Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 08:46 AM

560 posts, read 435,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
These wishful, detailed OP's always read like someone trying to define who they are and what they stand for to a bunch of random strangers. No one cares.
Thays not always the case, I did the same thing with the word wall post but still ended up fulfilling my ideal requirements pretty well. How about we approach people glass half full instead of being overly cynical? It's up to them to succeed or fail. Just be realistic and make reasonable suggestions and let them decide on a path to take.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Thays not always the case, I did the same thing with the word wall post but still ended up fulfilling my ideal requirements pretty well. How about we approach people glass half full instead of being overly cynical? It's up to them to succeed or fail. Just be realistic and make reasonable suggestions and let them decide on a path to take.
While I generally agree that it's best to assume people are making good faith efforts, in this instance OP copy-pasted a long and detailed wish list to three sub-forums, the user's first three posts on C-D, and then went quiet. I asked very relevant and important questions about budget and jobs/income, and no response in ~4 days.

I think people around here understandably get grouchy when outsiders assume it's cheap and easy living, as if the locals just didn't think to buy productive land with great scenery and easy access to wilderness near quaint towns with organic food and fun stuff to do. I see this All The Time from Californians (disclaimer, I'm from CA)... thinking they're going to sell their $800k house in CA and live like a king here with a house on a lake near a city with city amenities and an airport. And then they get disgruntled and start complaining about Idaho because that's not reality. Ain't Idaho's fault you have unrealistic expectations!

Old 09-03-2023, 06:47 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
While I generally agree that it's best to assume people are making good faith efforts, in this instance OP copy-pasted a long and detailed wish list to three sub-forums, the user's first three posts on C-D, and then went quiet. I asked very relevant and important questions about budget and jobs/income, and no response in ~4 days.

I think people around here understandably get grouchy when outsiders assume it's cheap and easy living, as if the locals just didn't think to buy productive land with great scenery and easy access to wilderness near quaint towns with organic food and fun stuff to do. I see this All The Time from Californians (disclaimer, I'm from CA)... thinking they're going to sell their $800k house in CA and live like a king here with a house on a lake near a city with city amenities and an airport. And then they get disgruntled and start complaining about Idaho because that's not reality. Ain't Idaho's fault you have unrealistic expectations!
I get your point. I just want to let people make their own decisions with as much realistic information as possible to consume. Who knows, it could end up working out. Otherwise, it'll just be another statistic. LOL

Old 09-04-2023, 07:47 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
It's been about a week. Though OP hasn't responded anywhere, maybe they are digesting the info given and reevaluating their options.

What they want can be done fairly cheaply if they start slow and build over the years as their income grows. Best bet is to have portable jobs, or jobs in high demand (medical, licensed construction trades as examples). Move out and rent in the bigger city near your target small town. Get established. Search for your dream property. Develop it over time.

Your list of wants can be had over time measured in several years. Moving directly into your list of wants will take lots of money up front. Good luck OP and others with your Mountain West dreams.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Yep, still no response on any of OPs identical threads. Hopefully they're come back and engage with more details, but not looking likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
What they want can be done fairly cheaply if they start slow and build over the years as their income grows. Best bet is to have portable jobs, or jobs in high demand (medical, licensed construction trades as examples). Move out and rent in the bigger city near your target small town. Get established. Search for your dream property. Develop it over time.

Your list of wants can be had over time measured in several years. Moving directly into your list of wants will take lots of money up front. Good luck OP and others with your Mountain West dreams.
I agree, but with a caveat: I think they'll need to be flexible and a willingness to make some compromises. There's nothing wrong with shooting for the moon, can be good for the sake of clarity to get all of one's wants/desires out there. But at some point reality takes over. They can get acreage for homesteading for cheap, but this probably won't be near the town/community they desire, or have some of the other attributes they want. Or, they can work hard in higher paying professions in a city (which, I get, they hate) and save like mad for a number of years to afford their dream property. It can be done. It's just not going to be easy unless they already have a pile of cash.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:17 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
[mod note] Crossposting the same content to multiple fora prohibited by the Terms of Service. Thread closed instead of deleted because of useful replies for other seeking information. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho