Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Idaho to be a part of the Pacific Northwest?
Yes. 18 45.00%
No. 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 12:03 AM

817 posts, read 633,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The bolded is debatable. Boise actually is weird, quirky and has that NW vibe to it. There is a large tech industry, art scene, music scene, liberal citizens, a noted dining scene heavy on Vegan cuisine, etc. Boise is like a cooler, younger and of course much smaller version of Portland without the problems Portland currently has. The positive about the rest of Idaho being more conservative is that Boise, even as it continues to grow and become even more liberal, will never become a mess like Portland is know. Also, the LDS percentage in the Boise area is much lower compared to the rest of the state. The highest LDS percentage is in SE Idaho.

Treefort Music Fest, and indie fest held every March in downtown Boise, has been referred to as Portland's best music fest, was recently ranked one of the best music festivals in the world.

I think to get a proper feel of the Boise vibe, one has to actually live here or vacation here for a few months.
Boise is very much like Portland, I found it to be way more liberal than Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 01:32 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
I still think the term "Intermountain West" is the best, though it's too seldom used.

I also think Idaho is, and has always been, the heart of the intermountain region. This is the state where everything the region has- it's contradictions, unique climate and geography, and its native population, is the most uniquely Intermountain.

NearFantasica is correct; Idahoans, even the most recent immigrants, are indeed more libertarian than anything when it comes to politics.

If newcomers don't have a libertarian streak in them when they arrive, it either starts growing in them or they'll leave.

Libertarianism- the desire to do things yourself and be left alone to do them- is so ingrown and such a part of the culture here that it colors us all purple in the end if anyone lives out their life here.
It makes conservatives and liberals all libertarians first, and all other beliefs secondly. Our only difference is the different shades of purple we all eventually become.

That's very hard for any outsider to understand.
But once any person moves here and experiences what it means to be out in our wilderness alone and in trouble, Old Mother Idaho teaches them all what it Libertarianism means to the folks who live here.

Politics is a rather trifling matter in life's priorities here. We all get along as good as we possibly can with our neighbors because we must or none of us will survive. This is life in a very unkind state that can be extremely forbidding and extremely generous, always in unexpected turns

There will always come a day in our lives here when it will become Do, Or Die Alone.
Even in our cities, nature rules with a very cruel and fickle hand. Always has, always will.

Idaho is one of few places left in the United States where this is still as true as it was 159 years ago when President Lincoln established the Greater Idaho Territory.

The Idaho Tourist Commission once had a big campaign that proclaimed Idaho is what the West once was. It failed, mostly because it was too close to the truth.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:57 PM

6,361 posts, read 7,795,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Libertarianism- the desire to do things yourself and be left alone to do them...
Besides the natural beauty of this state, this is the other main reason I just love living here and being a part of this Shangri-La. We have our struggles and trials, but overall, there is nowhere else I would rather be. I am home.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 01-23-2023 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 07:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,919,143 times
I have lived in Idaho for the most years other than my native Washington State, mainly due to employment requirements. Won’t go back. This is just me, but it is too cold and a combination of income and sales tax is a negative. I have lived in Moscow, Boise, Pocatello and Idaho Falls. Really didn’t care for any except for Boise. This city is the anti-Idaho city as it is progressive and actually feels moderately like a big city. Sorry to be so coarse but as a Seattle native (first 30 years) it comes closest.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 PM

9,460 posts, read 11,216,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Not really, I think northern Idaho is in the Inland Northwest which would include WA and OR east of the Cascades as well. Seems to make the most sense to me.
Inland Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho