Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

These are real:

1) 8th grade science teacher - The world will end in 12 years and it's your parent's and grandparent's fault.
2) 10th grade health - Here's where Planned Parenthood is and how you can get an abortion and birth control without your parent's permission
3) 8th grade health - Senior boys prey on freshman girls
4) 3 months (entire semester) English and history - you are a racist, whites are racist, you are privileged because you were born white.

Can you give any examples? Apparently they just passed some statewide leftist curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Can you/would you be able to disclose these schools that made these statements?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:59 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Link?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:07 AM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Meanwhile, in NYC...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...eir-whiteness/

Old 02-18-2021, 11:15 AM

Good afternoon, I want to share this story, and I am willing to accept any kind of feedback and/or comments (positive/negative/indifferent):

My good friend's nephew is in grade school in Milwaukee Public School system.

His assignment was to listen to a Black Lives Matter song that was created by some students.

Afterwards, he was to list 2 things about the song that "resonated" with him...

My friend, and his brother (the nephew's father) felt that given the political nature that IS associated with this topic, it seemed presumptuous to "demand" that this child share something about it.

If a group had created a song on the "positive impact of Trump", for example, and then issued a homework assignment on 2 things that resonated with them, would THIS have met some resistance????

Old 02-18-2021, 11:26 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
These are real:

1) 8th grade science teacher - The world will end in 12 years and it's your parent's and grandparent's fault.
2) 10th grade health - Here's where Planned Parenthood is and how you can get an abortion and birth control without your parent's permission
4) 3 months (entire semester) English and history - you are a racist, whites are racist, you are privileged because you were born white.

Can you give any examples? Apparently they just passed some statewide leftist curriculum.
Documentation?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:33 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good afternoon, I want to share this story, and I am willing to accept any kind of feedback and/or comments (positive/negative/indifferent):

His assignment was to listen to a Black Lives Matter song that was created by some students.

My friend, and his brother (the nephew's father) felt that given the political nature that IS associated with this topic, it seemed presumptuous to "demand" that this child share something about it.

If a group had created a song on the "positive impact of Trump", for example, and then issued a homework assignment on 2 things that resonated with them, would THIS have met some resistance????
Jay,
My thoughts below.
1. I think grade school is a bit young for that sort of topic, and not that it should matter, but if almost the entire population of a school is Black, (not sure the makeup of your friend's kid's class) for instance, I can see this as a topic that may get discussed without a second thought because virtually the entire classroom may be considering how events directly impact their lives.

2. Even at the high school level, I think a more open ended debate about Black Lives Matter is reasonable than presuming someone agrees and presuming the song resonates with them. I took a 20th Century America class in high school that occurred during the Bush v. Gore election and we had daily open ended discussions about politics, but that was freshmen through seniors, not grade school, and there were no presumed "right' or "wrong" opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

3. Black Lives Matter isn't a political person and is more of a civil rights type of movement, so I consider it differently. Every kid gets a day off from school on MLK Jr's birthday and learn something about him. I don't consider that political the same as a president's policies.

4. Trump is a former President and therefore political. I don't think opinions of he/Obama/Bush policies should be discussed much at the grade school level, but I can see events being discussed.

5. I think few social studies textbooks/history classes will skip over discussing Trump's term in office going forward the same way the Ford/Carter/Reagan/Bush Sr years were basically breezed through when I was in grade school.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:39 AM

fusillirob1983 thank you for taking the time to share a well thought out response.

It was personal, intelligent, openminded, and respectful.

I appreciate your sharing.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:42 AM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

Hmm, 2 things eh?
Let them list BLM being a marxist movement created by 3 militant lesbians with the aim to topple "white patriachy", and that the the only black lives it seems to be concerned about is black perps shot by cops. Now THAT would be a fun day at school.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
These are real:

I graduated high school 26 years ago and at least 2-4 were in my curriculum. I think #4 was pretty constant throughout high school, actually. FWIW I did not go to public school in IL and am not from a state that people find to be “leftist” but any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois