Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There was also a fatality in Canada about a year ago as well.

The whole introduction thing bothers me since it was done over the protests of the vast majority of residents living in more rural areas. You know, the people that would actually be impacted by it. On the other hand, I would think the odds of a run-in with moose, bear and cougar would be as much or more of a concern.
Wasn't the reintroduction done under the auspices of the ESA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,441,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamoisee View Post
Sure, because the only reason to have wildlife in north Idaho is so you can kill it an eat it...or, just kill for the thrill of killing. Everyone knows that animals were only put here for us to kill.

Therefore, any other species that interferes with our interests, however slightly, must be eradicated, and if efforts are made to preserve or reintroduce it, it must be a gooberment plot. Yup, yup, pass another beer, Bubba.
Well, your argument would make sense on reintroduction if that was the case... The wolf they have introduced here is NOT indiginous and ACTUALLY will kill the indiginous wolves... Have another beer yourself, and relax a bit.... We LIVE here with these animals, and they are not the cuddly fuzzy kind you might like to snuggle up to in Utopia...

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 AM

16 posts, read 30,440 times
Wolves are native to N. Idaho, elk are not, so when you start talking historical ranges you should be careful unless you want to sound like an idgit.

The originally posted article claims 61 dogs were supposedly killed by wolves in Idaho in the last seven years, heck I could almost run over that many free roaming dogs on the way to town. Wolves need to get with the program and start hunting the county roads and highways.

Wolves serve a useful purpose here, unlike most of those posting to this thread. I guarantee that 100 times more wildlife and livestock are killed by domestic dogs than wolves ever thought of.

In fact, Jeff Cleveland, the poor guy who lost the dog in the original article, knows all about free ranging dogs killing wildlife and even got caught at it once.

Look, I'm all for hunting, but my grandfathers taught us sportsmanship. I find driving up and down the road, swilling beer, with a box of dogs on the back your truck less than sporting. Maybe you can explain to me how turning a pack of dogs on a sleepy Spring bear is sportsman like?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Well, your argument would make sense on reintroduction if that was the case... The wolf they have introduced here is NOT indiginous and ACTUALLY will kill the indiginous wolves... Have another beer yourself, and relax a bit.... We LIVE here with these animals, and they are not the cuddly fuzzy kind you might like to snuggle up to in Utopia...
ummm ..... I believe Chamoisee is a multi generation Idahoan.

Which brings me to this .... I notice that your profile reads: finally in Idaho, which I assume means that you recently moved there.

If you have such problems with the local wildlife, why did you move there?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bare View Post
I find driving up and down the road, swilling beer, with a box of dogs on the back your truck less than sporting. Maybe you can explain to me how turning a pack of dogs on a sleepy Spring bear is sportsman like?
Well said.
From the TV news link:
"..he helped his owner catch bobcats [camera goes to dead mounted bobcat] cougars [camera goes to screaming mounted cougar head] and bears" [bunch of smiling guys beside a dead bear in the garage.]
The dog owner mentions that "drive to hunt" that his dead dog Jake had, and says "I don't know if I'm going to keep hound hunting. You wanna turn dogs out that you put a lot of time and money into just to have them ate?"
Does he not see the poetic irony in this?

The sporting hunters that I know recognize the outdoors as not being about a risk-free one-sided opportunity for plunder.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,822 times
The wolf is a top predator. They have no fear. Most people cannot handle one biting dog. A pack together has the strength to take you out. How long before a pack decides to sample a human is my question? And at that point there will be a law suit and there will come the destruction of the wolf. God help them from stopping people from poaching every one they see after a wolf attack. If they don't manage them themselves the citizens will. Maybe if our fore fathers actually cared about the land they were destroying and taking over it would be different. I want the salmon put back into every river around here. I want too see the native fish run up the rivers and streams we had 100lb fish here. I find it funny that people are so in love with wolves when there are a lot of species missing that the wolf traditionally fed upon. They got it backwards. We need the fish too fill the rivers so the bears can eat them as well as the wolves and cougar and every other living thing that lives off of them. Without real salmon runs supporting the wildlife of the rivers and streams we are only offering the wolf one type of food all year long.

I find it funny that people only focus on the wolf when we have destroyed an entire species of fish and the ecosystem and stolen the land from the native people. The Spokane tribe had its river stolen it's fish stolen and it's land stolen. Funny how we only care for the wolf but not the native human beings who were living here first on this land. We got it all wrong as far as I can see...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,640,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
When they have to lower the amount of Elk tags available, think how many local people that can have an effect on. Outfitters, guides, sporting goods stores, Etc. Employment opportunities seem skinny enough in Idaho without losing more jobs to wolves. I have to admit that I know zero about the economics of Idaho. But I do know that Wyoming would be in serious trouble without hunting and fishing. I read a report in a Cody newspaper that stated if hunter opportunities diminished any further the airlines would be looking for subsities from local business organizations to keep the airport open. All wolf related.
And out of state tourists passing up on Idaho to camp, hunt, and fish in Colorado instead, must be hurting the travel business economy of Idaho.
Colorado's elk population approaching the 300,000 level, with very few or any wolfs in Colorado. Did not make sense to reintroduce wolfs to Idaho in the first place.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Idaho Mountain Express: State biologist clarifies wolf myths - April 7, 2010

With his job positioning him at the forefront of wolf management in the state, Rachael said one of the most frequent myths he heard was that the wolves released in Idaho in 1995 and 1996 were the wrong species for the area.
"That's just pure silliness," he said to the 14 people seated in a backcountry yurt just south of Prairie Creek.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,822 times
Actually it would be impossible to replace the packs that used to run in the woods around here. They were all killed off. So any species that is introduced here now is non native.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
ummm ..... I believe Chamoisee is a multi generation Idahoan.

Which brings me to this .... I notice that your profile reads: finally in Idaho, which I assume means that you recently moved there.

If you have such problems with the local wildlife, why did you move there?
No joke.

I can't wait until they have to deal with a forest fire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho