Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Six months ago, when current events were not on anyone's radar, it was common to read opinions that IL would be totally firetrucked in the event of a sudden and deep economic downturn. I guess we're going to find out whether that is true. The effect will be dampened due to money coming in from the Feds, but if everyone doesn't get back to work soon, things are going to get really ugly around here, I sure do wish I would have sold the house last fall instead of waiting for summer. Heck, you can't get many Chicagoans from having house parties and pickup b-ball games in the current situation, wait until the grape soda shortages hit, LOL. My guess is both Lightfoot and Pritzker would have stayed out of politics if they knew what the future entailed, Rauner is probably saying "Whew!"

I have been watching news from other countries (Italy, for instance), and then other U.S. states (WA) and finally cities (NY) to get an idea of what "worst case" futures we may face. We need to see a change in the curve of the rate of infections / deaths from this. Whether summer will bring relief should be easy to see, because the country has what, fifteen-hundred miles of latitude, with summer hitting TX and FL literally months before it hits MN and ND - I believe it was 85° in Atlanta yesterday. If summer decreases the angle of the curve, we'll see it down south first, right?

New Orleans has the same weather, and so does Brazil. No curve angling, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 12:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm wondering how IL. is going make up all the lost tax dollars from the virus. Sales tax, gas tax, lotto income, weed tax, income tax, investment income, business tax, convention income, tourism, the list goes on and on. Chicago will be hit the hardest and they are already at the upper limit of raising fees and taxes so it will be interesting what they do. Plus, you can bet the Porky will be pushing his "fair tax" so they can raise the income tax rate on everybody. Going to be fun to watch.
The same way every single part of the country will be helped out of it.... bailouts. Taxes almost seem irrelevant now after seeing the ability of the gov't to magically come up with $2 TRILLION.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
I'm wondering how IL. is going make up all the lost tax dollars from the virus. Sales tax, gas tax, lotto income, weed tax, income tax, investment income, business tax, convention income, tourism, the list goes on and on. Chicago will be hit the hardest and they are already at the upper limit of raising fees and taxes so it will be interesting what they do. Plus, you can bet the Porky will be pushing his "fair tax" so they can raise the income tax rate on everybody. Going to be fun to watch.
Do you get some kind of sick thrill calling the Governor Porky? So far I give the guy an A+ on his handling of the coronavirus and how he has kept the government running, as opposed to the Rauner disaster. Both he and Lightfoot have shown leadership that actually has been refreshing in Illinois government.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Do you get some kind of sick thrill calling the Governor Porky? So far I give the guy an A+ on his handling of the coronavirus and how he has kept the government running, as opposed to the Rauner disaster. Both he and Lightfoot have shown leadership that actually has been refreshing in Illinois government.
I would also give Pritzer high marks for his handling of the coronavirus. I don't hear what the numbers are in Chicago for infected or deaths. Anyone have info

Old 03-29-2020, 03:23 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
[/b]
New Orleans has the same weather, and so does Brazil. No curve angling, sorry.
I think it's a little too soon to tell, since testing in large numbers is just starting to happen, and likely many of the transmissions happened last month, when it was cooler. If you are correct, though, too bad for us. New Orleans is attributing its large spike in cases to Mardi Gras (that I think happened at the end of February). The Mayor of N.O. is blaming the Feds for "Not warning them not to hold the Mardi Gras parade", what a bunch of idiots. At least Pritzker had the brains to cancel the St. Paddy's day celebrations. We could have saved a lot of grief had we taken the precautions two weeks earlier, however.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Not if you're living out of state on an IL government pension it's not!

Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
So far I give the guy an A+ on his handling of the coronavirus and how he has kept the government running, as opposed to the Rauner disaster.

Apparently you are missing the paradox of leaving liquor and tobacco stores open.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Apparently you are missing the paradox of leaving liquor and tobacco stores open.
If only he was as proactive as Governor Ron DeSantis!

Old 03-31-2020, 01:18 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
And allowing the primary election - he dropped the ball on that one, too. It will be interesting to get the tab for Illinois' embracing its "sanctuary state" status when all this is over - will it help or hurt us, and by how much? Supposedly, the Feds are only sending stimulus dollars to documented citizens, not sure how they are enforcing that. I imagine companies that have undocumented employees will still get their loans, grants, etc..

Old 03-31-2020, 02:41 PM

21,928 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Not if you're living out of state on an IL government pension it's not!
I think if you are getting an Ill pension, you should be required to stay in this cesspool to contribute to the tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois