Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,898,703 times

Advertisements

A pretty serious candidate has declared to challenge Butch Otter who didn't fair as well in 06 as Republicans usually do. Founder of the non partisan citizen advocacy group Common Interest, Keith Allred will run. He has been popular with members of both parties and active in Idaho politics the last few years.

Keith Allred to run against Idaho Gov. Otter | Spokesman.com | Dec 10, 2009

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 PM

66 posts, read 274,803 times
I don't care what party a candidate belongs to, because both major parties are a disasterous disappointment. I would happily vote for a candidate who:
A) Values the Constitution and traditional American culture and values over personal political gain
B) Wants to reduce government spending in meaninful ways, such as reducing entitlement programs
C) Is against higher taxes
D) Believes in equal opportunity rather than equal outcomes
E) Opposes the "I'm ok, you're ok, don't offend anyone", anything goes PC agenda

So no, I guess I wouldn't vote for a Democrat.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,861,937 times
I'll let this thread run a bit...but it's easy for these to go down hill quickly....so everyone please avoid partisan attacks as we discuss further....just a reminder for anyone who's thinking of posting replies...

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,625,686 times
I'm going to write in TreasureValley50.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,929,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley50 View Post
I don't care what party a candidate belongs to, because both major parties are a disasterous disappointment. I would happily vote for a candidate who:
A) Values the Constitution and traditional American culture and values over personal political gain
B) Wants to reduce government spending in meaninful ways, such as reducing entitlement programs
C) Is against higher taxes
D) Believes in equal opportunity rather than equal outcomes
E) Opposes the "I'm ok, you're ok, don't offend anyone", anything goes PC agenda

So no, I guess I wouldn't vote for a Democrat.
I don't believe there is any political party you could vote for...
A.Traditional American Values? define it before we can uphold them.. because they're constantly changing...and american culture has many differences geographically.. The america you know and love is completely foreign to someone living in hawaii, new england, or Mississippi.. and what they've always known and loved to be "traditional american values"
B. Totally agree with curbing out of control spending, but "entitlement programs" are a fraction of what really is to blame.. what bugs me is.. "conservative" politicians like to make social programs for the needy out as being the straw that's breaking the camels back..while they dish off billions of dollars to corporate interests in back room deals..so they can expand their corporate interests and make you ok with their monopolies because afterall their expansion is "creating jobs" 9 dollar per hour call center jobs mind you... So I don't know which one is worse.. the ones who are upfront about it and have their heart in the right place for creating social safety nets tied to ideology of a "great society" (whatever that is).. or the ones who claim to be all about tight purse strings, and blame those less fortunate and on the social safety nets as being "lazy" and "worthless" and the "problem" while they stuff bushels of tax payer money to their corporate buds and want us to believe its the welfare mom's breaking the bank.
C. I support flat tax.. if you make more, you pay more.. if you make less, you pay less..I support closing up corporate loopholes where money is shuffled offshore to avoid US taxes. Fix the tax system and laws regarding it before we start decreasing or increasing anything.
D. I support equal opportunity as well, but no matter how you slice up capitalism, there will always be haves and have nots.. as much as we all go to college and accumulate degrees and start businesses or whatever.. there's always going to be a need for someone to clean the toilets, serve up your food, clean your hotel room after you trash it..Something's gotta give.. either pony up and force companies to pay living wages.. or provide social programs to make up the difference where companies lack in paying these people, or allow migrant illegals to do them because nobody else will. The "equal opportunity" looks good on paper.. but you can't tell everyone to get off their butts and go to college and make something of themselves and when they do get angry because there aren't american citizens willing to pick apples or clean toilets for your company...
E.I don't agree with PC either, but doing away with it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want about whoever you want and not expect consequences for what you say.. or have to answer for them if it DOES offend someone..
say what you mean, and mean what you say...and be prepared to back it up with facts to support yourself.. and there isn't anything anyone can say.. But if we want to talk opinions..that's a whole different ball game..

We agree, and disagree...
and I'm a democrat..simply because i see them as the lesser of the two evils.. I'm fiscally conservative in most senses where spending isn't bad if return on investment can show sound promise.. for instance.the spending under FDR has made it's return on investment 10 fold.. but very much socially liberal where I don't care what you do or say so long as it doesn't impose upon someone else's liberties.. and everyone is treated equally under the law

Last edited by boiseguy; 12-17-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I'll let this thread run a bit...but it's easy for these to go down hill quickly....so everyone please avoid partisan attacks as we discuss further....just a reminder for anyone who's thinking of posting replies...
Dually noted, just checking to see if anyone knows about this new guy and get a vibe for feelings about him.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 PM

39,922 posts, read 26,625,686 times
There is also another Republican running against Otter in the primary, I don't recall his name but I picked up some of his literature at the tea party gathering last night. I'll vote whoever best represents my interests, regardless of party. At the state level, it gets difficult, I feel mosts spending and taxing decisions need to go to the lowset (most local) level. I oppose state (vs local/county) funding for schools, unfortunately the courts have tied the legislature's hands here. Most people will agree that taxes are too high, we need to decide what services we're willing to give up to cut costs.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 PM

804 posts, read 2,898,420 times
I highly doubt Idaho will go to a Dem. Even if the voters do not like the Republican 100% they would rather see a Rep in the seat than lose the seat to a Dem.

As far as equal rights go i am for it to a point. I am against certain groups getting it easier than others or being hired because they are part of one minority or another over a more qualified majority race member. We see a lot of that in the job I am in and IMO it puts everyone at risk. By that I mean we have lesser qualified individuals doing the job at a lower standard who just got hired because they of who they are not how good they are at the job. That is my biggest complaint about equal rights.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 106,241 times
Short and simple. Nope (not elaborating because I know how political discussions can get out of hand)

Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm neither Rep or Dem officially, more of a Libertarian, I have been since before it was cool, not a tea bagging Glenn Beck type. I would like to see a dem win, just to even out the power structure a little. Reps controlling congress with a Dem holding the veto stamp. However I do actually like Butch Otter. So I'm not sure who Ill vote for this go round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: