Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM

997 posts, read 852,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You've tried raising this idiotic argument before and you were thoroughly discredited. Again, any notion that the income tax hike made any sense in absence of reforms is completely off base. "It took $31.6 billion of new tax revenue to reduce the backlog of bills by $1.3 billion." And it was an absolutely bad idea.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...come-tax-hike/

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/2011-...-other-states/

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/2011-...w-study-shows/

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/incom...come-tax-hike/

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/famil...come-tax-hike/
Discredited? And you quote Illinois policy, hahahahahhahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 AM

1,068 posts, read 920,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Agree. I lean pretty far right, but I recognize there's no way out of the pension hole without some sort of tax increase.

Furthermore, the ongoing lack of a budget is hurting people of both parties in this state. The Dems have a majority in the legislature. The Republicans have to either compromise or filibuster on tax increases and continue the gridlock. Doing the latter has actually made things worse. If the Republicans actually get behind this, then the ball's in the Dem's court. Then we'll see if they play ball or not.
Rauner has said all along he supports a tax increase so long as it comes with real structural reform. Democrats (mostly Madigan) never went for it. He's even tried to compromise on term limits including himself and top level politicians. Again, democrats said no. He's really tried to work with the other side but we need Madigan to retire, resign or die in order to get anything done.

The gridlock and lack of budget has actually been good for Illinois. Voters need to feel the pain caused by the democrats over the last 30 years so we can restructure hopefully through bankruptcy or something similar. It's easy to think everything's great as unbalanced budgets get rubber stamped year in and year out just adding to debt levels. Now that Rauner has finally said enough is enough and we need change it will take some pain to realize that change.

It reminds me very much of when Theo Epstein came in for the Cubs in 2012. He got rid of veterans, stopped overpaying veterans, shed expensive contracts, made trades for prospects and built through the draft. It was a painful 4 years (or 108!) but we finally won the World Series. Rauner is our Theo Epstein. If he had a republican legislature...or reasonable democrats...or if Madigan got hit by a bus...we would be on the path to turning around in 4-5 years.

In the end...i'm kinda loving gridlock cause it leads to bankruptcy. I don't wanna pay back these pensions.

Last edited by dtcbnd03; 06-17-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,473,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Rauner has said all along he supports a tax increase so long as it comes with real structural reform. Democrats (mostly Madigan) never went for it. He's even tried to compromise on term limits including himself and top level politicians. Again, democrats said no. He's really tried to work with the other side but we need Madigan to retire, resign or die in order to get anything done.

The gridlock and lack of budget has actually been good for Illinois. Voters need to feel the pain caused by the democrats over the last 30 years so we can restructure hopefully through bankruptcy or something similar. It's easy to think everything's great as unbalanced budgets get rubber stamped year in and year out just adding to debt levels. Now that Rauner has finally said enough is enough and we need change it will take some pain to realize that change.

It reminds me very much of when Theo Epstein came in for the Cubs in 2012. He got rid of veterans, stopped overpaying veterans, shed expensive contracts, made trades for prospects and built through the draft. It was a painful 4 years (or 108!) but we finally won the World Series. Rauner is our Theo Epstein. If he had a republican legislature...or reasonable democrats...or if Madigan got hit by a bus...we would be on the path to turning around in 4-5 years.

In the end...i'm kinda loving gridlock cause it leads to bankruptcy. I don't wanna pay back these pensions.
I like your analysis. My only concern is that the voters will blame the wrong person.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,473,177 times
Illinois voters have not distinguished themselves in the past as being particularly bright, especially in Chicago, which will just blindly vote Democrat. Rauner and the Republicans are going to need a big turnout downstate.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:12 PM

997 posts, read 852,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

Or we would look like kansas. That republican governor really screwed that state up. Now he's doubling down.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,722,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
As a right winger , I understand that we will need to raise state income tax (temporarily) to get us out of this hole.

As long as we have a solution for the pensions moving forward and have cut some fat out of the budget, I'm okay with a hike to get us out of this mess.

As I read this article, I'm not so sure the real reform is there yet, but it is a step in the right direction.
The problem I have with temporary tax increases is that they are often not temporary. The politicians get used to having the extra income, so it stays that way.

But I agree. Taxes need to increase and spending needs to decrease for us to escape the mess we are in.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM

597 posts, read 668,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
As a right winger , I understand that we will need to raise state income tax (temporarily) to get us out of this hole.

As long as we have a solution for the pensions moving forward and have cut some fat out of the budget, I'm okay with a hike to get us out of this mess.

As I read this article, I'm not so sure the real reform is there yet, but it is a step in the right direction.
I'm so worried that it all leads nowhere; it doesn't get us out of his hole - there's new money coming in, thus there's new money to get diverted, wasted, kicked-back, whatever. But, I guess with all the court orders, consent decrees, and pending lawsuits, a big percentage would HAVE to go to legit use?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM

1,874 posts, read 819,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Or we would look like kansas. That republican governor really screwed that state up. Now he's doubling down.
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Kansas is in far better shape than we are. Do you need those to be from Vox or Huffpost to believe them?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:13 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,198,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Kansas is in far better shape than we are. Do you need those to be from Vox or Huffpost to believe them?
True but that's setting the bar low and doesn't negate the fact that the over the top conservative movement in Kansas is an epic failure.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...olumn,amp.html

Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM

20,161 posts, read 9,055,673 times
State income taxes need to be raised at least 20% to reach fiscal well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois