Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,620,678 times

Advertisements

FIB--I agree with the posters who mention biting the hands that feed....but there are MANY MANY wisconsin native jokes arent there??

Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
FIB--I agree with the posters who mention biting the hands that feed....but there are MANY MANY wisconsin native jokes arent there??
Well, they like the Packers, not much else to say. LOL I think thats bad enough.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,896 times
I grew up outside of Chicago and for years we had a cottage about 1/2 hour outside of Madison. All the locals called us FIBs or Flatlanders and were quite rude. I think it's because most of those from Illinois had more money and weren't afraid to rub it in the local's faces. There was a big distinction between the two. I then moved to Madison for eight years ('87-'95) and it was more about the driving and the aforementioned gang problems from those moving up from Chicago.

The cops definitely like to pull over those with Illinois plates. I was driving my parents' car back to Chicago one day after borrowing it for a move. I was going 80+ in a 55 zone. The cop really acted surprised when he saw the Wisco drivers license. He asked me if I was a student and I said, "No, I live there and work there, just returning my parents' car that I borrowed." He said, "Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were a Wisconsinite. I've already filled out too much of the ticket so I have to give you one. Here's a ticket for going five over. Sorry."

I moved back to Chicago in '95 and now live in California. Illinois drivers aren't that bad. Boston is the worst and Wisconsin drivers aren't good.

My sister lives outside of Madison and they hate FIBs. They think they are know-it-alls and that they look down their noses at those from Wisconsin. They actually have that last part correct.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM

76 posts, read 476,280 times
Well, I no longer live in Il, but I'll tell you when I did, and when my wife and I took a drive in WI, my wife would say that the state trooper is watching us because we had IL plates.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 PM

31 posts, read 172,638 times
I just have to say LOL at people from Wisconsin calling people "flatlanders". But then, I'm from Colorado so I guess my interpretation of the term may be skewed a bit.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:44 PM

774 posts, read 2,497,380 times
This is just a classic "townie vs. vacation home owner/tourist" divide. Chicagoans go up to places such as Lake Geneva and Door County and buy up the real estate (a similar situation is on the other side of Lake Michigan in southwestern Michigan), which in turn pushes a lot of the locals out. On the other end, Wisconsin's urban areas such as Milwaukee and Green Bay have economies that are stagnant compared to Chicago, so there's a great amount of envy there, as well. So, you've got Illinois people driving up the real estate prices in the most beautiful areas of Wisconsin while the rest of the more northern state isn't keeping up in economic terms with Illinois in general. Even though I'm a Chicagoan, I can understand why Wisconsin natives might be a bit testy toward us.

However, I've got to defend Chicago drivers here. In Chicago, you're expected to know what you're doing and where you're going when you're driving (i.e. get out of the left lane if someone wants to pass you, start moving as soon as the stoplight turns green, etc.). When a tourist is driving around downtown Chicago and there are a millions cars and people milling about, you can't just expect to be able to mosey around. If you don't turn in time when a light changes and a bunch of cars are backed up because of your actions, then you deserve to get honked at. If you want to take a leisurely drive, then feel free to do that in a small town. You just can't and shouldn't do that while driving through Chicago.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM

27 posts, read 208,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1977 View Post
I have to agree that Illinois drivers are some of the worst I've seen. I moved away to Hawaii for a year and a half, and it wasn't until I came back that I realized just how aggressive and rude the drivers are here in Illinois.
Aggressive driving is accepted and basically expected.

There is no such thing as a leisurely drive through the city... at least not anytime during the day. Perhaps 3 am?

IL/WI... I could care less what WI folks think, maybe thats what they dont like? WI feels they are cinderella and IL is the wicked stepmother?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, the eastern UP is doing OK because it's close enough to Detroit for Detroit money to keep it afloat. The western UP is pretty depressing though -- too far away from Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities to have any serious infusion of urban money. It's basically Mississippi with snow and Canadian accents.
That's not being very nice. The western UP is God's country you know, and nothing like the South. Western Yooperland has plenty of tourists/visitors from Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. Not that many people live there, and I am thinking those that do actually like the rural character.

My parents' vacation home in the eastern UP is not exacting appreciating. Detroit money isn't sustaining much of anything now, maybe the half of Harbor Springs and Petoskey that isn't funded by Chicago money.

Ohio drivers are still the slowest and most clueless anywhere. Wisconsin drivers are definitely slow compared to Illinois or Michigan; Wisconsin drivers are probably similar to those from Iowa and Minnesota, from what I have seen.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 16,462 times
I have been to WI a lot in my life and never had one single issue. However, the reason the IL folks get targeted because they more than likely do something asinine or are rude as hell to the residents. I have heard stories of how IL folks mistreat the natural resources of WI.

Another reason stems from the expressways. IL charges a toll on I-94 coming out of WI (I believe it's a dollar or more) and many folks do not like that. However, they could always use US 41 to avoid the toll.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzII View Post
I have been to WI a lot in my life and never had one single issue. However, the reason the IL folks get targeted because they more than likely do something asinine or are rude as hell to the residents. I have heard stories of how IL folks mistreat the natural resources of WI
I am a former resident of Illinois. I remember a Wisconsin guy complaining that the Illinoisans come up and use their parks. Just use them, mind you, like that's a bad thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois