Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 14,071 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating to Idaho near indian reservation. We are from back east and know nothing of laws governing these areas. Are you allowed travel through them? Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 12:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
Yes, you can travel through them.
Depends on which state and res.

They still only attack at dawn. Leave a few old cars in your yard and get 5-6 dogs and let the trash build up.
You will blend right in.
HW

Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,712 times
You won't have any trouble as long as you're on a federal or state highway. I-15 goes right through the Fort Hall Indian reservation north of Pocatello. The only time you might get into trouble would be if you get "off the beaten path", but that's no different than any other private land anywhere else.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:11 PM

22 posts, read 75,988 times
Ditto what pinkpalace said. In northern Idaho, stay on U.S. 95, and you will never have any trouble. Living near a reservation is not like you have to "circle the wagons" at night. Remember, you are in their nation and be respectful.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace
You won't have any trouble as long as you're on a federal or state highway. I-15 goes right through the Fort Hall Indian reservation north of Pocatello. The only time you might get into trouble would be if you get "off the beaten path", but that's no different than any other private land anywhere else.
You can also take the "old highway" US 91 right through Ft. Hall from exit 80 on I- 15

Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,240 times
Just respect the property owners as you should any ones. Also do not go hunting or fishing with out there permit and all is fine. I used to do a lot of business at the Duck valley res and found the people there to be wonderful and great to deal with. Also found the same for the one at McDermott. Same tribe in fact and great people fact some what more friendly then some other kinds of people I have known or done business with so treat as you would want to be and things are great disrespect and expect it back in retrun

Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Yes, you can travel through them.
Depends on which state and res.

They still only attack at dawn. Leave a few old cars in your yard and get 5-6 dogs and let the trash build up.
You will blend right in.
HW
I find your comment extremely racist and ignorant, Hunter World. They still only attack at dawn? Travelling on the reservation is just as safe as travelling anywhere else. It is people who stereotype Native Americans that feel otherwise. If the crime rate is higher in Fort Hall than the surrounding areas, it is because people of other ethnicities commit crimes (often hate crimes) against Native Americans. According to the U.S. Department of Justice:
· American Indians experienced a per capita rate of violence twice that of the U.S. resident population.
· Among American Indians age 25 to 34, the rate of violent crime victimizations was more than 2½ times the rate for all persons the same age.
· Rates of violent victimization for both males and females were higher for American Indians than for all races.
· The rate of violent victimization among American Indian women was more than double that among all women.
My advice is to treat Native Americans with the same respect you would anyone else, because we're all humans. The Fort Hall Reservation community will be accepting of you and you can drive right through any reservation in Idaho and be safe and secure. Stop and talk to the people for a while, and see that some of the people who have posted are ignorant and racist. These people are victims of hundres of years of racist government policies with results ranging from oppression at best and genocide at worst.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
I only know of one Rez in America that is closed to the public. And you wouldn't be moving anywhere near that one anyway. I stayed with a friend on the Nez Perce rez, and it is no different than any other community. You've got your working folks and your teenagers trying to find fun any way they can.

Like others have said, simple respect goes a long way in both directions. We (Native Peoples) are like anyone else, there are good and bad within all populations, ours is no different.

LOL @ HW. We even have a sense of humor too!

Just noticed the OP was 7/06. Hope they still have their scalps!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Wow...someone's very first post and they dig up an old thread from 4 years ago to take offense at? Someone's looking for drama, I think.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Wow...someone's very first post and they dig up an old thread from 4 years ago to take offense at? Someone's looking for drama, I think.
I like drama. I'm an Irish potato eater who eats corned beef and cabbage four times a day! I also drink profusely and complain about the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: