Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 10:01 AM

82 posts, read 96,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Mikey was the one constant over the fifty years of Illinois' decline, with thirty years at the helm. There are $230 billion reasons why the man should not be praised by anyone. One can only hope he spends the rest of his days behind bars.
It's been well-documented that when Madigan took over as speaker in 1983, Illinois had the best credit rating in the country. ABC 7 was quick to point this out last night during their segment on his resigination.

The last time Illinois' credit rating increased? After he lost the speakership in 1995.

I'm not saying everything is going to be great now, since Madigan was one part of very large cancer infecting Illinois, but I genuinely believe it cannot get worse from here. I guess that's a small ray of light, hopefully...

Not sure if passed yet, but at least Welch proposed a bill limiting speakerships to 10 years. GOP already has this limit in their caucus. Still probably 5 years too long, but at least it's a start. I'll be happier if/when it passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
This has nothing to do with his health. Well maybe it is.......his health while IN JAIL!
He won't go to jail. I just heard Biden is trying to fire the US prosecutor who is going after Democrats because he is trying to protect Rahm Emanuel who apparently this guy has a lot of dirt on.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Belated for me to reply to this thread, but Madigan resigning his Illinois State House seat occurred like 10-20 years TOO LATE in my opinion! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it finally occurred though. Not sure if I have much of an opinion for now on Emmanuel Chris Welch taking over as the new Illinois State House Speaker seat, since he's someone I don't know much about myself. And as I remember, Welch had some questionable allegations said about him in the past.

Isn't Madigan still the leader of the Illinois State Democrat Party? Honestly, not sure if things will improve for the better that much. Also it's pathetic and ridiculous Madigan(and the 13th Ward Democrats) took 2 tries, to name a successor to Madigan's IL State House seat. To me I'd TOTALLY phase out local Democrat(or Republican) parties hand picking their successors(for State House or State Senate seats), and do open special elections where those parties don't wield any influence over their successor! It's corruption along with cappy weather (especially winter weather), which is sadly driving people away from this state. I wish things would change for the better in IL state government, but sometimes I worry they won't improve.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:54 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Why I always say all pension funds and especially Illinois ones are a ponzi scheme...hopefully Illinois pensioners sue Mike Madigan.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if...ue-11615306418

Old 03-11-2021, 07:20 AM

85 posts, read 72,032 times
Personally, I do not think Madigan going away is going to make much difference for the state. The corrupt nature of illinois politics (cronyism, graft, patronage, pay to play, etc.) is just too deeply entrenched. Why do you think a circa 1930's style political machine even still exists in 2021? Because it's elimination has become impossible at this point. You would pretty much have to round up all of the illinois politicians and have them summarily executed and start over again with a clean slate to realize impactful change.

Since that won't happen, you are left with the reality which is they will continue to steer the state further and further towards the edge of the fiscal cliff until it finally falls off. It may be 5 years from now? Maybe 10? Maybe 20? Who knows, but that it will happen at some point is a mathematical certainty. Illinois state government is not sustainable.

What happens when it finally does reach this point will actually be quite interesting from a purely academic standpoint. We have no true historical examples of what happens when a state defaults. We can sort of draw some comparisons with Arkansas during the Great Depression who had a bond crisis or more recently with Puerto Rico, but neither is a true apples to apples scenario.What will happen in the meantime is that your average Joe Blow citizen will face increasingly harsh tax levies to keep the state afloat longer. Many people have already decided that enough is enough and left, which accounts for the last 7 years of outmigration patterns, and this is a trend which is likely to accelerate.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteInWisco View Post
Personally, I do not think Madigan going away is going to make much difference for the state. The corrupt nature of illinois politics (cronyism, graft, patronage, pay to play, etc.) is just too deeply entrenched.
That and you can fire the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. It doesn't change the fact the ship is doomed.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:21 PM

Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan Charged with Racketeering. Charged with 22 counts.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ering/2773445/

Old 03-03-2022, 10:05 AM

85 posts, read 95,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan Charged with Racketeering. Charged with 22 counts.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ering/2773445/

30 years too late... The feds should be looking at current Illinois pols. I'm sure there is plenty of corruption there as Chicago and Illinois have been a breeding ground of corruption for decades.

Old 03-03-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonhE View Post
30 years too late... The feds should be looking at current Illinois pols. I'm sure there is plenty of corruption there as Chicago and Illinois have been a breeding ground of corruption for decades.
Better late than never. Hopefully the evidence is overwhelming, he's found guilty and the shame follows his family name everywhere. He truly destroyed Illinois.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:07 PM

886 posts, read 626,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Belated for me to reply to this thread, but Madigan resigning his Illinois State House seat occurred like 10-20 years TOO LATE in my opinion! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it finally occurred though. Not sure if I have much of an opinion for now on Emmanuel Chris Welch taking over as the new Illinois State House Speaker seat, since he's someone I don't know much about myself. And as I remember, Welch had some questionable allegations said about him in the past.

Isn't Madigan still the leader of the Illinois State Democrat Party? Honestly, not sure if things will improve for the better that much. Also it's pathetic and ridiculous Madigan(and the 13th Ward Democrats) took 2 tries, to name a successor to Madigan's IL State House seat. To me I'd TOTALLY phase out local Democrat(or Republican) parties hand picking their successors(for State House or State Senate seats), and do open special elections where those parties don't wield any influence over their successor! It's corruption along with cappy weather (especially winter weather), which is sadly driving people away from this state. I wish things would change for the better in IL state government, but sometimes I worry they won't improve.
Michael Madigan resigned as chairman of the Democratic Party of Illinois in Feb., 2021. This resignation came approximately 1 month after his resignation as an Illinois State Representative.

He was succeeded as party chairman by Robin Kelly, who is the U.S. Representative from Illinois' 2nd congressional district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois