Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Generally their property taxes are lower as a percentage of property value, there's a statutory limit on how quickly property taxes can rise, their gasoline tax is lower, there isn't a toll booth in sight, and most importantly, their public sector pension fund is at least 98% funded so overall they have their fiscal house in order.
Not to mention their roads and parks are beautiful. The tax dollars actually go towards improving the lives of the taxpayers instead of pensions for cronies and free healthcare for illegals and other leftist projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 07:19 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
It's not just people from Illinois that are fed up. Look at other heavy populous and democratic states such as New York and California. Many wealthy residents from these states are leaving and moving to tax friendly states such as Florida. I live in Nevada and we have had a LOT of Californians moving here, and they have been bringing their ideologies here with them. When I first moved here in 1999 (from Illinois - because I saw what was becoming of Illinois back then) we were pretty much a 'red' state. Not so much anymore. It's been rumored that our governor Sisolak is wanting to implement a state income tax here, but that will need to be voted upon for approval into the state constitution. We can only hope that people voice their concerns where it counts ... at the polls this year!!!
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...r-of-joe-biden

Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Illinois loses population for 6th straight year — and it lost more residents than any state this decade

But don't worry, everything's fine because there are construction cranes downtown.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:12 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
New communities outside of Dallas or Houston are nice, sure, but many of areas of Texas are among the most underdeveloped in the entire county. There are literally hundreds of communities along the Mexican border where residents lack basic services like drinking water.

Think schools in Chicago are bad? Try rural Texas. These sunbelt states do a good job at marketing, but there are some very serious unaddressed issues outside of the shiny new areas filled with transplants.
I just drove through the Texas panhandle. Other than miles and miles of nothing, there was one decrepit building after another in these little rundown shantytowns. Oh, don't forget the Trump flags. How a bunch of rural, dirt poor Texans can worship a NYC real estate mogul is beyond my comprehension.

And honestly, the schools in the Chicago suburbs are about the best in the US. Everyone points to the inner city and equates that to Illinois. But there are tons of great public schools in the state.

Are the taxes a problem? Yes indeedy. I will be voting NO on the "Fair Tax". But if you removed the pension crisis in Illinois we'd be in much better shape. Oh, and after Madigan dies.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Illinois loses population for 6th straight year — and it lost more residents than any state this decade

But don't worry, everything's fine because there are construction cranes downtown.
I just hope its the "red" leaning individuals who are leaving.... Dems gotta live with their decisions... right?

Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM

77 posts, read 62,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I just drove through the Texas panhandle. Other than miles and miles of nothing, there was one decrepit building after another in these little rundown shantytowns. Oh, don't forget the Trump flags. How a bunch of rural, dirt poor Texans can worship a NYC real estate mogul is beyond my comprehension.

And honestly, the schools in the Chicago suburbs are about the best in the US. Everyone points to the inner city and equates that to Illinois. But there are tons of great public schools in the state.

Are the taxes a problem? Yes indeedy. I will be voting NO on the "Fair Tax". But if you removed the pension crisis in Illinois we'd be in much better shape. Oh, and after Madigan dies.
If you want to compare extremes, why not draw a parallel between East St. Louis? Or Harvey? What about nearly the entire south side of Chicago? What about the west side?

Why should people in rural Texas support the candidate that allies himself with anti-American racist terrorists? The candidate that supports groups that want to do away with this country, rioted for months, brought down statues of American heroes, started forest fires, who think Joseph Stalin was a man of esteem. There's never been an election where one side supports these sort of things, and there's an obvious choice this election cycle regardless of your income level, race, or skin color. I'll give you a hint: it's the one that denounces this movement and these people, so I'd say those people in the shanty towns of Texas are a lot smarter than you rolling your eyes at them passing through from your overtaxed dump in the northern burbs.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:17 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Yeah, it's a real puzzle working out why, after being mocked for "clinging to their God and their guns" or labeled either "deplorables" or "desperate" or told they don't sufficiently appreciate their "white privilege," they they would turn to the person who takes their frustration, throws it like a brick through the front window of the establishment that mocks and jeers at them, and gives the double-barrel middle fingers to everyone inside.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Most of my family still lives in IL.

I love the state but decades of corruption and abuse have really taken their toll and I won't be moving back. One of my cousins living in Missouri has said the same thing.

Having been desperate enough to legalize pot and gambling, I wonder if the state could legally do something a bit more drastic like selling some public assets. I'm specifically thinking of some of the lake front holdings that have to be worth a lot of money if you plopped condos down on it.

Lastly, the burb schools are doing well but the rest of the state has been suffering. I know in the rural area I grew up in some of the retired farmers have been stepping in to support the community as they have more money than a lot of people would ever guess as the survivors of the brutal farming years of the 80's and 90's.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:45 AM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
Now there is a lawsuit pending over the wording of the fair tax amendment and where its located on the ballot. You seriously can’t make this stuff up.
Only in Illinois.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:23 AM

85 posts, read 94,845 times
The "fair tax" amendment is certainly misleading and the lawsuit over its wording is perfectly valid and just. Hopefully the Judge sides with the plaintiff.

Again, hopefully the average voter is aware. Their taxes will certainly go up as well if the amendment were to pass. The real issue (and has been for over 25 years) is the state has a spending problem. Specifically a gold plated pension and health benefit problem. THE ONLY AMENDMENT that should be on the ballot this year is ONE THAT REMOVES THE PENSION PROTECTION CLAUSE that FORCES ILLINOIS RESIDENTS TO PAY AND PAY AND PAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois