take a hard look there.
In the Midwest, I would add Birmingham (Detroit suburb near Royal Oak). Clayton and University City are St. Louis suburbs that would be even more urban and closer to Lincoln Square imo.

https://youtu.be/0NMJDB_rwwQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois