Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As an Idahoan, do you support the Greater Idaho movement?
Yes 6 26.09%
No 12 52.17%
Undecided 2 8.70%
Don't care 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 05:14 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks, Mike, I feel more like an Idahoan now! I thought it was a bunch of hot air, too, but it seems to have legs. I tried to listen to the streaming Senate meeting, but they went through so many different issues, and I didn't have time to follow it, but I'm sure there will be something in The Statesman tomorrow.

In any event, nothing is going to happen without a federal approval.
That's true.
And I still think the scheme doesn't stand a chance of ever being approved. But it's one of those things that could become strong enough over time to be real trouble for us here eventually.

I won't ever say its impossible. The unlikely has come to pass in this nation before far too many times to make me feel secure in thinking anything is impossible here in Idaho.

Our inception as a Territory in 1860 was the first impossibility that became real, and it's happened here ever since on random occasions that are always coming unpredictably from others outside our boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 03:01 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
If anyone really wants to know what this movement is all about, they should read this:

https://www.greateridaho.org

It explains in detail what they intend to accomplish, and the website has several maps that Idahoans really need to look at.

The present plan is only Phase 1. If it gets done, Phase 2 will include even more of Southern Oregon, all the way to the coast and parts of northern California as well.
Even Phase 1 actually appears to include a small section of Washington state territory by their maps, but this is not mentioned anywhere on the website.

In my earlier post, I mentioned my alarm at how physically close to all of Oregon's many deep social problems would Idahoans would be, but I didn't realize then that in 2 areas, both so close to central Oregon's largest cities, a criminal could literally walk on foot across the border and be in Idaho. At least 2 Oregon counties would be cut in half by their proposal.

So Idaho would not be just flooded with illegal drugs. We would be getting criminal gangs and crooks of all descriptions moving here to fresh territory for them. Along with zealots of all kinds- antifa, Proud Boys, neo-Nazis, neo-Communists, and cults of all kinds. Along with street bums, welfare hunters, and other no-accounts looking for a free handout.

I remember the 1980s, when a cult bought a ranch in Antelope, Oregon and moved several thousand members there, all at once. The cult simply took over the town and ran it as they pleased.

From then on, nothing but violence ensued for years, and that included some bio-weaponry. Citizens and cultists alike were murdered, and a large downtown hotel in Portland was bombed.

While the cult eventually fell apart and broke up, there are many former members still living in the area today.

Once something like this is allowed any opening, it never goes away.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:28 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,316 times
From what I have read, Idaho voters have no say in this Greater Idaho idea.

https://constitution.congress.gov/br...0as%20of%20the

Quote:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; not shall any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
Thus, for counties in eastern Oregon to secede from Oregon and become part of Idaho would require a law passed by Congress and signed by the President (or passed over the President’s veto) and require the consent of the state legislatures of both Oregon and Idaho.

If there is a vote by Idaho legislature, I will definitely let my representatives know of my position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: