Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 12:36 AM

54 posts, read 100,403 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I receive health insurance from Illinois Medicaid. Illinois Medicaid has a maximum monthly income. If a recipient exceeds that maximum income, the recipient is kicked off Illinois Medicaid.

I have been unemployed for a while due to COVID-19. When I work, I am relatively low income. So, if I were to receive regular unemployment insurance, I would receive only $51 per week. However, the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) would give me an additional $600 per week. With $651 per week in total unemployment compensation, I would have a monthly income that would exceed the Illinois Medicaid maximum monthly income.

My questions are the following: Would the additional $600 per week, be counted as income by the Illinois government agencies that provide Medicaid? Or would these Illinois government agencies disregard the additional $600 per week (because this money comes from the federal government due to special COVID-19 circumstances)?

I do not want to lose my Medicaid. If that happened, then I would be forced to buy an ObamaCare Marketplace insurance policy ($500 per month, $6000 annual deductible).

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:02 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Like state unemployment, the federal unemployment will be considered income. Contact Medicaid for confirmation and how it may affect you. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 AM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
A lot of requirements have been temporarily waived as a result of the pandemic. Depending on which program you had qualified for, the income requirement may have been temporarily changed. The HFS website should have COVID-19 waivers.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
A lot of requirements have been temporarily waived as a result of the pandemic. Depending on which program you had qualified for, the income requirement may have been temporarily changed. The HFS website should have COVID-19 waivers.
I believe that I am in the program called "ACA Adults".

Here are the websites that pertain to Illinois Medicaid:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/Pages/default.aspx

https://abe.illinois.gov/abe/access/

I can not find any waivers on those websites.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM

That first link you posted literally has a RED link for COVID-19 info with dozens of waivers and announcements.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
That first link you posted literally has a RED link for COVID-19 info with dozens of waivers and announcements.
I went to that red link, and I was taken to the following page:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/Pages/coronavirus.aspx

There were many links on that page, and I dug through those links and found the following link:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/Medical...rn200414b.aspx

I went to that link, and I found the following information:

The “CARES Act” also provides that certain individuals collecting unemployment benefits may be eligible to receive an additional $600 as “Pandemic Unemployment Compensation” per week for weeks of unemployment ending on or before July 31, 2020. The monthly equivalent of $2580 in Pandemic Unemployment Compensation will be disregarded when determining countable income for the purpose of Medicaid eligibility.

So, it appears that the additional $600 per week will NOT be counted as income.

This information should have been presented in a more prominent way, and should not have been hidden among a bunch of links.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, everyone.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_42 View Post
I do not want to lose my Medicaid. If that happened, then I would be forced to buy an ObamaCare Marketplace insurance policy ($500 per month, $6000 annual deductible).

Thanks for any information.

Hopefully you will not have to go this route, just filled out the federal app yesterday for kicks.
I want to see how much they come back for, and the federal website makes you list everything; including that $1,200 EI check.
Best wishes on this, as healthcare costs in an election year are now being unfortunately overshadowed by other issues.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_42 View Post
I went to that red link, and I was taken to the following page:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/Pages/coronavirus.aspx

There were many links on that page, and I dug through those links and found the following link:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/Medical...rn200414b.aspx

I went to that link, and I found the following information:

The “CARES Act” also provides that certain individuals collecting unemployment benefits may be eligible to receive an additional $600 as “Pandemic Unemployment Compensation” per week for weeks of unemployment ending on or before July 31, 2020. The monthly equivalent of $2580 in Pandemic Unemployment Compensation will be disregarded when determining countable income for the purpose of Medicaid eligibility.

So, it appears that the additional $600 per week will NOT be counted as income.

This information should have been presented in a more prominent way, and should not have been hidden among a bunch of links.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, everyone.
That's the state for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois