Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,738 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon everyone!

I'll possibly be getting a job the will require me to move central IL. I've research some on B-N areas and C-U areas. I'll be moving from San Antonio but am originally from a small town in SE Iowa. I like the benefits of the big city, but I miss the small water tower towns! I'm 23 and will be moving by myself or with my fiance. I'd be fine being in B-N or C-U, but would prefer some smaller towns within a close proximity.

Give me your opinions and suggestions! I'm open to them all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,299,080 times
Leroy, Hayworth, Funk's Grove. Goodfield.. any number of nice small towns between soouth of Bloomimgton on I-55 and West on I-74. The driiving between B-N and C-U in fair weather and when you are driving on ice and snow can be daunting.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Driving on snow and ice fits my fancy! I drove a semi when I lived in SE Iowa and that was my favorite time to drive. My job now will consist of driving also. I'll be hauling a refractive laser for eye surgery to offices in the state and surrounding states.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to be in the cities for extra options or if I'm ready to go back to the small town.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Where is the job located? Is there a central location from which you'll be picking up stuff to deliver, and if so do you want to stay within a certain radius of it?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Downstate Illinois has changed greatly in the last ten years. Of the four dominate central Illinois MSA's (Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield and Champaign) Peoria is the largest and most different: it is not flat, the largest river in the state runs through the county and five bridges cross it. The Village of Peoria Heights, population 6,000 is surrounded by the the City of Peoria; so is the City of West Peoria, population 5,000. One is near a college whilst the other is near shopping and although they are both near major routes one may be more convenient than others.

Also this area has eight hospitals. LD haulers with down time that live in Peoria park their rigs in Morton and leave their cars when they go back out.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,418,800 times
If you are 23, then you'll probably want to be around B/N or C/U...both areas have a bit more to do and offer for younger people than Peoria, Springfield or Decatur.

Honestly, since neither B/N or C/U are big or highly populated areas, you could live on the outskirts of the city, feel like you're in a small town, and be at some the "bigger" city amenities in probably 10 minutes. B/N doesn't really have a whole lot in the way of suburbs, but I've heard Mahomet and Savoy are nice for C/U.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Where is the job located? Is there a central location from which you'll be picking up stuff to deliver, and if so do you want to stay within a certain radius of it?
The job is all over. I'll be traveling within IL and to surrounding states. I'll be keeping the equipment with me. It's just a Silverado 3500 outfitted to house the laser and move it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If you are 23, then you'll probably want to be around B/N or C/U...both areas have a bit more to do and offer for younger people than Peoria, Springfield or Decatur.

Honestly, since neither B/N or C/U are big or highly populated areas, you could live on the outskirts of the city, feel like you're in a small town, and be at some the "bigger" city amenities in probably 10 minutes. B/N doesn't really have a whole lot in the way of suburbs, but I've heard Mahomet and Savoy are nice for C/U.
That's what I was finding in my research. I also live on the outskirts of SA right now. Even though it has a pop of over 2 million I can be out of town and on a ranch in under ten min now!

Where in B-N and C-U is best to find a house or Apt in a safe neighborhood? I'd like to keep rent below $1000 or my limit for a house would probably be right around $160,000.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 AM

There are plenty of 20-somethings in Peoria that seem happy. If you like towns with a college vibe and tailgate parties then Normal and Champaign is a natural choice. However if you and your fiance think differently and like foreign films, feather beds, juried arts or a renaissance faire then think Peoria area with its boutique village and over 100 restaurants.

The best way I found to learn more about an area is to read the yellow pages in the phone book. it is amazing what you can learn.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM

160 posts, read 198,425 times
Central Illinois, yay. My paternal line was from Lincoln. Blissful childhood memories of idyllic Ray Bradbury-esque small-town Americana.

Totally irrelevant to your housing search, but you have such a cheerful attitude you sound like you'll make it work anywhere. Or move somewhere better.

FWIW< just so I'm not completely hijacking the thread, I will offer that C-U is a nice college town. I myself like the combo of the sophistication of Nobel prize winners and tons of bookstores with the world's finest topsoil all around. Mahomet, as someone mentioned, is a nice town? suburb? Or at least my cousin, who works at the U., has fitted himself up there with a nice little house and big backyard and happy cats and the occasional visit from his daughter/stray cousin, and an amazing view of the stars. And he likes a certain amount of nightlife but is happy, it seems, with CU within easy reach. (The corn is closer, but neither is far.)

This will certainly be not even on your list of priorities or non-priorities either; but you can also look forward to the dirt smelling amazing.

(I've been in NYC too long. Walk outside here, and breathe deep of urine, cigarette smoke, and diesel fuel. Go ahead. You can't hold your breath forever.)

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,418,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There are plenty of 20-somethings in Peoria that seem happy. If you like towns with a college vibe and tailgate parties then Normal and Champaign is a natural choice. However if you and your fiance think differently and like foreign films, feather beds, juried arts or a renaissance faire then think Peoria area with its boutique village and over 100 restaurants.

The best way I found to learn more about an area is to read the yellow pages in the phone book. it is amazing what you can learn.
I wasn't saying that if you are 20-something and in Peoria that you can't be happy, but, in general, the more attractive places in central Illinois for people of that age are B/N and C/U. Besides, many of those attributes you listed of Peoria's can also be found either B/N or C/U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois