Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 08:26 AM

37,280 posts, read 39,605,795 times

Advertisements

There’s the Chicago deep dish, the Quad Cities style pizza, and I’m guessing the IL side of the metropolitan area has St. Louis style pizza. Has anyone tried all three of these in their respective regions? What did you think of each?

I’ve never tried the Quad Cities style and I’m having a hard time imagining what it tastes like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 08:42 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,298,409 times
OyCrumbler, good morning. Maybe you saw, but I referenced in other posts, a great book: Pizza City, USA: 101 Reasons Why Chicago is America's Greatest Pizza Town, by Steve Dolinsky.

By all means, check out this book! They reference all the different pizzas you mention; plus others like Chicago Thin, Thin, New York Style, Sicilian, etc.

The book lists a history of restaurants that serve various styles, their locations, and his rating of the restaurant. Real nice and easy read.

I have not had deep dish for YEARS. When I did, it was at Uno Pizzeria, downtown Chicago.

Enjoy your pizza quest!

Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,196,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There’s the Chicago deep dish, the Quad Cities style pizza, and I’m guessing the IL side of the metropolitan area has St. Louis style pizza. Has anyone tried all three of these in their respective regions? What did you think of each?

I’ve never tried the Quad Cities style and I’m having a hard time imagining what it tastes like.
Roots Pizza, now with a couple locations in Chicago, makes Quad Cities style pizza. It's the only Quad Cities style pizza I've had so I can't attest to how good other places are in the Quad Cities, but Roots is very good, IMO. It's a thicker thin crust pizza

Here's a decent explainer.
Quad Cities-style Pizza: Explained - Visit Quad Cities

I haven't had St. Louis style pizza and the only descriptions of it I've seen are the joke ones when people were doing the "St. Louis style..." memes of different things last year or the year before.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:07 AM

fusillirob1983, good day! I tried Roots in Lincoln Square once. It was not the Quad Cities style, but either way I was NOT blown away. Even looking at the pictures of the food just does NOT look appealing to me.

And I wanted to like it, because it DOES get good reviews from others (just like with you) AND I wanted to like it because it's in Lincoln Square!

So maybe I am in the minority. But that's ok. If you like it, you enjoy it. You can't be wrong because others share the same taste as you, for Roots.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:02 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,082,460 times
https://abeautifulmess.com/2015/02/s...yle-pizza.html
Got curious, didn't know they had their own; seems similar to NYC thin; which I love.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,910,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://abeautifulmess.com/2015/02/s...yle-pizza.html
Got curious, didn't know they had their own; seems similar to NYC thin; which I love.
Interesting. Not regional to Chicago, but I have tried "New Haven- style" pizza at Piece Pizza in Chicago (Wicker Park). This place is insanely popular and delicious. It kind of looks like St. Louis style pizza (thin crispy crust, and minimal portions of cheese and sauce). Apparently New Haven pizza is made so that you can equally taste the cheese, sauce, and crust with each bite. I'm wondering if St. Louis style pizza is similar?

If in Chicago, Piece Pizza is definitely a great alternative to some of the deep dish places downtown. Interestingly, even though deep dish is Chicago's regional pizza (or what it''s known for), outside of the downtown core and some Chicagoland franchises (Lou Malnati's, Giordanno's, Uno's); most of the popular pizza places in the neighborhoods are not deep dish.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:03 PM

Deep dish looks delicious. And for those who are not sure, they put the cheese on the dough BEFORE the sauce; where most pizzas put the sauce on the dough and THEN the cheese.

Looking at deep dish, however, makes me feel TIRED because it looks too much! But hey, sometimes you got to live it up. Have a slice of deep dish and a couple of beer with some friends... And then go take a nap for 20 hours!

Old 04-14-2020, 12:27 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,082,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Interesting. Not regional to Chicago, but I have tried "New Haven- style" pizza at Piece Pizza in Chicago (Wicker Park). This place is insanely popular and delicious. It kind of looks like St. Louis style pizza (thin crispy crust, and minimal portions of cheese and sauce). Apparently New Haven pizza is made so that you can equally taste the cheese, sauce, and crust with each bite. I'm wondering if St. Louis style pizza is similar?

If in Chicago, Piece Pizza is definitely a great alternative to some of the deep dish places downtown. Interestingly, even though deep dish is Chicago's regional pizza (or what it''s known for), outside of the downtown core and some Chicagoland franchises (Lou Malnati's, Giordanno's, Uno's); most of the popular pizza places in the neighborhoods are not deep dish.

Haven't tried the downstate variety, but looks very similar to what I grew up on.
A few(many actually)years back there were a lot more local pizza joints out here in the suburbs.
Most of them offered really good, sorta burned, cracker crust with a medium robust sauce.
Hopefully Pequod's will be open again soon, would like to try their carmelized cheese variety.
I've had some bad pizzas lately, either suffering from too much cheese; or from using new pans.
Not sure how one ages cast iron, but some places need to learn.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:51 PM

37,280 posts, read 39,605,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Roots Pizza, now with a couple locations in Chicago, makes Quad Cities style pizza. It's the only Quad Cities style pizza I've had so I can't attest to how good other places are in the Quad Cities, but Roots is very good, IMO. It's a thicker thin crust pizza

Here's a decent explainer.
Quad Cities-style Pizza: Explained - Visit Quad Cities

I haven't had St. Louis style pizza and the only descriptions of it I've seen are the joke ones when people were doing the "St. Louis style..." memes of different things last year or the year before.
That taco pizza looks ridiculous. I would definitely be up for trying it.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,428,060 times
Have had both STL-style and Chicago-style deep dish, but never heard of Quad Cities style. The picture kind of makes it look a bit like what I remember of pan-style Pizza Hut when I was a little kid. To me, STL-style (and others like it--very thin, crispy) is superior to deep dish, but there's a time and a place for deep dish...if you're willing to wait! However, there are so many places in Chicagoland that make good, non deep dish pizza...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois