Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:47 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times

Advertisements

Reno, NV has low taxes, tons of sun and all 4 seasons... mild winters with not a lot of snow or super cold temps, not too hot in the summer either, only one 100 degree day last year and its a dry heat so once the sun goes down its an amazing comfortable temperature. And if for some reason its way too hot there's tons of beautiful lakes nearby to cool off at, lake tahoe for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:01 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
Reno, NV has low taxes, tons of sun and all 4 seasons... mild winters with not a lot of snow or super cold temps, not too hot in the summer either, only one 100 degree day last year and its a dry heat so once the sun goes down its an amazing comfortable temperature. And if for some reason its way too hot there's tons of beautiful lakes nearby to cool off at, lake tahoe for one.
A lot of people from several states have the same idea and the rising home prices reflect that.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:14 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So... you have SAD and want to move to Washington state? However dark and dreary Illinois gets, double that and you’ve got Washington. Might not be as cold (though as I write this we are in the middle of a blizzard in Seattle), but the constant grey and darkness is a very real thing here. The eastern part of the state is a bit sunnier but it gets way colder and way more snow (Spokane I believe gets more snow than Chicago).
But the breathtaking beauty of Wa state is something Illinois will never beat. And if you like being outdoor, hiking, mountain climbing etc again, Washington is the place to be.
But that's about it.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:56 PM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
A lot of people from several states have the same idea and the rising home prices reflect that.

well I can say it is nice to have your largest investment appreciate in value unlike owning property in Illinois (I have plenty of experience with that, UGH!)

also in nevada your property taxes are capped at increasing only 3% annually if its your primary residence, they do go down even!

Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But the breathtaking beauty of Wa state is something Illinois will never beat. And if you like being outdoor, hiking, mountain climbing etc again, Washington is the place to be.
But that's about it.
Oh for sure... but WA has some of the highest rates of SAD in the country. It’s not just the rain, it’s also the sun angle because we are so far north. Winter days are very short here, shorter than Illinois. For most people it’s not actually the cold that causes SAD, it’s the lack of sunlight. The breathtaking beauty of the PNW isn’t really visible for most of the winter so if that’s an issue then it’s not going to be a good fit.

I have reverse SAD and excessive sunlight screws with me so WA is perfect for me.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 3,632 times
I moved from Illinois to the Seattle area in 2017. The winters do get cloudy and rainy. I thought it would bother me more than it has though. The rain keeps the area green and with the evergreens there are some beautiful days in the winter when the skies clear, which happens often enough to keep away any winter sadness. That’s been my experience at least. Surprisingly, I miss the snow in Illinois and more so the thunderstorms in the summer.

Unfortunately it’s become crowded out here and the cost of living is high. Property taxes on homes are climbing because house prices are getting ridiculous. I imagine that eastern Washington would be a lot more affordable.

We’re going to have to consider moving out in the next year or two. I’m not sure if we’ll be going back to Illinois.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:02 AM

85 posts, read 71,869 times
Yup, last year. Was living in Wauconda in Lake County and moved farther North to Wisconsin when the suits decided to make the bulk of our workforce permanently remote. We probably would have moved out of this part of the country entirely if not for the fact that most of my Wife's immediate family reside in and around Chicago. Lifestyle is pretty similar here for the most part, though the population density where I live now is much lower than Wauconda, and property taxes are half as much.

One thing I will say is that I am hardly the only person that got the idea to jump across the border in 2020. The housing market in Walworth and Kenosha county is about like a real estate version of Fight Club. It was already insane when we were looking to buy last year and it is far worse now. I feel sorry for people who are in the market and looking right now. Yes, interest rates are low, but so is inventory. And when you consider that migration patterns from Illinois into places like Wisconsin and Indiana were already accelerating even prior to Covid, it's a recipe for endless frustration for a potential buyer. Initially we were wanting to live in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, but getting a house there turned out to be next to impossible. We would camp out on Zillow all day waiting for new listings and people they would still end up sold or contigent before my Wife and I could even get a showing lined up. Really the only housing that lingers on the market is the crazy expensive stuff. Your average square footage SFH is a hot ticket commodity.

I really do hope that Illinois gets its act together at some point and makes the state a more attractive destination for people to put down some permanent roots as it has a lot going for it. I have my doubts this will ever happen but a boy can dream.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:07 AM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Oh for sure... but WA has some of the highest rates of SAD in the country. It’s not just the rain, it’s also the sun angle because we are so far north. Winter days are very short here, shorter than Illinois. For most people it’s not actually the cold that causes SAD, it’s the lack of sunlight. The breathtaking beauty of the PNW isn’t really visible for most of the winter so if that’s an issue then it’s not going to be a good fit.

I have reverse SAD and excessive sunlight screws with me so WA is perfect for me.
What is reverse SAD? You get overly happy in the gloomy weather?

Old 03-18-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteInWisco View Post
Yup, last year. Was living in Wauconda in Lake County and moved farther North to Wisconsin when the suits decided to make the bulk of our workforce permanently remote. We probably would have moved out of this part of the country entirely if not for the fact that most of my Wife's immediate family reside in and around Chicago. Lifestyle is pretty similar here for the most part, though the population density where I live now is much lower than Wauconda, and property taxes are half as much.

One thing I will say is that I am hardly the only person that got the idea to jump across the border in 2020. The housing market in Walworth and Kenosha county is about like a real estate version of Fight Club. It was already insane when we were looking to buy last year and it is far worse now. I feel sorry for people who are in the market and looking right now. Yes, interest rates are low, but so is inventory. And when you consider that migration patterns from Illinois into places like Wisconsin and Indiana were already accelerating even prior to Covid, it's a recipe for endless frustration for a potential buyer. Initially we were wanting to live in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, but getting a house there turned out to be next to impossible. We would camp out on Zillow all day waiting for new listings and people they would still end up sold or contigent before my Wife and I could even get a showing lined up. Really the only housing that lingers on the market is the crazy expensive stuff. Your average square footage SFH is a hot ticket commodity.

I really do hope that Illinois gets its act together at some point and makes the state a more attractive destination for people to put down some permanent roots as it has a lot going for it. I have my doubts this will ever happen but a boy can dream.
I don't see things changing in Illinois. I think they are doubling down on the reasons people are leaving with the no cash bail....

My neighbor bought a home in Twin Lakes I think.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:11 AM

I can tell you this. The Illinois flight is going to increase exponentially in June when school is out. I know people are waiting for the end of this school year to move. We are considering it and we are going to look in Florida over Spring break. Companies are not going back in the office so people who can leave are leaving. It's only just begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois