Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

New to Idaho from Michigan and our 40 acres is full of holes. Anyone have any idea how to get rid of these critters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 PM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Take a trip down to your local sporting goods store and pick up a Remington 700 5r .223 rifle and equip it with a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mm Target scope using Leupold Mk4 Rings and Base. You should also invest in reloading equipment since it will take some time and rounds to rid your property of these pesky critters. But on the positive side you will have a hell of a good time doing it.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Don't shoot the badgers. They are hunting the vermin. They will leave if you get the other critters under control, but until then, they are your allies. You might have some snakes in the back 40 too, doing the same hunting, and leave them alone as well. Other predators may come and go on your property, all hunting them. I would expect to see foxes and weasels at it, but they won't hang around and stay if there are several badgers on your ground.

If the problem is severe, go see your local ASCS extension office. They will offer some ways to control them that are probably more efficient than shooting at them.
If you have nearby neighbors, I would consider buying a .22 LR rifle instead- a good one does just as good a job on 40 acres as that spendy gun zed recommended. I have on old Ruger .22 that will cover a 40 acre field with no problem, and I'm sure there are others as good. Depending on your terrain, a .410 might work as well if you can get closer to your targets, especially with close-by neighbors and/or livestock. You don't have to be a crack shot with a .410 to get 'em.

You definitely don't want to miss and accidentally hit a neighbor's cow or horse with a high velocity bullet! That's not good for neighborly relations!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:41 AM

I agree with bnjomike that the badgers are your friends along with other predators. However I disagree with him on one point....missing and hitting something you don't want to. Unless you are using FMJ bullets the round will fragment when it hits the ground. If you are shooting at a whistle pig from a prone position, a .223 will drop about 5" at 300 yrds, so unless you are shooting right close to the next property, no problem. Yes, I realize that a .22 will work just fine, the only problem is acquiring .22 ammunition, it seems that people are hording it. FYI
Whistlepig Control | Idaho Varmint Hunters

Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 AM

There have been a series of plague epidemics in the ground squirrel population in S.E. Idaho since the beginning of the 21st century. Plague will wipe them out very quickly. We had thousand of them on our ranch for decades, but they are almost all gone now, and haven't made a comeback yet, and it's been around 4 years since they disappeared.
An early spring, especially after a cold winter when the frost penetrates deeply into the ground, will also devastate their populations. Early rain when the ground is still partly frozen floods their dens at the time when their pups are most vulnerable.

I don't know how far north the disease has progressed. Treasure Valley may not have it, but only Fish and Game will know.

Watching badger holes for fresh digging is a pretty good signal of things. If they have done a lot of digging over the summer, you have a problem for sure, but if there isn't much fresh dirt around holes, or if you don't see a badger doing its thing very much, the holes may all be old, and just evidence of a passed problem.

If your lot has been plowed, that also can make a difference. If your place has natural environment with a lot of sagebrush, the holes may not be a problem for you. It all depends on what you intend to do with your ground.

If the primary object is to eliminate a lot of ground squirrels, using gas is a lot faster and often much more efficient than using a gun Hiring an exterminator could be a viable alternative. It really depends on where the land is, the surrounding neighbors, local ordinances, etc.

I heard about the .22 hoarding. I guess a lot depends on how much shooting a person plans to do.
40 acres is only 193 sq. yards. If you want to buy a varmint rifle, keep that distance in mind when you go shopping for one.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I heard about the .22 hoarding. I guess a lot depends on how much shooting a person plans to do.
40 acres is only 193 sq. yards. If you want to buy a varmint rifle, keep that distance in mind when you go shopping for one.
I think you mean 193000 sq yards in 40 acres. A square with an area of 40 acres has the following dimensions: Each side is 1,320 feet longThe perimeter length is 5,280 feetThe diagonal measurement is 1,870 feet. The area is 1,742,400 square feet.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I think you mean 193000 sq yards in 40 acres. A square with an area of 40 acres has the following dimensions: Each side is 1,320 feet longThe perimeter length is 5,280 feetThe diagonal measurement is 1,870 feet. The area is 1,742,400 square feet.
Right you are! I dropped a few zeros!

Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,499 times
Thank you all for the advice. Since there is so much brush it is impossible to see the critters. I can hear them though. We plan to fence it all in for horses, once we plow the holes in. Might be a few years. Lol

Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Lol, ok, I've lived in Idaho all of my 37 years, and had never heard the name "whistle pig", had to look it up. Had no idea that was another name for groundhog. I learned something new, thanks.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 PM

33 posts, read 123,832 times
If there's no plague, dogs will do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area