Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 01:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times

Advertisements

I've noticed in the Mountain Home to Boise area that the Whistle Pig colonies have completely collapsed. Two years ago they were probably at their peak, but last spring/early summer many, many were gone. Then this year I've only seen one colony, and of course they are underground again for the year. Just wondering if any other folk noticed they are mostly gone.

Besides the Whistle Pigs, I'm wondering what secondary effect there might have been? I don't see as many birds around this year, a couple in particular are much fewer Killdeer and not many redwing black birds. They seem to be way, way down in population too. I wonder if raptors and crows/magpies have switched to raiding their nests more in search of food they used to get from Whistle Pigs (caught live or dead on the roads). Something has to keep feeding these predator and scavenger birds. If it's not Whistle Pigs, then what is the next choice in their food chain?

Anyway, hopefully it's a short-term colony collapse and the little whistlers will be back out in force in a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 04:51 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
Well I managed to corner a couple of them rascals up north

Old 08-24-2023, 06:36 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

Those rascals are breakable.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:49 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
If you need help consuming them, I am available and willing to do my part. Like it says in my status, "... I am here to help!"

Old 08-25-2023, 04:57 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
If you need help consuming them, I am available and willing to do my part. Like it says in my status, "... I am here to help!"
I will be needing your help sometime in the future for sure.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Many rodent populations experience multi-year cycles. While I can't find anything specific for the Piute Ground Squirrel, I've seen it first hand hunting rabbit over the years. Populations build over multiple years in an area, followed by population crash, then the cycle repeats. We don't know for sure what causes this, other than perhaps a delayed feedback process affected by population density, such as food, predation, or disease -- or maybe a combination of factors. My guess is that populations will start recovering in future years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: