Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,688,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
D & T,
what you have experienced is not Mexico, but the mix of border, drug, uneducated and migrant cultures. It is born out of economic desperation & dependency, a parallel world of street law, and an utter lack of ignorance. The Mexicans I know are extremely sophisticated and educated.

Just like the war on terror, people fail to see beyond their own predicament. The drug economy is a complex tangle of foreign and US-based networks, all set up to feed to the multi-billion dollar market of US drug consumers. This culture has ripped apart a number of countries, Mexico being one of them. The border areas are as distressing to middle & upper class Mexicans as they are for the American middle class, perhaps even more so as suffer loss of reputational capital. Moreover, the modest, earnest, and hardworking Mexicans feel just as out of place with the extreme elements of the border and urban cultures of this modern age.

I was in Madrid during the 3-11 bombing and only 500m away when the bombs exploded. In the massive flurry of public opinion that followed, I honestly felt that I had as much in common with rational thinkers in Spain than with the apologist, bleeding heart intelligentsia in the States. The sooner we recognize the common threads we share across race and creeds and nationalities, the larger our alliances for good.

Although the SoCal cultural wars have been a largely poor Mexican/Central American experience mixing with US dimensions of excess, a student of history will recognize this pattern has been repeated many times in US history and tenfold when one looks at the migration in the Mediterranean or South America.

That people want to leave places that are run over by terrible public policies and the tyranny of subcultures seems perfectly normal. However, I am not a big fan of hatred-charged escapism or of attempts to bring the angst of earlier fights to an area almost completely devoid of these cultural wars. We are not the South, the industrial north, or Southern California, gracias a Dios.

Hatred is never a welcomed import. I think we have enough to offer as a place to live to attract your interest. While Skinheads can be fairly intelligent, they are among the most cowardly I have ever come across. If they are so keen on rooting out the worst elements of SoCal, then let them get their a$$ses down there to fight, instead of running away to an area devoid of challenges. The reference made me cringe. Honestly, marching in CDA for English-only is laughable. You want courage? look to example of Sophie Scholl. It is easy to be tough, when your "enemy" is not around.

Please come to NID for NID's sake, not because you to recreate the tension up here but with being on the dominant side. It will be hard to leave your baggage behind. It is not a question of race or racism, but of good citizenship.

Thx, S.
Great post. I wish everyone in the Idaho forum would read and reread this a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Now you know how we feel in Idaho when everyone moves here and the population grows. Our classroom sizes are growing and we need more money for schools but people don't want to pay higher taxes for that. Dmv fees are going up and they make you pay to launch your boats at the boat launches now. They all used to be free. We had are first murder in town in two years. A Mexican young man shot a local in the head because of a night club argument. That did not happen here 10 years ago. I get cut off in traffic all the time! Rude people push their way around you at the store. My hunting spot was totally invaded for the first time in 15 years. The ohv trails need more help because everyone buys 4 wheelers and dirt bikes and tears them up thinking that the forest service should fix them. I won't even ride or volunteer my time on Canfield mountain anymore because of all the people riding it. Eventually everything you hate I will hate because it is coming here. And when you raise your voice about it people tell you to shut up about it because they don't want to hear it. They found their paradise but forgot we already had one long before everyone decided to relocate here. It's really all about perspective and from your perspective Idaho is way better than Fresno. But I can remember a time when Fresno was a farming town just like our area used to be. Growth can be good but in the end what really happens is the destruction of your small town as it grows into a metro city. Idaho is on it's way and eventually I will be on my way out looking for my Idaho elsewhere. Because home got turned into suburbia...
So very true. It's so very frustrating and sad to watch Idaho change in the way it has, and nary for the better. Just more crowded and more problems.

(No offense, DesertRyder - the problem is writ large, not you on an individual basis. Can't blame you for wanting to move here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,307,126 times
Ran across a nice family in Blackfoot last night when we went to dinner. They had bailed out of Stockton, or at least the husband had, quite some years ago stating that CA was "broken".

Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Location: Lover of reason and rationality. May just happen to live in idaho
10 posts, read 29,247 times
This along with other factors is certainly a reason why people are moving to places like Idaho.

In my own limited way I am leading a campaign to remove the word "hate" as a way to silence people. Someone doesn't want you to to say something. They only need waff an intimation of that magical do-all word, "hate". No need to to give an argument in a non-circular manner. Just waff the word "hate", or just the intimation of the word "hate". Bad person, bad person.
And it's getting to be in laws too, and not just in the US.

Remove the word from any laws. Let any law say directly what it wants without invoking this generality thing of "hate". Above all: no law shall be used directly or indirectly to intimidate people from speaking relatively logical lines of argument and evidence. Maybe better is this: just drop the use of the word "hate" and even its intimation. Instead, let people struggle to explore the various pros and cons of issues on their own.
It would certainly be good if Idaho is a place that has something that can contribute what is needed to figure our way out of some of the difficulties of today.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,535,958 times
I think comments about your campaign against hate crime legislation belong in the Politics and Controversies Forum. As a taxpaying Idaho voter I will continue to voice my support of Anti-Hate Legislation. I find the elements of this thread taken together disturbing. I certainly hope that folks moving to Idaho will make their best efforts to assimilate as they would have others do elsewhere. Keep in mind Idaho was one of the first 12 states to enact hate crime legislation. Maybe someone can explain why it's ok for outsiders to move to Idaho and try to change the laws here to lessen protections from hate motivated crime, especially in the context of a conversation disparaging an ethnic group and their perceived impact on quality of life in another region?

"Definition
A criminal offense committed against a person or property which is motivated in whole or in part, by the offender’s bias against a race/national origin, religion, sexual-orientation, mental/physical disability or ethnicity."

http://www.isp.state.id.us/identification/ucr/2005/documents/HateCrimeinIdaho.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by norcalmom101; 05-17-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
With just a few weeks left at work and retirement coming all my friends ask " Why would you want to move to Idaho ".

I have given this alot of thought and there is no way to say it without sounding like I'm racist.
I am just sick of my town and my state turning into little Mexico.
40 kids in my sons classroom and the govenor is cutting teachers because the state is going broke paying for all the social programs . 45 kids next year.
Trash litters our streets and the front of homes with handfulls of children sitting there in the middle of it doing nothing. My dad would have kicked my ass for not taking the time to clean up our own yard without direction from him. It was a pride thing. . What has happened to the community sprit that led me to think that everyone's yard is always clean.
I must have watched Wally and the Beaver way too much...
Gangsters and murder every day front page of the Fresno Bee.
Cops being second guessed by liberal politicans because they were too harsh of these punks that show absolutely no regard for anybody.
I believe that if a cops has to chase some hoodlum across town at a high rate of speed his adrenline alone should find him innocent after he kicks this punks ass. Back to street duty with a pay raise and a job well done.
Now tonight in a local department store it looked like a bomb went off.
Clothes and shoes laying all over the floor with kids running unattended everywhere. Every advertisement over the PA system was in spanish.
I was imbarressed to be in there. What has happend to our town? We were outcasts in our own city.
I know that life won't be perfect when we get to Idaho.
I just want it to be an improvement from central California.
Now the TAXES , traffic , air polution, diminishing ground water, and OHV trail closures are a whole different rant.
Somebody slap me down and tell me how wrong I am.. Or is it just time for us to leave?
I'm not going to slap you down, but if you step back you might see that California becoming a third world country crosses all race lines.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM

993 posts, read 3,260,091 times
I wasn't in my usual frame of mind ( happy )when I posted this.
I was just venting and explaining why I was moving my family to Idaho.
Everyone who moves in or out of Idaho has their own personal reasons.
A better man would not have invoked the immigration issue into to explaining his actions.
Actually when I think about it I am moving to Idaho because I want to.
Not laying blame on any group or individuals. I just like it better there than Here in Central California.

Sage feel free to close this topic so we can all move on to better posts preferably with pictures of Idaho. .

Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
A better man would not have invoked the immigration issue into to explaining his actions.
Not laying blame on any group or individuals. I just like it better there than Here in Central California.

Sage feel free to close this topic so we can all move on to better posts preferably with pictures of Idaho. .
No worries DR. We all know you are wonderful and meant no harm.

So glad for you that you'll be here soon!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Idaho Hate Crime by county, 2007:
Table 13-IDAHO - Hate Crime Statistics 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2007/table_13id.htm - broken link)

A local professor's article addressing the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, which I believe ehs51 was referring to, including an explanation of the irrelevance of the "free speech" argument against it - this is a very good read:

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_bl...litics/?p=4808

Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,768,892 times
Quote:

DESERTRYDER, you have nothing to apologize for or be apologetic about. You told it as you see it and largely how it is.

No need to exit the thread with your head held low.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,480,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Idaho Hate Crime by county, 2007:
Table 13-IDAHO - Hate Crime Statistics 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2007/table_13id.htm - broken link)

A local professor's article addressing the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, which I believe ehs51 was referring to, including an explanation of the irrelevance of the "free speech" argument against it - this is a very good read:

Politics » Blog Archive » A reality check on the Hate Crimes Bill
NCM,

Thanks for the link. I think with this additional information being added to the thread I do support your earlier comments in #14. This thread seems more appropriate now in the Politics and Controversie Forum, IMHO.

Partly due to my confusion now, of what I would call basic Idaho values, besides myself how many posting in this thread are true Idaho natives? I suppose some would say because I asked that question I'm discriminating against others. That is NOT my intent, rather to ask other Idaho natives what lessons they were taught as children about accepting (or not) others who may not share the same beliefs.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho