Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM

179 posts, read 271,838 times

Advertisements

*sorry, I meant to write "get a giant bag of chips for a small fee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 PM

117 posts, read 84,087 times
I bought a house in Freeport about 5 years ago because i found a very good deal & i had almost nothing but a negative experience upon moving there. I've had break ins, thefts & problems with strangers & police. So when i had the chance to leave i leaped for it & now my house there sits empty with a lot of stuff still there waiting till i get the chance to clean it out & try to sell. It was sad because i was hopeful my family & i would be able to live happily ever after there but instead i've lost a lot of trust in people.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 PM

That's extremely unfortunate. I am sorry for your experiences and wish you the best moving forward.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Just in case anyone finds this thread in a search for info on Freeport, here's my abridged impression from my first-ever visit in late December:

It was better than expected. You can go to Mrs. Mike's to get a giant bag of chips for free (it's a local thing). Freeport hosted a Lincoln-Douglas debate, and there is a square there with plenty of info. The library is next door, and it seems quite nice (has a history room open at times if you are into that). The small Wrigley Field is interesting to view, and it seems that in better weather there are real games and a visitor's center for it. Krape Park is as about nice as any Chicagoland park I think I'd ever been to. Even in December, its beauty and cleanliness was impressive. I had a great visit at the Stephenson County Museum. This is It was the top-rated restaurant when I did some research and asked around. It's in an old building with a great view of the old post office, and the beef comes from the owner himself. The downtown has a nice collection of old buildings with architecture that you won't find in even many of Chicago's nicer suburbs. There are BIG, BIG houses that I found interesting in a few different neighborhoods. The people were friendly, much friendlier than just about any place I've been in IL. The art museum wasn't a high point, but I had a reciprocal membership to get in for free.

If you don't know Freeport, I think it's worth a day trip. If you want to work or live there, I can't speak to city politics, crime, schools, etc., but there are things to do, some gorgeous homes, some stunning parks that seem to be well-maintained, and access to a decent number of things to do in Rockford. I was impressed by the trip out.
Sounds like a very nice community. Unfortunately, it has to be in the state it is. Honestly...this is about leaving the horribly mismanaged state of Illinois for me, not just skipping out on any particular town.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,691 times
What is it with the taxes in Freeport? Every home we look at 'for sale' there, does not report the taxes on it. Even if we ask on Realtor.com, no one answers. Are they that high?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneblond View Post
What is it with the taxes in Freeport? Every home we look at 'for sale' there, does not report the taxes on it. Even if we ask on Realtor.com, no one answers. Are they that high?
I noticed the same thing (I was looking at homes just for fun.) Read between the lines: they're hiding the data for a reason

Old 02-02-2022, 07:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,205,579 times
I've been looking into possibly moving to Freeport, IL from the East Coast.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Just in case anyone finds this thread in a search for info on Freeport, here's my abridged impression from my first-ever visit in late December:

It was better than expected. You can go to Mrs. Mike's to get a giant bag of chips for free (it's a local thing). Freeport hosted a Lincoln-Douglas debate, and there is a square there with plenty of info. The library is next door, and it seems quite nice (has a history room open at times if you are into that). The small Wrigley Field is interesting to view, and it seems that in better weather there are real games and a visitor's center for it. Krape Park is as about nice as any Chicagoland park I think I'd ever been to. Even in December, its beauty and cleanliness was impressive. I had a great visit at the Stephenson County Museum. This is It was the top-rated restaurant when I did some research and asked around. It's in an old building with a great view of the old post office, and the beef comes from the owner himself. The downtown has a nice collection of old buildings with architecture that you won't find in even many of Chicago's nicer suburbs. There are BIG, BIG houses that I found interesting in a few different neighborhoods. The people were friendly, much friendlier than just about any place I've been in IL. The art museum wasn't a high point, but I had a reciprocal membership to get in for free.

If you don't know Freeport, I think it's worth a day trip. If you want to work or live there, I can't speak to city politics, crime, schools, etc., but there are things to do, some gorgeous homes, some stunning parks that seem to be well-maintained, and access to a decent number of things to do in Rockford. I was impressed by the trip out.
Very informative, thanks!

I want to visit Freeport to see if I could get a "Freeport Pretzels" athletics t-shirt/memorabilia.

Does anyone know a place that would sell those? Walmart? Local sports shops?

Old 03-06-2022, 10:45 PM

This shop is downtown: https://www.sportsrecreationandapparel.com (Sports Recreation and Apparel).

Old 03-07-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
This shop is downtown: https://www.sportsrecreationandapparel.com (Sports Recreation and Apparel).
Awesome, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois