Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:33 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,862 times

Advertisements

^^
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,870,930 times
I've lived here for 40 years and have never even seen one...if I did, I was to little to remember. I've live on the NW side of the city my entire life. I don't worry about tornados at all. My cousin did lose her house in the Plainfield tornado, but after insurance money, they rebuilt and her "new" house is much nicer.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,227,066 times
Well yeah, tornadoes are much more of an "event" and something exciting for an afternoon than something someone would EVER get WORRIED about in their normal daily life.

I've never known anyone who's actually seen a tornado, and the chances of dying from one over the past 10 years in Illinois are 1 in around 6,800,000 people.

If it weren't for one tornado a few years ago in central illinois the rate would be around 1 in 13,000,000.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM

131 posts, read 745,547 times
Tornadoes are something Illinoisans love to scare people from other areas about. The tales of damage can be terrifying. But truth is, it's just one of those little things that make life different. We don't have wildfires, earthquakes are vanishingly rare, hurricanes can't get this far inland, etc. We don't have to worry about those, just the odd tornado. Yes you have to take them seriously when they are in your neighborhood, but truly... I'm 43. I was born here and lived in east central illinois my whole life. I've seen FIVE tornadoes in all those years. Don't sweat the tornadoes.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
I agree with Switch625. While every year you may get a few warnings and hear the sirens go off, the storms are short-lived and rarely spawn tornadoes, especially destructive ones. Ive lived here 30 years and have not even seen a rotation. Microbursts are FAR more common than tornadoes, and can do some pretty hefty damage. This year Carol Stream was hit with a bad microburst, several people were hurt.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM

52 posts, read 190,690 times
The safest place to be from tornados is Soldier Field in Chicago.I hear there are rarely touchdowns there.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 28,907 times
That is why I live in Mackinaw Il....No tornadoes!!....I grew up here and after the big one hit in S. Pekin , Pekin and Morton (we were just missed) we decided to move (back) to Mackinaw a bit sooner than planned....I can now sleep through the nights again during storms...(rub wood)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwemmie View Post
I can now sleep through the nights again during storms...(rub wood)
You mean, "knock on wood"? That sounds bad.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 28,907 times
Default wood....woood....wooooooooood

NO....lol...Rub wood......it's tree friendly .....Knocking hurts!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:04 AM

269 posts, read 1,101,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwemmie View Post
That is why I live in Mackinaw Il....No tornadoes!!....I grew up here and after the big one hit in S. Pekin , Pekin and Morton (we were just missed) we decided to move (back) to Mackinaw a bit sooner than planned....I can now sleep through the nights again during storms...(rub wood)
I too remember the storm that hit those towns! If memory serves me right, there were some big apartments in Morton that were damaged, yet, no one was hurt? I think it actaully started around Manito, did some damage there, and then headed northeast. I do however remember that there was some significant damage in the Heritage Lake area, not very long ago (7-10 years) also. I can't remember if it was a tornado, or just a really strong straight lined wind. In any case the Peoria-Bloomington area has had many close calls, but nothing so severe that we ever attracted national attention. That is really interesting considering how flat many of our cities and towns area. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Goodfield was hit with a nasty storm. Thanks goodess no one was hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois