Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 PM

21 posts, read 79,834 times

Advertisements

In the Primary Election odds are that I will vote for Keith Allred. I feel like he has a much better perspective on what Idaho actually needs to stabilize its economy over the long term than any confirmed or rumored candidate from either party.

Writing that last paragraph leaves me wondering: have any Democrats formally declared their candidacy for Governor in Idaho?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUEcon81 View Post
In the Primary Election odds are that I will vote for Keith Allred. I feel like he has a much better perspective on what Idaho actually needs to stabilize its economy over the long term than any confirmed or rumored candidate from either party.

Writing that last paragraph leaves me wondering: have any Democrats formally declared their candidacy for Governor in Idaho?

Keith Allred aims for the middle in campaign for Idaho's governor | Idaho Politics | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/idahopolitics/story/1013786.html - broken link)

Keith Allred aims for the middle in campaign for Idaho's governor
The ex-professor starts his Democratic campaign for governor by challenging the 'powerful and the connected.'
BY ROCKY BARKER - rbarker@idahostatesman.com
Copyright: © 2009 Idaho Statesman
Published: 12/18/09

TWIN FALLS - Keith Allred said he would be a governor "who puts the interests of all Idahoans ahead of the interests of the powerful and connected."

Gov. Butch Otter has done just the opposite, said the newly announced Democrat who had run a nonpartisan lobby group for five years before surprising the political establishment by publicly choosing sides this month.

Allred said Otter favored the trucking industry when he proposed raising car and truck registration by 138 percent while raising fees for big trucks by only 5 percent.

And Otter's proposal to allow private companies to build prisons in Idaho would have cost the state more than it already spends, Allred said.

"I think people realize he has not been working for all of them," Allred said.

the rest at the link above.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
I have voted for very few Democrats in my life because they generally don't hold the same values as me. But I am so frustrated by the Republicans that my party loyalty is all but gone at this point. And I have to say that I have generally been happy with Walt Minnick so far.

I think there is a growing consensus in the country that is less about views on particular political issues and more about the role of the Federal Government and the relevancy of the Constitution, particularly the 10th Amendment.

So if a Democrat was running as a fiscal conservative and a strong supporter of States' Rights, willing to call out the Federal Government when it oversteps its Constitutional authority, then I very possibly would vote for a Democrat for governor.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:03 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,030 times
I would never ever vote for a democrat again for any office anywhere. The republicans in Idaho by and large represent my views far more than democrats do. I'm about ready to see a few states decide to secede from the Union. I'd like Idaho to be one of them.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM

105 posts, read 201,468 times
Default Wayne Allyn Root 2012

Libertarian for 2010/2012, [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 01-04-2010 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Political commentary

Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM

70 posts, read 159,779 times
I'm new here in ID but I will not be voting for a Democrat.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley50 View Post
I don't care what party a candidate belongs to, because both major parties are a disasterous disappointment. I would happily vote for a candidate who:
A) Values the Constitution and traditional American culture and values over personal political gain
B) Wants to reduce government spending in meaninful ways, such as reducing entitlement programs
C) Is against higher taxes
D) Believes in equal opportunity rather than equal outcomes
E) Opposes the "I'm ok, you're ok, don't offend anyone", anything goes PC agenda
Sorry, I did not understand E, but the rest I agree with...Not easy to find such a person among politicians, although it is not hard to find them in one's neighborhood.

S.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I have voted for very few Democrats in my life because they generally don't hold the same values as me. But I am so frustrated by the Republicans that my party loyalty is all but gone at this point. And I have to say that I have generally been happy with Walt Minnick so far.

I think there is a growing consensus in the country that is less about views on particular political issues and more about the role of the Federal Government and the relevancy of the Constitution, particularly the 10th Amendment.

So if a Democrat was running as a fiscal conservative and a strong supporter of States' Rights, willing to call out the Federal Government when it oversteps its Constitutional authority, then I very possibly would vote for a Democrat for governor.
I second your thoughts. I consider myself far more in line with the libertarian party platform than either D or R, however the Ls have a problem coming up with a viable candidate. I was concerned when Minnick was elected, however he has choosen to vote with the people of the state of Idaho rather than with his party on several key occasions. IIRC he voted against the stimulus bill, cap and trade (tax) and the house health care bill. I give the man credit, it takes guts to go against the party mainstream-too bad the senate Ds didn't have the same principles.

I'm actually thinking that a so-called blue dog D may be more in line with my way of thinking than many Rs.

With regard to the state governor race, I need to understand more of what are perceived of as Otter's faults, and understand where the people running against him are coming from.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM

45 posts, read 110,936 times
No!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,823 times
While the pattern over my voting lifetime tends towards the Democratic candidates, I have voted for members of other political parties in various races, and I do not claim affiliation with any one party (Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, etc.), nor will I. I do my best to hear what each candidate has to say, and then vote for the best person for the job that holds the values that I adhere to. So yes, I might vote for a Democrat for Governor...but I might also vote for a Republican, or an Independent.

Quick sidebar: IMHO, the two-party system is wrecking the United States, and I wish all voters and politicians alike would consider the values of every candidate/office holder, and not assign a sole value package based on the party of record. Some Democrats oppose abortion, some Republicans prefer to raise taxes...there should be no absolutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: