Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As an Idahoan, do you support the Greater Idaho movement?
Yes 6 26.09%
No 12 52.17%
Undecided 2 8.70%
Don't care 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 09:57 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,019,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Here is a local news video/story from a few weeks ago. Note how Barbara talks about more space for people...which equals more sprawl? What is her intent? She seems "lost".

Idaho has plenty of space for more people...we don't need to take over Eastern Oregon.

https://www.ktvb.com/video/news/loca...f-694ad91a25d0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4poB8Y9ya0
This is not a move to "take over" eastern Oregon by Idaho. The driving force is coming from Oregon where a group has been organizing petitions to get this in the ballot at the county level for at least several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Anyway, I thought this was all just a lot of complaining by a few Eastern Oregon long-term residents. Then having the Idaho House of Reps vote positively out of committee and setting up a full house debate adds a little more legitimacy to the effort. Still probably going nowhere, but not going away either.
This isn't just a few eastern Oregonians complaining about Salem. This effort has been going on for several years at least (I've been following it for that long), and they have managed to put the issue to a vote in quite a few counties, 11 of which have voted in favor of becoming part of Idaho. I think a couple counties on the coast have voted against the measure, but most counties that have held a vote have voted to join Idaho.

It's important to understand it's being driven from the Oregon side, and not by Idaho. Any claims that any specific Idaho legislators are behind this indicate a misunderstanding about how this initiative started and who is behind it.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:53 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
If it's Oregon's problem, then let it stay in Oregon!
Dividing Oregon would be easier than trying to attach half the state to Idaho.

Division has already been done once before, when West Virginia was created from the western half of Virginia.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:04 AM

1,072 posts, read 800,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If it's Oregon's problem, then let it stay in Oregon!
Dividing Oregon would be easier than trying to attach half the state to Idaho.

Division has already been done once before, when West Virginia was created from the western half of Virginia.
I think this is essentially where I've landed. I have no issue with Eastern Oregon spitting from the west and becoming their own state, but the Greater Idaho website's FAQ (under "WHY DON'T YOU JUST CREATE A NEW STATE?") states that their focus is on joining Idaho because this is more likely to actually happen. Sorry, political expediency for the desires of Eastern Oregonians is a very poor reason for the citizens of Idaho to go along with this.

Frankly, it feels very much like Eastern Oregonians want to have their cake and eat it too, They don't want the expense/hassle of moving to Idaho themselves, so they want Idahoans to pick up the tab. And they'd really rather have their own state but aren't sure if they can make this happen, so they want to pull Idaho into their problem. They're trying to present this as a gift to Idaho while at the same time pointing out to Western Oregonians that it'll be good for them because the western half subsidizes the eastern half.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:15 AM

1,072 posts, read 800,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I can't see the Oregon legislature allowing (without a fight) a state referendum that does not include the separatist counties and Idaho assuming billions or ten of billions of dollars of state debt for school properties, roads & prisons in region and perhaps asset value for those which are paid off and state lands, accrued liability for what is owed for share of public employee pensions, etc. Once the breakaway costs are part of the debate, many or most are likely to shy away from it. And some in Idaho would likely push for the Oregon counties to also assume "fair shares" of some past Idaho debts for prisons and universities and other things that would become available for them.
I think you're right about Idahoans generally walking away from this once more of the costs are known.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:18 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,910,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
This is not a move to "take over" eastern Oregon by Idaho. The driving force is coming from Oregon where a group has been organizing petitions to get this in the ballot at the county level for at least several years.
The "movement" began in Oregon by a far right man in La Pine, but some of Idaho's most far right leaders are pushing this as much or more than he and his organizers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
This isn't just a few eastern Oregonians complaining about Salem. This effort has been going on for several years at least (I've been following it for that long), and they have managed to put the issue to a vote in quite a few counties, 11 of which have voted in favor of becoming part of Idaho. I think a couple counties on the coast have voted against the measure, but most counties that have held a vote have voted to join Idaho.

It's important to understand it's being driven from the Oregon side, and not by Idaho. Any claims that any specific Idaho legislators are behind this indicate a misunderstanding about how this initiative started and who is behind it.
Those Oregon counties may have voted in favor (majority of those who actually voted), but that doesn't mean that everyone voted yes or are in favor of this.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:59 AM

8,508 posts, read 8,831,232 times
List of state splits, actual and proposed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tion_proposals

Dozens and dozens of proposals. Few mentions of actual state votes, especially since 19th century. I think only 1 mention of a U.S. Congressional vote since 19th century.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-28-2023 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-01-2023, 02:23 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Thanks for that link, NW...
It was interesting to find this is the 4th time Idaho has been planned to be split apart. But

The first was in the late 1860s! It was to be title the Territory of Columbia. The second came in the early 20th century when E. Washington was to be joined to N. Idaho to beome the new State of Lincoln.

It makes me wonder what we would be called now....

Old 03-01-2023, 02:59 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,937,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
This poll/thread is for Idahoans. If you don't reside in the state I kindly ask that you move along to something else

With the Idaho House passing a nonbinding measure to consider the Greater Idaho movement, I figure it's a good time to ask Idahoans their thoughts on the matter, including a poll gauge overall support.

Responses on this thread are also a good place to accumulate information, pros/cons, and supporting/opposing views.
So what are your thoughts?
Will there be a greater Idaho ballot measure to be voted by Idahoans? If there is one, I very much doubt that it will be passed since it appears that the annexing of these eastern Oregon counties will be more of an economic burden than a benefit to Idaho.

IMO, this proposal is purely political and quite absurd. It's not too far off from Marjorie Taylor Greene's national divorce idea!!! If state boundaries are defined solely on political alignments then where is the limit? If Boise gets bluer and bluer, should we carve the city out of Idaho?

Old 03-02-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Those Oregon counties may have voted in favor (majority of those who actually voted), but that doesn't mean that everyone voted yes or are in favor of this.
Who said everyone voted yes or was in favor? Talk about a strawman argument ...

My response was to another comment to the effect that it was "only a few" eastern Oregonians that wanted this to happen. A majority of 11 counties have voted in favor, and I think that's quite a bit more than a few.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: