Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

I have recently accepted a job in the Quad Cities area. I will be moving there with my 12 year old son and I wanted some information about the area. My main concern is placing my son in the best school district and raising him in a safe diverse community. I have a home to sell in Savannah, so renting is my only option at this time. Any suggestions on nice apartment complexes that fit the criteria I listed above. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Best schools are in Bettendorf -- both Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf HS are good. Moline HS is a good second.

If looking at private schools, you have Alleman (Rock Island) and Assumption (Davenport). Alleman is a block from Augustana College and is in a safe area of Rock Island. Mostly anything south of 7th Ave and east of 30th street is safe in Rock Island.

If living in Davenport, stay toward the East side. West side is generally rough.

Where are you working? (city). Commute isn't that big of a deal. I went 8 miles from Augustana (Rock Island) to East Moline when I was working in about 15 minutes. 20 at most.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM

219 posts, read 455,227 times
Bettendorf by far has the best school district in the QCA, Moline isn't far behind. I pretty much agree with caverunner on this. However, I would also look into the Eldridge area!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post

If living in Davenport, stay toward the East side. West side is generally rough.

It's hard to say where the rough area is. It's more in the middle. South of Locust.

The east side would include the area a couple blocks west of the east village, which is pretty rough, but not dangerous.

The west side would include the neighborhood around West High school which is fine.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
It's hard to say where the rough area is. It's more in the middle. South of Locust.

The east side would include the area a couple blocks west of the east village, which is pretty rough, but not dangerous.

The west side would include the neighborhood around West High school which is fine.
True.

I'd say its pretty safe to say that if you live "up" on the hill in any of the cities you are generally fine. If there are rough spots up on the hill, most seem to happen in smaller patches.

If I move back to the QC, I'd try to find a place near Duck Creek bike path.

Man, I miss the QC

Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,785 times
Thank you for all who responded to my question. It is a huge help as I am unfamiliar with the area. I will be working in Milan, IL, so looking at the map of the area, any of the locations mentioned should be fine. I am curious, is diversity/racism a serious issue in any of the places mentioned. Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
IL is an Ag state; so is Iowa. Other than Chicagoland you'll find more corn and John Deere tractors than people. Most farming communities in Illinois are overwhelmingly White and don't engage in overt racism, but neither are they terribly racially diverse. I cannot speak for Iowa; I don't live there. Generally speaking you find more diversity and in-yer-face racism in larger cites such as Rock Island and Davenport. I was robbed once in Rock Island; I never returned.

Peoria, IL has been integrated for many generations so racism and segregation is not so much of an issue as it is elsewhere. This is not to say it does not, or cannot exist, just that I've never been witness to overt acts or ugly racist remarks.

School is a different issue. Kids are cruel to each other. However, in small schools racism is less likely to NOT be an issue that is ignored. Most Illinois schools give kids K-8 a good basic education. Illinois real estate taxes support schools. Almost every Illinois public high schools is on the State's Watch List because a percentage of the student body cannot meet or exceed the federal and state mandated pass/fall Math and Science requirements. Illinois private schools have no such mandates. You may decide to look at non-public schools when your children are older.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM

219 posts, read 455,227 times
its safe to say Peoria and Rock Island (Quad Cities) are both run down post industrial cities that have little going for it..

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Default No IT IS NOT SAFE to make your assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
its safe to say Peoria and Rock Island (Quad Cities) are both run down post industrial cities that have little going for it..
What a profound and useful (NOT)post. When is the last time you were in either city? How often have you been to either city? I travel to each 3-4 times a year on business for the last 8+ years. There are some small sections that are a bit rundown or rough around the edges. But many more middle class and up neighborhoods that are nice. Rock Island has a downtown that still needs more tenants but is doing pretty good; same for Peoria.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Peoria has been reinventing itself since the first indian attack in the 1600s, and after the first car was invented, after the liquor, after WWII, after the Korean Conflict and before CAT bought the first Mainframe. I typed code for it. This was before the first mall was built when Peoria developers were just beginning to look at NW Peoria for potential business and residential expansion.

The Big 500, Merry-go-Round, and sketchy buildings were removed from Adams to Perry, The past 30-years has been one of positive change that began with continuing the city-wide cleanup effort that extended from Fulton to the shared Bartonville boundary, from Seventh to Washington and included Water. The current fiscal ear is ending with two new museums that open in 10 days, and possibly the completed skywalk. When finished the river front will be the centerpiece of walkable downtown Peoria. The Port of Peoria was moved farther south into the county where improvements continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois