Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,814 times

Advertisements

Around what month does winter end in the Chicago area? I am from California, so I am a little unsure about when seasons really end and start! Also, what is the weather like around the end of March? If I visit then, what kind of clothes would I plan on bringing?

Old 02-13-2007, 11:37 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,143 times
Default Well...........

Up until this year, winter took a vacation, but on average over my thirt y six years of living here, winter, would start about a week or two before thanksgiving, and would end completely with no fear of an encore, late april, early may, March is a real toss up, last year on St Pats day, it was beautiful, and remained that way, up until New Years Eve, but all years previously March sucked really bad, very little snow, but tons of rain, and cold temps, anywhere from twenty to forty..........I would bring one set of winter clothing, including boots, mittens, scarf, a trench coat if you planning on waiting for a bus train, or cab, a fashionable and warm hat........and pants..

There are only two seasons in Chicago, Winter and Summer, except for last year, we only had Spring, a real long spring

Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
yeah....March is really unpredictable. Usually march is when we see our first 70 degree day of the year, and we might have a couple of great days. Then we get hit with snow or cold again. Its very up and down....as they say, in like a lion out like a lamb. It is usually something like that. my birthday is in march so I always take note of the weather. Last year it was a beautiful 70 degree day and I drove with the windows down for the first time of the year, it was great. The year before, slick roads and snow!!!!

March is the beginning of spring here, but you have to still be prepared for some very cool or occasional cold and snowy days. the above poster is right....its really late april and may when you can be pretty sure your out of the woods!

oh, and I have lived in california. I guess the big difference here is that it can be cold and snowy one day and nice and calm the next. In california weather changes more gradually!!! I think our weather is a bit more exciting!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,814 times
Default i don't know...

I've lived in CA all my life and our weather changes by the day too. I figured March would be pretty unpredictable. I am kind of hoping it's really cold and snowy so I can get a taste of it before I finalize my move! I guess I will just have to check the weather before I go. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM

42 posts, read 129,723 times
Default Illinois Winters

I think the lion and the lamb walk in together and then argue about who gets which day when it comes to March. Be prepared for cold and what we call "warming weather". 40 degrees in March is probably considered warm in Illinois but still cold if you have lived in Cali. most of your life. You aren't going to see mid 60's in March. Anywhere from lower 30's to upper 40's is robably normal. If you want to see cold and snowy then come out here about now. We've had a bit more snow than the last years and it has stayed colder I think. Hope your re-locate goes well and welcome to Illinois.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:36 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,143 times
Default When winter does end, this winter at least.........

Many good things will come when winter ends this year, (this year especially)

The past two years, Illinois has ranked in the top three for West Nile Cases, and Lyme Disease, both fatalities and infections...........but not this year I predict............WHY

The large snowfall and good ol Chicago sub zero temps (which has not occured for quite some time) will bring havoc and chaos to the mosquito and tick populations, especially if this typical Chicago winter continues. The deer population sadly will also suffer, so we dont have to worry about those emergency permits, that allow hunters (which I despise) to hunt in areas normally protected from hunting.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,478 times
Your first real warm up usually comes some time between April 1st and 16th. It is usually a big and sudden wave of warm airmasses accompanied by strong south winds. It lasts for about a 4 days to a week. Then the temperatures dip down to about 48F for about a week.

It gradually warms up into the low 60-ies towards early May. But 9 years out of 10 there will be a huge drop between some time from May 12th to May 19th - low 40ies, and even mid 30ies for 3-5 days.

From Memorial Day onward the summer begins. In the first decade of June you can see an occasional day in the mid 60ies, but after that it's 72+

Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,997 times
What do you mean?????.....Is Illinois still having winter ??? ....I'm from the central part of the state.....And It's 65 Degrees Here, Balmy And A Little Wet From The Melting Of All Of The 12 inches Of Snow from Tuesday and The 1 To 2 Inches Of Snow Last Night.

LOL Just kidding about the 65 degrees. Winter can't go fast enough for me! LOL

Old 02-17-2007, 12:05 PM

131 posts, read 745,350 times
It's snowing again. My car is covered yet again in a fluffy blanket of snow. I like winter and all, but I'm about ready for Spring.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:18 PM

105 posts, read 157,719 times
Like many have already stated, March is completely unpredictable. If I was a weatherman, I wouldn't even try to predict anything until the abosolute end of April. Illinois is nothing more than typical midwest. Several on this forum keep arguing with people(mainly from S. Cali) that their weather here, really isn't that bad. But believe me, our weather is miserable, at least 3/4 of the year. Chicago always seems to be worst with the 'lake effect" in the winter, and the smog in the summer. When we do have a nice day, by the early evening mosquitios the size of elephants come swooping in.

As for what to where? Anything and evrything. Expect it to be usually wet and pretty gloomy. You should come in the fall, or in the late spring. This is the only time of the year that things are nice. But hey, we need this miserable weather so we can feed the world. Hope you enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois