Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM

4,869 posts, read 6,935,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The cops claim they are undermanned, which is why they are unable to detain the looters. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Maybe if they directed their aggression at the looters rather than peaceful protesters and media they’d be able to keep the looting under control. The videos from this twitter thread are absolutely insane. This is the kind of **** that only serves to further enrage those already on edge. And, quite frankly, it pisses this white male off too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder...52661791674370
I think it's all about the utilization of the Chicago Police force. It's awful hard to defend the populace when they're only allowed to do it with one hand while the liberal mayor (who when she first took office I thought might not be too bad) ties their other hand behind their backs.

I'm sure when it comes to numbers, there are plenty of cops on the force to get this crap stopped.

Chicago's bad, NYC is worse. They've got 35,000 police in that city. A larger force than many countries have in their military. Meanwhile THEIR mayor, who in comparison makes Lightfoot look competent, is worrying about offending the protesters, which now translates into the rioters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 04:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,745,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The cops claim they are undermanned, which is why they are unable to detain the looters. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Maybe if they directed their aggression at the looters rather than peaceful protesters and media they’d be able to keep the looting under control. The videos from this twitter thread are absolutely insane. This is the kind of **** that only serves to further enrage those already on edge. And, quite frankly, it pisses this white male off too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder...52661791674370
Nothing ridiculous about it. Many big cities are having difficulties hiring and retaining police due to budget constraints. I would't work for chump change to be a rookie cop in Chicago.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:00 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times
I just read your Mayor denounces vigilantism. Well, perhaps in normal circumstances, yes. But you are going through THE most abnormal circumstance. Personally, I support and respect anyone that is helping take back your streets, your safety, and sense of security! God bless you all. My heart is truly with you.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I just read your Mayor denounces vigilantism. Well, perhaps in normal circumstances, yes. But you are going through THE most abnormal circumstance. Personally, I support and respect anyone that is helping take back your streets, your safety, and sense of security! God bless you all. My heart is truly with you.
Gee what a shock she once again wants nobody to do anything to stop these terrorists! She really is their best friend

Old 06-04-2020, 07:24 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,193,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I think it's all about the utilization of the Chicago Police force. It's awful hard to defend the populace when they're only allowed to do it with one hand while the liberal mayor (who when she first took office I thought might not be too bad) ties their other hand behind their backs.

I'm sure when it comes to numbers, there are plenty of cops on the force to get this crap stopped.

Chicago's bad, NYC is worse. They've got 35,000 police in that city. A larger force than many countries have in their military. Meanwhile THEIR mayor, who in comparison makes Lightfoot look competent, is worrying about offending the protesters, which now translates into the rioters.
The mayor said not to detain looters? I haven’t seen that. Please post a link.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Nothing ridiculous about it. Many big cities are having difficulties hiring and retaining police due to budget constraints. I would't work for chump change to be a rookie cop in Chicago.
Chicago is NOT short on cops.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wall...st-police/amp/

Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 AM

Hundreds of videos like this from over the past week. Police force should be directed at the rioters and looters, not peaceful protesters. Of course BPD initially tried to cover this incident up (said this guy “tripped and fell” like it was an accident) until they were exposed by video evidence showing the two officers forcefully shoving him. Certainly makes you wonder how often police statements are complete BS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ed-reports.amp

Old 06-05-2020, 02:00 PM

629 posts, read 544,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
How do you think he is handling this? Someone said it best in another forum I read. He is in a pi$$ing contest with Trump. He tried to bring down the state with covid and now he is using this to do it. We are finally thinking of ways to leave. 6 months ago, we were trying to buy a house nearby.

leaving is all you can do... and I would recommend it

Old 06-06-2020, 03:29 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
hey all I notice that in Chicago, there are more so called "peaceful protestors". New York is still having it bad. What has happened that it seems to be the worst is over.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:10 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,858,499 times
Interesting. Not sure which people on this thread actually live in Chicago. My perspective since moving to the city last year from the suburbs has changed a lot. Here's my take. Note, this is just "generally" and doesn't apply to every person.

The people in the city are generally more empathetic, more about total community, and more about causes. It's a night and day difference. People in the suburbs tend to enjoy their space, their silos, and are much more competitive with each other. There is less sharing in the suburbs, more independence. People I've met in the city, the community boards, spirit, etc. is much more about togetherness.

Sometimes, this togetherness mindset can be bothersome to people who happen to live here, doing just dandy, and want to be left alone. But this is a much lower % of the population than it is in the suburbs.

I say all that because this permeates into politics. I've observed JB and Lightfoot very closely. Yes, there is a solidarity against Trump sentiment with both of them, but frankly, that's true about a lot of the residents in Chicago proper as well. When it comes to the virus, the PEOPLE all around me are WAY more afraid of it, WAY more careful, WAY more hesitant to open their businesses. People in Naperville, for example, don't wear masks even in crowds, and want rapid opening so they can drink their wine at restaurants again. We had lunch at Quigley's - and as I put on my mask to go inside and use the bathroom, the staff was like, "you don't need to do that". I'm like, "um, I'll do it anyway".

Lightfoot and JB have been cautious about the virus, but look at Illinois' numbers. All our metrics have plummeted, to the point we are one of the safest states now. And things are opening up. Look at what's happening in Arizona. Just look at the arrows at the top of this link.

https://projects.propublica.org/reop...1_Raa6eiUB7PPk

I do not buy all this conspiracy bulls$!t. The behavior of our politicians surrounding the virus are generally following CHICAGO's mindset of the PEOPLE here. Now, you can argue that JB needs to think of the whole state, and he should, and frankly, I totally agree he should have opened the rural areas of Illinois several weeks earlier. But Chicago has been handled appropriately.

Think about this - if there was a conspiracy to keep businesses closed, wouldn't Lori have used the protests as an excuse to delay the Phase 3 rollout? She didn't though, she moved ahead with reopening as planned.

As for the looting/rioting. I honestly think Lightfoot and JB were under-prepared for that initial weekend. They got caught a little bit with their pants down. They should have lined up more protection. They brought in IL state guard on Day 2 or 3 I believe. This seemed to be pretty consistent with other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois