Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times

Advertisements

Looking for suburban and/or semi-rural suburban areas(horse properties a plus) in or around Moscow. I have some friends in the area that rave about it. Are there local resources better than national mls websites like Realtor.com? I'd like an area with robust youth sports activities as well.

Price range up to 230k, 3 bedroom or more, something fairly recent a bonus(don't want to have to remodel). Any nearby cities or neighborhoods that fit my description that may not be in Moscow proper would be a plus as well.

Also, do houses in the area come with basements typically?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Moscow is a great community. Your friends are right. A lot of the more rural land around Moscow is owned by farmers, though north and east of town there are some nice suburbs popping up where you'd find modern homes with 3 bedrooms, multiple stories for much less than the price you mention. The area is a "flood plain", though, so you'll have to check for yourself in the basement arena. With all the hills, I've definitely been in many houses there that do have basements, and in my five years at the U of I, I never heard of anyone having flooding issues (more of just a geological fact than an actual existing problem, I think). With the University campus resources, I believe the local youth sports thrive as well. I would definitely contact local realtors, too. The University is very internet savvy and there are many wi-fi locations around town, but the town advertising doesn't seem to extend in full to the Web. Best of all in my opinion, the town is extremely neighborly and friendly, so there are a cornucopia of social opportunities and festive events.

Just the general preferences presented in your post make me figure that you would enjoy Moscow.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Thank you, do you know the names of these more modern suburbs? Or are they part of Moscow? I appreciate the help. Thank you

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
They're part of Moscow. You'd have to talk to real estate agents to get a listing. I'm sure Torrie will find this thread and have more useful information than me in that arena. She's been very helpful to other posters. Until then, you may just want to browse the yellow page listings for Moscow and call some people to get listings in your criteria. By your criteria, they'll be happy to help you and your options won't be limited by any means. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM

that helps a bunch actually, thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,651 times
I was born in Moscow Idaho, lived 18 years in Idaho. I dispise the entire state. If it appears to be "open and accepting to minorities" it is because those with green are "accepted" as long as the money is there. No money, no acceptance. [MOD CUT] I was there in the 60s. It was the most anal place immaginable. Hispanics "place" was on migrant work camps. Blacks were "kept" in a work camp the forrestry ran. Natives were hidden away on reservations. No people of colour ever dared to poke their faces in town unless they were on campus. They were tolerated until graduation and all monies had been extracted. When Martin Luther King was slain, I stood up in my high school cafeteria, and suggested we take up a contribution to send to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, and got food thrown at me for my trouble. I went around to churches and got thrown out. I managed to raise only $60.00, though, but I also got suspended from school, and sent home, where I got punished by my father. He was the Director of adult Eduction for the State in those days. What a joke.

I do miss the natural beauty of the place. But, with suburban sprawl and ridiculous house prices, I guess there probably isn't so much natural beauty left, and what is, out of reach for most.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 12-27-2008 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Personal Attack

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Hard to add anything after that reply from Lonelyplanet.

On a less bitter note here is a realtor email address in Moscow.
he was very helpfull when he and I chatted.

sean@tidaho.com

Property taxes are high in town but a few miles out it almost get affordable.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Now wait...I grew up in this area as well, and my memories are quite different than Lonely planet.
I'm not saying his experience isn't valid...I'm sure it is...but during those times, that could of happened in Moscow or Alabama or Illinios or any other rural area....

But when I was there, it wasn't nothing like that at all...I never felt intimidated...(or maybe I was just blind to it) I don't know...

I always felt like 'one of the boys'...after all, they were my friends and peers...
They were all I knew...like a duck (aflak!) being raised around geese...you all grow up the same...you don't realize your 'different' in color, until you grow older and other people put it in your mind...

That aside...some of the fondest memories of my life come from that area....

Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
I can't speak to Lonely Planets experience of Moscow 40 years ago. Though I agree with Time and Space-that description could've fit many areas in the late 60s. Raising $60 seems pretty good though, considering the value of a buck at the time.

I think the cities history since then speaks volumes: hippie communes in the 70s, home of a national gay rights organization in the late 70s-80s. Still well known as Idaho's most liberal town.

I can counter one Lonely Planet comment: Idaho and Moscow are still beautiful, and prices are affordable.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
good article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: