Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 20,708 times

Advertisements

I am single mom thinking about moving to Freeport. Will Freeport be welcoming to us? How are the schools?Activities for the kids? Daycares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Anyone got any recent info on Freeport? Good place for a couple with teenage daughter to live? I know the state as a whole is not in great shape, and I'm highly considering just moving out of state, but for the right offer is Freeport worth it?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I know very little about it, but I visited there last Sept. to see a friend.

Overall the town looked fairly nice, but not bustling or growing that I could see. Keep in mind: Freeport is VERY isolated out by itself. Even Rockford, the nearest big city, is some distance away.

I think I learned more about the town by hearing people's stories that Freeport was once an industrial town that has now been reduced to a shell of its former self. Manufacturing has left in many cases, jobs are not plentiful, and like I mentioned the town is isolated out in the middle of farmland USA. Homes/ rents are inexpensive there, but like all of Illinois, property taxes are high if you purchase real estate.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I know very little about it, but I visited there last Sept. to see a friend.

Overall the town looked fairly nice, but not bustling or growing that I could see. Keep in mind: Freeport is VERY isolated out by itself. Even Rockford, the nearest big city, is some distance away.

I think I learned more about the town by hearing people's stories that Freeport was once an industrial town that has now been reduced to a shell of its former self. Manufacturing has left in many cases, jobs are not plentiful, and like I mentioned the town is isolated out in the middle of farmland USA. Homes/ rents are inexpensive there, but like all of Illinois, property taxes are high if you purchase real estate.
Thanks. I see some of the reviews are just not good at all. Is crime REALLY that high, folks?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thanks. I see some of the reviews are just not good at all. Is crime REALLY that high, folks?
Yes.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
I heard that several years back, the town of Monroe, WI (maybe twenty miles north) was having problems with thugs, many from Freeport, congregating in the town square in the evening (outdoor urination, minor vandalism, noise, loud music from cars, erratic driving, catcalling, etc., the "usual" problems when bored teenagers start congregating in large numbers). So, the city started playing classical music at a fairly high volume in the evening, and the problem went away, LOL. I'd choose Monroe over Freeport as a desirable place to live about 100% of the time, unless I had a good job in Freeport, and maybe even then. Even little border towns like Orangeville seem much nicer. Freeport is pretty spread out, so there are likely better areas than others. There is another recent thread on Freeport that you may want to look at, the "Search" button is your friend on C-D.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I heard that several years back, the town of Monroe, WI (maybe twenty miles north) was having problems with thugs, many from Freeport, congregating in the town square in the evening (outdoor urination, minor vandalism, noise, loud music from cars, erratic driving, catcalling, etc., the "usual" problems when bored teenagers start congregating in large numbers). So, the city started playing classical music at a fairly high volume in the evening, and the problem went away, LOL. I'd choose Monroe over Freeport as a desirable place to live about 100% of the time, unless I had a good job in Freeport, and maybe even then. Even little border towns like Orangeville seem much nicer. Freeport is pretty spread out, so there are likely better areas than others. There is another recent thread on Freeport that you may want to look at, the "Search" button is your friend on C-D.
Thanks. I did a search, didn't see any recent info on it.

I'd be working on the west side of town, near the community college. From what I see, that area is pretty good....but honestly...I'm seriously considering just moving out of state completely. I really am just kind of sick of this state as a whole.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:00 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thanks. I did a search, didn't see any recent info on it.

I'd be working on the west side of town, near the community college. From what I see, that area is pretty good....but honestly...I'm seriously considering just moving out of state completely. I really am just kind of sick of this state as a whole.
You can move out of the state but can always come back to this forum and bash the state and say how great it is where you moved. Lot of posters do that.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Things aren't "Free" there, and it's not a "Port," either. 0/10 for misleading name, would not recommend.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You can move out of the state but can always come back to this forum and bash the state and say how great it is where you moved. Lot of posters do that.

We'll if you've lived it you might save someone the hassle of moving again. My family settled in McHenry County in the late 1800's. We sold the farm in 1997 and got the heck out along with all of our extended family except for 1 aunt. Wife only has a brother and sister in the Rockford/ Oregon area and both of them are planning their escape as well. HELLinois is NOT all Unicorns and Rainbows which is unfortunate because it really was a nice place when i was growing up.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois