Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM

997 posts, read 852,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
State income taxes need to be raised at least 20% to reach fiscal well being.
[Rauner] would probably do it if he could get re elected. He is desperate.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
OMG, say it ain't so. Jim Durkin and the repubs wants to raise taxes.
why does anyone think EITHER party is serious about actually being responsible?

I'd be ok with higher taxes if the tax revenue was in any way linked to the amount of money they'd actually spend. But they aren't. They will spend what they spend regardless of the money in the bank.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 PM

1,874 posts, read 819,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
True but that's setting the bar low and doesn't negate the fact that the over the top conservative movement in Kansas is an epic failure.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...olumn,amp.html
no the low bar is us

Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,198,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
no the low bar is us
That's what I said...but does not negate the fact that Brownback has caused a significant amount of hurt in a short period of time in Kansas. He's over the top with his conservative policies (basically the exact opposite of Illinois). Hasn't worked out well for him (or Kansas). He won't be elected for any future political position after this train wreck that's for sure.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
That's what I said...but does not negate the fact that Brownback has caused a significant amount of hurt in a short period of time in Kansas. He's over the top with his conservative policies (basically the exact opposite of Illinois). Hasn't worked out well for him (or Kansas). He won't be elected for any future political position after this train wreck that's for sure.

Somebody tell Rauner this. At least the repubs took action (unlike Rauner) and raised income tax to 5.75%.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 920,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Somebody tell Rauner this. At least the repubs took action (unlike Rauner) and raised income tax to 5.75%.
Why raise anything until pensions take a serious haircut? We're never gonna pay back $200 billion so it's pointless to raise anything. You can't START saving for retirement at 60. The only two solutions are to:

1. Tax public pensions by X% effectively reducing them and funnel 100% of proceeds into future pension benefits creating a compounding effect (for out-of-staters call it a maintenance fee)

2. If you can't do #1 then just declare bankruptcy hopefully as a state or every city in Illinois files collectively.

That's literally the only 2 solutions. We are never ever ever going to pay them back and never ever ever going to amend the constitution to be able to reduce pensions.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Why raise anything until pensions take a serious haircut? We're never gonna pay back $200 billion so it's pointless to raise anything. You can't START saving for retirement at 60. The only two solutions are to:

1. Tax public pensions by X% effectively reducing them and funnel 100% of proceeds into future pension benefits creating a compounding effect (for out-of-staters call it a maintenance fee)

2. If you can't do #1 then just declare bankruptcy hopefully as a state or every city in Illinois files collectively.

That's literally the only 2 solutions. We are never ever ever going to pay them back and never ever ever going to amend the constitution to be able to reduce pensions.
Oh, another stall tactic (court case)? Why stop at public pensions, tax private too, 401k's, 457's, 403b's and even add a tax on social security. Yo know spread the pain. Heck, the wealthy will be all over that since they don't rely on any of those retirement plans. Just don't propose to tax any capital gains because then you would have a riot on your hands, 15% is already WAY more than any wealthy person should pay on there income.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,893 times
passive income has already been taxed once. you obviously don't have a strong grasp on tax policy.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
passive income has already been taxed once. you obviously don't have a strong grasp on tax policy.
What's to grasp? That the wealthy pulled one over on the serfs? Any "new" money you didn't have the year before should be treated like regular income (yes I realize that ISNT the current tax policy). And yes I do pay capital gains when I sell some positions in my brokerage account (doesn't mean it's fair). I don't believe some 20 or 30 something that is left millions of dollars should only pay 15% on the gains of the principle. Just because he didn't have to work for the that income shouldn't mean he should realize an enormous benefit from it. The opposite should be true, he should pay more not less.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,198,034 times
Must be a holiday miracle, looks like they are finally going to get it done:

Amid impassse, Illinois House clears first hurdle towards budget plan | Chicago Sun-Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois