Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times

Advertisements

artemis and JonhE: good afternoon. Ahhh, yes, Lake Geneva has always been a destination place of you Illinois neighbors! It does have a really nice downtown, although it's been a couple of years since I personally went there.

Maybe he didn't wear a mask here because he was doing it "What happens in Lake Geneva stays in Lake Geneva" kind of way?!?

I wonder what all these protests are going to do to Covid numbers, which will set us BACK 3 steps, just as things were beginning to open.

Hopefully I can come down to Illinois soon. I have my business vendors in Gurnee and in Humboldt Park. Plus, I want to go to The Grove in Glenview when it opens to see all the reptiles, as well as spend Father's Day weekend with my kids in Chicago so we can get a pizza from Ignotz's in the Heart of Chicago/Italy neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 12:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,190,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Typical Illinois Democrat. He's been justifying criminality. He has been indulging the BLM "movement" by treating their claims about law enforcement as a matter of fact—whipping people into a frenzy. He's been ranting about President Trump at every opportunity for purposes that are entirely aimed at stirring his base.

There are approximately 1000 fatal police encounters in this country of 320 million annually. Approximately 300 of those fatal police encounters include African-American suspects. In 2018, 158 police officers were killed. Yet, we have people out here in Chicago protesting in the thousands, rioting, looting, and wreaking havoc on transportation. Let that sink in.
Not sure what this has to do with being a Democrat or Republican. Daley was one of the most prominent Democrats of his generation and took a far different approach to addressing the protests and riots in 1968. Didn’t work out so well. This is a lose-lose situation for all.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
comparing society 52 years ago, to what it is today, is pretty disingenuous..

Old 06-03-2020, 05:40 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
artemis and JonhE: good afternoon. Ahhh, yes, Lake Geneva has always been a destination place of you Illinois neighbors! It does have a really nice downtown, although it's been a couple of years since I personally went there.

Maybe he didn't wear a mask here because he was doing it "What happens in Lake Geneva stays in Lake Geneva" kind of way?!?

I wonder what all these protests are going to do to Covid numbers, which will set us BACK 3 steps, just as things were beginning to open.

Hopefully I can come down to Illinois soon. I have my business vendors in Gurnee and in Humboldt Park. Plus, I want to go to The Grove in Glenview when it opens to see all the reptiles, as well as spend Father's Day weekend with my kids in Chicago so we can get a pizza from Ignotz's in the Heart of Chicago/Italy neighborhood!
I am no longer in Illinois. I made my escape 20 yrs ago.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
comparing society 52 years ago, to what it is today, is pretty disingenuous..
Yea, we’ve made so much progress

Old 06-03-2020, 10:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
I was in shock when he won the election, but then I remembered this is Illinois the worse voters of all which is why this state is the mess that it is. And why more people leave it every year more than any other state in America.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,847 times
Fail, unless you consider success to be pandering to your constituency. He's planning to run for the Presidency eventually, so he may as well start solidifying his liberal base whenever possible.

The idea of lumping in the looters and rioters with legitimate protests kills me - they are completely different acts. You can allow peaceful protests, but have enough force available such that as soon as a rock is thrown, the rock-thrower or window breaker is immediately arrested and moved to a holding pen somewhere off-site. The ONLY bright side to all this is that the south side Ford plant will be working overtime to build replacements for all of the Interceptor Explorers that were burned, while the cops were made to stand down and watch. I have to think that this was some kind of "punishment" for the police, to be castrated and made to watch while the community they are sworn to protect is forced to hide, flee, and be trashed. Maybe the cops have the attitude now that says "Screw it, let it burn".

Mayor Daley only made the order to "shoot to maim looters, shoot to kill arsonists" as a last resort, after there was not enough force available to handle the mob through arrest and remove. It's not a great solution, but far better, in my opinion, than letting the city burn. I was pretty young at the time, but my memory is that his order is what took all the steam out of the rioters.

This whole thing has made me want to move as far as possible from Chicago (or any large, liberal, diverse city) as possible. If this is the future, I don't want any part of it. And being retired, I don't have to be, thank God. My guess is this event makes many others act in the same manner, it's just not worth it anymore.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Fail, unless you consider success to be pandering to your constituency. He's planning to run for the Presidency eventually, so he may as well start solidifying his liberal base whenever possible.

The idea of lumping in the looters and rioters with legitimate protests kills me - they are completely different acts. You can allow peaceful protests, but have enough force available such that as soon as a rock is thrown, the rock-thrower or window breaker is immediately arrested and moved to a holding pen somewhere off-site. The ONLY bright side to all this is that the south side Ford plant will be working overtime to build replacements for all of the Interceptor Explorers that were burned, while the cops were made to stand down and watch. I have to think that this was some kind of "punishment" for the police, to be castrated and made to watch while the community they are sworn to protect is forced to hide, flee, and be trashed. Maybe the cops have the attitude now that says "Screw it, let it burn".

Mayor Daley only made the order to "shoot to maim looters, shoot to kill arsonists" as a last resort, after there was not enough force available to handle the mob through arrest and remove. It's not a great solution, but far better, in my opinion, than letting the city burn. I was pretty young at the time, but my memory is that his order is what took all the steam out of the rioters.

This whole thing has made me want to move as far as possible from Chicago (or any large, liberal, diverse city) as possible. If this is the future, I don't want any part of it. And being retired, I don't have to be, thank God. My guess is this event makes many others act in the same manner, it's just not worth it anymore.
The cops claim they are undermanned, which is why they are unable to detain the looters. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Maybe if they directed their aggression at the looters rather than peaceful protesters and media they’d be able to keep the looting under control. The videos from this twitter thread are absolutely insane. This is the kind of **** that only serves to further enrage those already on edge. And, quite frankly, it pisses this white male off too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder...52661791674370

Old 06-04-2020, 07:14 AM

And if you don’t have the time to scroll through the entire thread, I’ll leave a couple vids for you here. Again, why is this show of force directed at protesters rather than the idiots breaking into stores and walking out with handfuls of “goodies” or the ones lighting stuff on fire with explosives like that [bleep] from Illinois (at least he was arrested)?

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder...87316905562113

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder...13315613806592

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-04-2020 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 07:22 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
I think any organization is ran smoother by what I might call an "Affective Family" model.

E.g. I have 2 children. One is throwing a tantrum going from room to room but seems to just be yelling and crying without damaging anything. The 2nd child is displaying anger and trying to break whatever they can get their hands on, in any given room.

WHICH of the 2 is my PRIORITY to attend to/discipline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois