Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:08 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
New communities outside of Dallas or Houston are nice, sure, but many of areas of Texas are among the most underdeveloped in the entire county. There are literally hundreds of communities along the Mexican border where residents lack basic services like drinking water.

Think schools in Chicago are bad? Try rural Texas. These sunbelt states do a good job at marketing, but there are some very serious unaddressed issues outside of the shiny new areas filled with transplants.
not comparing apples to apples; compare East St Louis, which is a more accurate comparison, to rural Texas...

'Nuff said"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Is taxes really the only reason people are so upset with illinois? Lets pretend taxes where cut in half would you then stay in illinois?
In my experience, it's overwhelmingly just taxes and politics. People destined for the sunbelt/warm weather were going to move there anyways and that isn't exclusive to Illinois; if people want warm weather who are from Massachusetts, New York, Michigan, or Minnesota, they're moving south.

In my experience, all things considered if politics/taxes/government weren't so bad, there wouldn't be an exodus. Everyone I know who has left or is planning on leaving universally cites taxes and property value concerns as reasons (the latter of which of course is a function of taxes. But tons of northern states/cities are growing in population, some of which are far colder than Chicago, so I don't so much buy the weather argument.

You also know that's the issue because Indiana is basically exactly what Illinois would be if it weren't so liberal/corrupt/high taxed; a growing state with growing cities.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:05 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
And don't forget the Illinois estate tax. Kicks in at a level far below the federal exempt amount, does not have exemption portability between spouses, and is not indexed for inflation. According to my financial advisor, the Illinois estate tax is often the biggest reason people leave Illinois for states without an estate or inheritance tax (which is most states). Moving and selling all Illinois immovable assets is the easy way around it so that is what people do. Illinois should repeal the estate tax. It brings in well under 1% of state general revenue but causes a large out-migration of wealth that is spent supporting other state's economies.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Taxes are the icing on the cake. They're a buzz kill but as many have already mentioned, it's more than that. We just moved out of Illinois (west chicago suburbs) last month and along with the outrageous taxes we were just tired of the politics, corruption and policies encroaching on personal freedoms (especially being a parent with young kids). If I was a single guy I guess I might not care so much, but regardless then you still have to deal with the roads, the tolls and just higher cost of living in general. I've said this for a while, but I don't see the point of staying in/near the chicago area unless you have family there, can't move due to your job or just love Chicago despite everything else going on.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Exactly I put up with all the crap from the "party of the working people" because decent jobs in my profession are very hard to come by. Otherwise I'd be out of here like a bat out of h#ll to a place where the govt serves the people instead of vice versa here in Illinois. I am looking forward to leaving when I retire but that is a long way away. It goes to show how a place with so much going for it can be loused up by leftists.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Quote:
Is taxes really the only reason people are so upset with illinois? Lets pretend taxes where cut in half would you then stay in illinois?
If you asked me a year ago, my answer would be yes, taxes are my only beef. Boy have things changed with Pritzker and Lightfoot. There's still some sanity out here in the West burbs, but proximity to Chicago or any large Dem city these days is huge negative for me given all the riots, looting, protests and general lawlessness. I still like where I live now sans the taxes, but sadly I will not consider heading into Chicago these days for any reason. I'm thinking the Blue Ridge mountains are in my future when the kids finish school.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:07 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Everyone I know practically is talking about their exit plan. Our sentence will be up in 1-6.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If you asked me a year ago, my answer would be yes, taxes are my only beef. Boy have things changed with Pritzker and Lightfoot. There's still some sanity out here in the West burbs, but proximity to Chicago or any large Dem city these days is huge negative for me given all the riots, looting, protests and general lawlessness. I still like where I live now sans the taxes, but sadly I will not consider heading into Chicago these days for any reason. I'm thinking the Blue Ridge mountains are in my future when the kids finish school.
https://www.dakotaroots.com/why-south-dakota

Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I may look at some Geographic Information Systems position openings there, however, I'm not a big fan of the Prairie climate with the strong winter winds. If it's going to be cold I like far less wind such as the Northwoods region.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 PM

61 posts, read 71,225 times
Quote:
I would not, but purely for subjective reasons. There are obviously those that think IL's natural landscape, or that which can be found within a reasonable driving distance, is beautiful and enjoy it, or at least accept it but place more value in other things that the state offers (.......food?).

I am not one of those people. I grew up around the ocean, and miss the salt-water and accompanying salt-water beaches. I would also take mountains, forests, elevation changes not measured in single-digit feet. This country is too big and too beautiful to live in a state that has as few areas and variation of natural beauty as IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois